Sign in to follow this  
EI-ROB

PMDG Speculated Future Releases ?

Guest firehawk44

I'll add a picture later to show you how much better this view is on the CS 767.

I have the CS757 and it is similar and much better than PMDG's rendition. As I recall though with PMDG, this is a sore subject with them and they take pride in excellence with everything else like the modeling, the exterior, and the VC (and they do a super job in those areas). Maybe we can be lucky and have some addon developer come up with an cabin interior and passenger wing view.

I think that they need performance data that is more precise as its flown more in real life. Basically they need a couple of years to see the REAL specs of the 787

I was thinking the same thing but the program has been going on since 2004 and think most of the performance data has been finalized, at least according to this Boeing link - http://www.boeing.com/commercial/787family/background.html. New performance data can be modified through updates.

Best regards,

Jim

Yeah but it can change when they're actually in service.

Maybe the 788's rolling off the line right now have pretty close specs to what was planned but earlier ones certainly dont.

Lee

a320/19.........I could truly recreate pretty much every flight of the past 5 years of my life in an Easyjet livery :D

It's funny... In the PMDG forum you have unofficial moderators saying what does and does not belong in the PMDG forum. Wonder if someone will come along and say this topic DOES belong in that sub forum?

On topic:

You can get a "feel" for what PMDG is planning if you check in the sub forum and watch all 4 parts of RSR's presentation. One of the big things he said was (paraphrased) "We want to make what people can go to the airport and see". Additionally, he mentioned (paraphrased, and with light humor) "We sold more MD11s than MD did". They have already flatly stated they will not be making a 757 or 767. Aside from the last two planes, they did not necessarily preclude making planes others are developing.

Well... what's left?

The criteria appear to be something you can see at the airport, but not a 757 or a 767... 737, 747 and 777 are already on the board. 787 makes sense. But what's after it? IMO (just my opinion) there seem to be three options:

1) Airbus

2) Regional Jets/turbo props (Dash 8 would fit here)

3) Emphasis on their classic series

We'll just have to enjoy the ride! I'm a big PMDG supporter, but I'm also glad we have options like FSLabs.

With the new hardware, good addon developers and the right tweaks, its really a good time to be flying FSX!

"I am the Master of the Fist!" -Akuma

I think if they could get their hands on the info to build an airbus a320/30/80 it could be the best selling aircraft addon of all time! Almost zero competition..

sorry lads, I'm not usually one to get in on these speculation threads, but this topic does interest me, so here goes my $0.02 :LMAO:

The 787 has to be a given right, and just a matter of timing. I imagine the 77* & 748 projects will keep them busy enuff that an entire new project (other than the DC6) wont see the light of day this year. Seems like despite so few of the 787s are in the air that with PMDGs decent relationship w Boeing and operators (who is their partner operator?) that they'll get peformance data soon enough. I reckon there'll be pressure on them though to let the 77*/748 sell in the market for awhile before they distract buyers w the 787 so if I were a betting man I'd say late next year for the 787 release :Thinking:

The Airbus family just have to be out, lets be honest, I'd bet my house (if I actually owned it) on PMDG NOT releasing an Airbus of any shape inside the next 2-years.

So apart from the 787 will there be another filler project like the DC6?

Regional jet wise there seems to be way too much competition in the BAE146 area. I suppose a ERJ/CRJ entry is possible, lots of variants to model and sell and I think PMDG would probably secure customer orders away from the FeelThere offerings, and there are plenty of these in American and European skies to appeal to punters.

In turbo-prop land either an EMB120, Saab340 or Metroliner (one of those underway elsewhere) would be fantastic as would a Dornier 328 prop or jet but not sure there'd be that much visibility or demand for them customer wise. There is a gap re the L-1011 Tristar but that seems like a big commitment and would kind of scavenge sales of the MD11 wouldnt it? Also cant see much likelyhood of a Russian airliner release (TU134/154/204, An148, Il76/96) which are fabulous machines but would the realistic systems modelling mean virtual western pilots might be put off coz its so unfamiliar?

From the videos and interviews lately it seems like the Dash8 would be a canididate (as would a replacement for the Flight1 ATR), they're clearly started virtual construction on it, but the message from Rob didnt seem overly optimistic which is a shame coz the Dash is such a great aircraft.

Now I know it'd hardly be a "filler" project, but I bet that between the 77*/748 and 787 releases that they'll announce a 737 classic series. It DEFINATELY fits the "aircraft people see" criteria, hardly a day would go by when a spotter wouldnt see one, and the Wilco Evo although an improvment (IMHO) leaves a lot of detail holes to be filled by someone like PMDG.

Dean Stringer

I think if they could get their hands on the info to build an airbus a320/30/80 it could be the best selling aircraft addon of all time! Almost zero competition..

There is Fslabs already making A32x and after that very likely also A330 and A340.

Will it be PMDG level??

Hello

Yes it will be, given the developers last release and the fact that the Lead developer was part of PMDG at one point.

However, 'almost zero competition' is not the same as 'no competition at all', and when FSL get their A320 out of the door later this year, unless it really sucks (which I should think will be unlikely), that will mean the door is pretty much closed on another developer making a high end one, since the market would already be saturated. And what is more, the development work FSL will have done in order to create that A320 will mean that FSL is a long way down the developmental road toward all the other 'buses. Which is something it would be foolish not to be mindful of; anyone who has seen Lefteris Kalamaras' preview presentation of the FSL A320 will be aware that that is likely going to be every bit as much a benchmark as any other high end FS airliner we have seen.

I think most people are aware that when Lefteris went from PMDG, where he was the technical director and lead developer if memory serves, the idea of an A320 went with him, and since one of the developers of the only decent FSX Airbus to date - the SimCheck A300 - is now also at FSL, that only serves to make the aforementioned even more likely. Things can change of course, and they often do, since nobody signs their name in blood when they go working for a developer, but if someone is happy where they are, then they will probably stay there.

PMDG will, in my opinion, most likely be already laying the groundwork for a 787 with a view to pulling it out not too long after all the stuff currently confirmed to be on the cards is safely out of the hangar door, and their souped up (or more accurately, completely redone) FSX 747 will probably aid in this, since from a technological standpoint, the 747-800 variant has a lot more in common with the 787 than it does the 747-200. Boeing could hardly be disappointed with what PMDG have done in creating their NGX, so I should think they will be more than happy to continue offering technical assistance to PMDG, at least moreso than any other developer is likely to receive anyway.

I predict big things for PMDG's Classic range too, we know that several of the big cheeses at PMDG are fans of stuff like the DC-3 (who can blame then?) and that's a big open arena for FS development when the only competion is A2A, and the genre is so very wide, wide enough to support two or more high end developers for sure, especially when they remain on good terms and can simply say 'we're doing this one' to one another to avoid any developmental clashes, as indeed A2A have acknowledged would likely be the case.

Most of the above is merely a guess of course, but it is an educated one.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

PMDG will, in my opinion, most likely be already laying the groundwork for a 787 with a view to pulling it out not too long after all the stuff currently confirmed to be on the cards is safely out of the hangar door, and their souped up (or more accurately,

more accurately, completely redone) ...

Didn't anyone see the video of Rob's presentation from the Aerosoft convention ?

He as much as told us they are not doing a Boeing plane after the 747.

"Our development agenda has us going though the next 2 big boeings, and then we've got something

really nice up our sleeves after that..."

If you heard what he said earlier in the presentation about PMDG paying attention to producing aircraft you actually see at your local airport, as a lesson learned from the MD11 project. It actually makes sense to hold off on the 787 for a while until it is seen more regularly at your local airports.

Basd on that I'd say a PMDG Airbus would seem more likely after the 747.

Regards.

Ernie.

ea_avsim_sig.jpg

To be completely accurate in that assessment however, he said they were doing two big Boeings, i.e. the 747 and the 777, and then something else, no mention of it not being a Boeing, and the 787 is not a big Boeing, it is a mid sized twin, thus nothing that was said indicated that it was off the agenda. I'm not suggesting we'll see a 787 in a very short while, but I reckon we will see one eventually, it is, after all, their area of expertise.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Didn't anyone see the video of Rob's presentation from the Aerosoft convention ?

He as much as told us they are not doing a Boeing plane after the 747.

"Our development agenda has us going though the next 2 big boeings, and then we've got something

really nice up our sleeves after that..."

If you heard what he said earlier in the presentation about PMDG paying attention to producing aircraft you actually see at your local airport, as a lesson learned from the MD11 project. It actually makes sense to hold off on the 787 for a while until it is seen more regularly at your local airports.

Basd on that I'd say a PMDG Airbus would seem more likely after the 747.

Regards.

Ernie.

Ernie,

would your outfit consider making a more upscale 757 and the 767 family to boot?

Jeff Bea

I am an avid globetrotter with my trusty Lufthansa B777F, Polar Air Cargo B744F, and Atlas Air B748F.

I am sure it's going to be another Boeing...We need more Boeings-- not enough Boeings out there...As to Airbuses, well...NO...PMDG wouldn't want to fail as everyone else has...Airbuses takes more than some pretty little painted graphics...An Airbus requires some serious engineering ! Just my 6 cents. (lol) And someone out there is too scared to even try!