Sign in to follow this  
d-aish

i5 2500K

Hello Folks,

i have one question. Does a i5 2500K Processor be good enough for the 737 NGX on one of the Aerosoft Mega Airports?

Thank you very much,

Adrian

of course Adrian, i am using i5 2500k non overclocked, and getting 20-30 locked to 30fps at EHAM mega airport, of course it will be enough, cheers.

Hello Daniel,

thank you very much for your fast reply. :-)

Okay, i will order the PC in the next days :)

Regards,

Adrian

Adrian,

Simple: yes.

I'm in the same boat as Daniel, I have a 2500k but it's not overclocked and I still get excellent frames.

If I were you I would get the Ivy Bridge series, though. They're newer and apparently better.

Excluding ivy bridge, the 2500k is about the best CPU you can use for fsx given the price tag.

linux731[/color]' timestamp='1335584341' post='2353747']

If I were you I would get the Ivy Bridge series, though. They're newer and apparently better.

They are slightly better at stock speeds. -- If you plan to overclock, the SB lineup runs much cooler than the IB chips.

I agree with the other posters; the i5 2500k is very well suited for FSX. I highly recommend ordering any computer parts from Micro Center or picking them up from a local Micro Center store. Their prices beat any other site like New Egg and Tiger Direct. I recently upgraded my motherboard, processor, and RAM, and I paid $100 for a top Gigabyte motherboard, $180 for an i5 2500k, and $40 for 8GB of Ballistix RAM at Micro Center. I noticed a huge improvement over my old i7-950 processor, which was cooled with an H50 cooler (discontinued now) and overclocked to only 3.84ghz. Using that same cooler, I was able to overclock my new i5 2500k to 4.5ghz with no trouble. The i5 2500k is a very good processor for FSX, especially at only $180.

I agree with the other posters; the i5 2500k is very well suited for FSX. I highly recommend ordering any computer parts from Micro Center or picking them up from a local Micro Center store. Their prices beat any other site like New Egg and Tiger Direct. I recently upgraded my motherboard, processor, and RAM, and I paid $100 for a top Gigabyte motherboard, $180 for an i5 2500k, and $40 for 8GB of Ballistix RAM at Micro Center. I noticed a huge improvement over my old i7-950 processor, which was cooled with an H50 cooler (discontinued now) and overclocked to only 3.84ghz. Using that same cooler, I was able to overclock my new i5 2500k to 4.5ghz with no trouble. The i5 2500k is a very good processor for FSX, especially at only $180.

of course Adrian, i am using i5 2500k non overclocked, and getting 20-30 locked to 30fps at EHAM mega airport, of course it will be enough, cheers.

guys, how much did you spent for your systems, without the desktop (I own one that is good enough)?

guys, how much did you spent for your systems, without the desktop (I own one that is good enough)?

It's hard to say really...when I bought my original system over a year ago using the old i7 I spent nearly $1400, however, now you can get a good i5 2500k system for about $850. Looking at your specs, you would notice a significant performance increase with an i5 2500k system over your current one. I run TrackIR, AS2012, and vroute while I fly on maxed out settings with UTX and GEX installed and have smooth frames all the time, even with the NGX in an FSDT scenery. PM me if you want some guidance on a new system. I would be more than happy to plan out hardware for you and build it up if you would like.

May I ask why you guys buy the k-series if you don't overclock them? A simple 2500 would have given you exactly the same performance for a lot less cash.

May I ask why you guys buy the k-series if you don't overclock them? A simple 2500 would have given you exactly the same performance for a lot less cash.

I had original plans (when I bought my computer) to overclock it, but I've never really seeked help nor read the manuals so the thought of overclocking just swifted away. I still plan on doing it, but it's not my main priority.

You should really try it, overclocking Sandy Bridge is a breeze.

Like driving a 458 Italia at 50mph all the time!

-Iain Watson-

You should really try it, overclocking Sandy Bridge is a breeze.

Would you recommend doing it for Laptops? I've got an Sandy Bridge i7 - 2670QM 2.2GHz (Turbo to 3.1GHz) I get around 30FPS with the NGX on a UK2000 Scenery, not too bad for a laptop with High settings but when I connect my external monitor I have a feeling that will drop to about 20FPS as going from 720p to 1080p.. Advice?

I agree with the other posters; the i5 2500k is very well suited for FSX. I highly recommend ordering any computer parts from Micro Center or picking them up from a local Micro Center store. Their prices beat any other site like New Egg and Tiger Direct.

That depends. I'm looking at building a system right now, a 2500K actually, and I've cross shopped both NewEgg and Microcenter. While Microcenter does beat Newegg on price with certain components, they still charge sales tax in my state, whereas NewEgg doesn't. For a $1200+ system, that equals a $115 difference between the two, such that NewEgg is actually significantly cheaper than Microcenter is for the same system. Plus, NewEgg has a better selection, I couldn't get exactly what I wanted from Microcenter, where I could with NewEgg.

-john paul