Sign in to follow this  
Sigma54

Maule 'twitchy'

I'm wondering if anyone else finds the Maule much more 'twitchy' compared to the other planes (RV6, Icon, Stearman)? I find that with any sort of wind, it requires more or less constant adjustments to maintain heading and level flight. Crosswinds seem to lift up the windward wing at low speeds (less than 120 kts) although that would seem to make some sense. I'm just wondering if the Maule requires any special trimming or perhaps an optimal speed that helps to make it more stable and less 'twitchy'?

The Maule was extremely twitchy and virtually untrimmable for me... until I increased the joystick dead-zone in the config file. Now it's rock solid and very easy to trim out for several minutes of hands-off flying.

The other planes were a little twitchy. Now they're relatively sedate if I'm gentle with the controls. But if I yank, they'll bank.

Before the last update the Maule was extremely twitchy on the controls. The last update added a non-linear smoothing curve to the control file and made all the planes a lot better, but especially the Maule. I even had to *reduce* the dead zone to get a better feel. If you didn't let the control file update, you may not have the smoothing.

I can't tell if the OP is talking about the controls being twitchy, or the plane reacting more than others to atmospheric conditions. If it's the latter, I have no idea.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Yeah, the non-linear response curve also made a big improvement to the handling, but it sounds like he's having trouble with it now post-patch.

If it's just the wind, that can be tested by loading a weather condition with minimal wind.

I too reduced the deadzone on my CH combat stick down almost none. The CH stick does not wander. With the non-linear response curve, you can now get more precise control when you are trying to land at those difficult airstrips with trees on both sides and lots of crosswind or gusts.

Brian

I can't tell if the OP is talking about the controls being twitchy, or the plane reacting more than others to atmospheric conditions. If it's the latter, I have no idea.

I guess I would say a bit of both. The controls seem a bit twitchy and it seems to react more to atmospheric conditions compared to the other aircraft. I will try in windless conditions to see if there is any difference. I think I have the newest version (1.0.1.30029)

I don't think I changed the null zone settings from the default. I think those can be set in the standard.xml file? Does anyone have a recommendation with regards to settings for null zone and sensitivity for the Saitek Pro-Flight yoke?

Thanks!