Sign in to follow this  

A question for anyone who would know the answer....

I am planning to go to Avation school and train to become a proffessional pilot and I was wondering if there are any restrictions on eyesight (if you're allowed to wear contacts, glasses and so forth)?Thanks!Grzegorz

there's no legal restrictions on wearing glasses or contact lenses (though there may be a maximum strength, but it will be quite high) for commercial pilots.That's not to say that airlines may not impose their own stricter limits (and in the current climate they have the luxury of choice so they can choose to select only perfect specimens).If you think your glasses may be a problem you'd best contact the responsible organisation in your country (in the US that would be the FAA, in the Netherlands the Aeromedisch instituut or the Divisie Luchtvaart).

Yep, its 20/20 corrected vision to fly...(or better) that took a load off my shoulders when I needed glasses/contacts .... :DGood Luck in your training, too! :-jumpy

Thanks for the answers... I do have 20/20 corrected vision and I plan to go for my first flight sometime this year (intro flight I mean). I was reading about being a pilot and this is the one career I found to balance good money with something I would love doing. :)I am very happy with the answers and I look forward to many happy landings :)

One thing i do reccomend that if you do have vision problems is that wear contacts when you fly as much as possible due to the fact that when you are learning to fly,(TCAS has kind of taken the worry about that out of my mind for now but i still give a good look coming into heavy traffic areas) a major part of your VFR traffic scan is out of your periphrial, (spell check that please),. Anyway, just thought i would drop my two cents in on that, and good luck with it, but most of all have fun.