Sign in to follow this  
N1G

Rex Textures and ORBX

If you have ORBX active, will the REX textures all install correctly? The reason I ask is because you have to select ORBX with their utility, I was just curious whether or not REX would install to the inactive scenery.

Thanks

Bob

REX will install and run perfectly with Orbx....whether or not Control is set to default fsx or set to one of the regions. The Orbx control works with scenery that is regional and local in nature and does not impact the global settings that are set with REX.

Bryan Wallis aka "fltsimguy"

Maple Bay, British Columbia

Near CAM3

REX will install and run perfectly with Orbx....whether or not Control is set to default fsx or set to one of the regions. The Orbx control works with scenery that is regional and local in nature and does not impact the global settings that are set with REX.

Thanks much for chiming in!!

Regards

Bob

Yep, don't worry. REX and Orbx aren't both accessing the same textures. The ones REX changes are global in nature. Orbx contains their work in a separate regionally-based folder structure. The two get along famously.

Yep, don't worry. REX and Orbx aren't both accessing the same textures. The ones REX changes are global in nature. Orbx contains their work in a separate regionally-based folder structure. The two get along famously.

Hi Bill,

Ok, so if I change the runway textures I will see the new textures while using ORBX scenery. When you said "aren't accessing the same textures", I thought for a second that ORBX had their own runway textures and my new selection would not be seen. I guess I am over thinking again yes?

Bob

Bob, the only time you will see REX runway textures while using an ORBX scenery area is if - a. the airport doesn't have custom runway polys or b. the airport in the ORBX area is just a spruced up ADE file.

Now if your in the PNW and go to KSEA, then yes, you will see an REX runway texture while using ORBX because that airport is just using a newer ADE that ORBX developed, but if you have ORBX KORS installed then you will see the ORBX custom runway due to the fact that it has its own custom runway poly.

Most of the custom payware airports offered by ORBX have their own custom runways and some offer a way to turn off the custom runway poly and use the default/REX runway textures.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Bob, the only time you will see REX runway textures while using an ORBX scenery area is if - a. the airport doesn't have custom runway polys or b. the airport in the ORBX area is just a spruced up ADE file.

Now if your in the PNW and go to KSEA, then yes, you will see an REX runway texture while using ORBX because that airport is just using a newer ADE that ORBX developed, but if you have ORBX KORS installed then you will see the ORBX custom runway due to the fact that it has its own custom runway poly.

Most of the custom payware airports offered by ORBX have their own custom runways and some offer a way to turn off the custom runway poly and use the default/REX runway textures.

That is good to know. I am really glad I asked the question. So KORS runway then is not really a runway as far as FSX is concerned it would seem. ORBX overrides the runway in some way if I understand your explanation.

Bob

That is good to know. I am really glad I asked the question. So KORS runway then is not really a runway as far as FSX is concerned it would seem. ORBX overrides the runway in some way if I understand your explanation.

Bob

Think of it like this Bob. REX runway textures will only be displayed at airports that are either stock FSX airports, stock FSX airports that have been modified using ADEX or similar programs and uploaded as an "AFCAD", or an aftermarket airport where the developer didn't design custom runway or ground textures and chose to use the ones that would be by FSX itself using an ADE file or AFCAD.

Some examples would be FSDreamteam, FlyTampa, Aerosoft, Imaginesim, TropicalSim, and for the most part ORBX that design all their airports using their own ground (taxiway, runway, apron) textures that are essientially displayed over the underlying stock or REX textures. When I say displayed over the stock textures, I mean that in the sense that they are not replacing or modifing the stock or REX textures, but mearly displaying thier textures over the top of what would normally be underneath if the said aftermarket airport where not there.

The only devs that I know of that use default runways, taxiways, and aprons in their payware products are BluePrint Simulations. Aside from them, most developers make their own ground polys that display custom runways, etc, in which case whatever REX runways you have installed wont be seen.

In essence, REX runways are really mostly effective if you dont have any aftermarket airports installed in which case the REX ground textures will be like an upgraded version of what FSX would display be default. In my case since I have a lot of aftermarket airports installed and generally dont fly to any stock FSX airports anymore, expect the few BluePrint airports I own, I never see any of the REX ground textures (runways, taxiways, etc.) that I have installed,

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Thanks Fella's,

I could not have said it better myself :Nerd:

That clears it up perfectly. Thanks a bunch.

Bob

Rex use "runway11.dds" replacement for concrete runways, and "runway12.dds" replacement for asphalt runways.

I found out that many other STOCK airports uses different .dds (ie runway19.dds, ruway20.dds and so on...)

So for example i can see rex runways @ KJFK, but not in LIRF... (and not in any other italian airports....:-( )

So my question is: is there a way to tell FSX to use ONLY "runway12.dds" for EVERY airports?

Uhm... got myself an answer right now while i am writing.... just copy the same "runway12.dds" that comes with rex, make multiple copies and reneme them accordingly..... maybe it could work.