Sign in to follow this  
dighost

Trackir again...

The other day someone mentioned Trackir, and I mentioned that the Trackir Devs had begged for MS to include functionality in Flight well over a year ago (and that MS basically had no promises). I couldn't remember where I read the thread, but just found it here http://forum.natural...50794#Post50794

Nothing profound in the post by the Trackir devs, but just illustrates how difficult it will be to get MS to include Trackir support (if at all).

The other day someone mentioned Trackir, and I mentioned that the Trackir Devs had begged for MS to include functionality in Flight well over a year ago (and that MS basically had no promises). I couldn't where I read the thread, but just found it here http://forum.natural...50794#Post50794

Nothing profound in posts by the Trackir devs, but just illustrates how difficult it will be to get MS to include Trackir support (if at all).

MS has already said they are including it. From the beta forums:

But if you are listening, why haven’t you made any changes?

We have made changes, and are continuing to; big changes take time, and before we invest that time we need enough information to make good decisions on whether they’re the right changes. One change that’s in process is that – although at this time we have nothing to announce – due to the consistent and numerous requests for TrackIR, we’re actively working on putting it in a future update.

There. Can we put this to rest now? People keep posting in threads that they don't think MS will implement Track IR support, even though MS said they were implementing it weeks ago.

we’re actively working on putting it in a future update.

Read the words carefully - they don't actually say "we will put it in..."

Interesting fact. FSX and FS2004 did not have TrackIR support by MS. NP had to make there own support.

Kevin Miller

3D Artist and developer

But didn't MS provide an interface to facilitate 3rd-party software interacting with FS9 & FSX?

Read the words carefully - they don't actually say "we will put it in..."

Gimme a break. They're putting it in.

Couldn't TrackIR be programmed to change the views by pressing the appropriate virtual keyboard keys (or virtual mouse) to move right/left, up/down, zoom in/out? This is how I have my yoke setup: the hat switch controls point of view, I have one rocker switch that controls zooming in and out (by simulating mouse scroll wheel), and another rocker switch to move eypoint up and down. The switches are programmed to send the appropriate keyboard input to the game. I wonder if it is possible to do this with TrackIR?

I interpreted the statement from MSF as saying Track IR will be in the game. Why would they not do it? It should cost them nothing as I'm sure they will just let the Track IR folks do much of the programming and Track IR will probably gladly do it for no charge in order to help it sell more Track IR sets. What I really want first though is breaks that work with the CH pedals. Please give us working breaks first (get the CH team to work on it if necessary)!

MS provides HID APIs that every other device manufacturer has no issues using. The question should not be "When is MS going to implement custom support for this one device", rather it should be "when will Natural Point use the standard HID API that everyone else uses?".

I honestly have no idea why this point is being overlooked, it is Natural Point that should be taken to task, not MS.

Couldn't TrackIR be programmed to change the views by pressing the appropriate virtual keyboard keys (or virtual mouse) to move right/left, up/down, zoom in/out? This is how I have my yoke setup: the hat switch controls point of view, I have one rocker switch that controls zooming in and out (by simulating mouse scroll wheel), and another rocker switch to move eypoint up and down. The switches are programmed to send the appropriate keyboard input to the game. I wonder if it is possible to do this with TrackIR?

No that is not the way track it works. It is a precision controller that controls movement in 6 axes. It behaves like a joystick in that when you place the controller in a certain position, the output while always be the same.

Some alternatives to track it work as you describe, and it is not intuitive.

Gimme a break. They're putting it in.

Microsoft hasn't said that. Remember the frustration of all those who interpreted what Microsoft said about Flight to mean it would provide more than it actually did?

Until it's actually announced, TrackIR could still be dropped.