Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Flight interest dwindling...too bad

I really enjoyed Flight when it first appeared, and was spending a lot of time with it compared to FSX. I really couldn't believe what I perceived to be a phenomenal potential for this sim.....I mean "game". The scenery, the smooth frames, and the Maule were wonderful previews of only good things to come. When the Zero came out sans cockpit, my dream of what Flight was going to evolve into started to dissipate. Now that the P-40 has come on the scene without visible controls, I am almost exclusively back to my favorite sim, FSX. I bought the Globemaster yesterday, and the Carenado Beechcraft 90 the day before.

Even though Flight got me hooked initially by giving us the Icon with VC, the Maule with VC, the Vans RV with VC, and the Stearman with VC, I'm ready to admit that Flight will go the way AEROFLY FS went for me. It is a "flight game" lacking life....no cars....no real weather....no air traffic...no flight freedom, .and it will be forever a game. There is nothing wrong with that, and Microsoft NEVER said...."As real as it gets" for this program as it has for FSX. I'm glad they didn't, because that would truly be false advertising.

Too bad, because with a little more effort, FLIGHT could serve both flight sim populations, and all demographics.

Stan

Too bad, because with a little more effort, FLIGHT could serve both flight sim populations, and all demographics.

Sad, but true.

Microsoft said themselves at release that they would be "Welcoming the millions of existing simmers" or something like that, in addition to the "casual gamer" But I feel like their losing that..... :sad:

Hi,

I think this post would be a welcome addition to an FSX forum. Probably cheer up the folks that are still partial to FSX. But here, with the rather smarmy references to "game", it will likely depress and offend many who have seen enough negativity. I prefer Flight to FSX but have never saw any benefit in expressing this in an FSX forum. I think there might be a touch of "whistling past the graveyard" in what prompted you to post in this forum.

Jim F.

Sad, but true.

I must agree. I have tried to keep myself busy catching aerocaches, doing some flying, and redoing challenges.

Haven’t done multiplayer, serious flights or missions in more than a week. (Since about the time we found out it was a cockpitless P-40)

I guess the feeling is wide spreading; Steam stats are some of the lowest I have seen in days.

Current Players: 570 Peak Today: 664 Microsoft Flight 03:05 p.m. 25/04/2012 http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

All my hopes have been placed in Alaska, we'll see if it delivers what we expect.

The game is about two months old. The planes without VC's were already being worked on before the game was released. If MS had decided this would be the future of Flight while they were working on it, they wouldn't have added VOR and ILS to the game. You say that with a little more effort, FLIGHT could serve both flight sim populations, and all demographics. I would say with a little bit more time FLIGHT may become just that. Let's give it some time.

I love Flight but as it is now it will not be the game I will be playing for years to come. Alaska better be good or even I :wink: will lose hope.

Allow me to quote Rambo "It's over Jonny.....its OVER"

Indeed....

MS should just get an SDK done and hand this over to 3rd party devs ASAP. They can still make the toy planes as DLC if they want.

It's the only hope.

Indeed....

MS should just get an SDK done and hand this over to 3rd party devs ASAP. They can still make the toy planes as DLC if they want.

It's the only hope.

Umm... It is not really the good way to go at this moment. I am currently trying to persuade them to create a cockpit for next DLC.

I havent played Flight for a month now, its dead for me, to be honest i think its only a matter of month before the plug is pulled on this fail.

How is it not the "good way to go at the moment"?

I would really love to know what MS plans on doing with this program. So far the strategy seems to be cater to the Xbox drones and that's about it. It's a real shame as clearly the Flight engine has bags of potential, it just needs putting in the right hands.

Let's give it some time.

I completely agree. I still have full expectations for Flight down the road having all the extras anyone could hope for via DLC purchase (ATC, complex aircraft, large regions, AI traffic), for the simple reason of why would they not and further the underpinings for it appear to be in the game or in the code. I feel lucky to be able to play around with the stripped down version for free when normally we would have to wait until Fall to try out a big name release like Flight. Would anyone rather be sitting around speculating about the game based on some screen shots released by MS untll this fall? Essentially, they released a working Beta or Alpha stripped down version which happens to work perfectly with their marketing and DLC based sales strategy so win win for eveyone. By this Fall my guess is that there will be about as much DLC content available for MSF as one would have expected with a more complete program and a year or two from now I'd be shocked if most of the extras available for FSX are not available for MSF. That being said, for the moment I'm still primairly flying FSX becuase I want ATC and AI traffic and want to fly in many other places and probably will not purchase from MSF, beyone the Maul which I just had to try, until there are enough other bells and wistles available with MSF.

I still hope for FLIGHT to become even better than what it presently is already.

I'm probably one of the pickiest guys on Earth regarding accuracy in flight simulation, and one that spent years tweaking, and looking for the perfect add-on, with detailled cockpit, from the basic Cessna 150 to the most complex airliner.

A friend of mine when he started reading my positive comments on cockpitless DLCs said: - well, I believe you like it because you can't blame the MP, RPM, FF, TC, AH, etc... for not functioning realisticaly - they are simply absent :-)

I bought the p51 and the Zero, and am amazed at the level of detail all airplanes in FLIGHT have, up to the best add-ons for fs9 or FSX. The new sound/visual/physics effects, things like the drag from the assymetric gear retraction on the Zero causing a yaw moment, doors oppened on the Maule creating yaw moments as well as drag, etc...

OTOH I can't understand how some basic aspects, that were correctly modelled in, say, FSX, are wrong - like the irritating (for me) fact of the RPM having no influence on the Manifold Pressure (Maule, Stearman and RV6), but I emailed the FLIGHT team those findings and look forward for their correction.

I didn't buy the p-40 yet....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

The game is about two months old...

Exactly. I do find rather sad the impatience, the unrealistic pricing expectations, the arrogance (the reference above to XBox players as 'drones' (does that make sim players the 'Queen bees'?!)) the unwillingness to participate in a more inclusive style of game, wherein complexity is deliberately set low, so as not present a barrier to new entrants.

I have tried to use the ridiculously easy multi-player function to welcome new young players. Most can't fly too well, or know their ILS from their elevator, but without exception have proved capable of having fun, and enjoying this new 'realistic feeling' flying experience. And I like to think that following me around a circuit, with an eye on wind direction, will have begun to teach them the basics...

Of course flying in police colours might also help ;)

Does anyone not think that as a business, MS should have planned all their DLC out long before release (regardless of team size, they are a business) and that what we have been getting is all part of the plan? I really can't see them releasing flight and then going, let's see what sells and then we'll take it from there, but hey I could be wrong (which might explain what no other areas released yet)

Either way, I am barely clinging to any hope that Flight will provide me with any more joy since i have exhausted the hawaii area and the planes with VC. I was really loving the new shadowing and the water and the performance.

Best, Michael

KDFW