Sign in to follow this  
Terrence12380

Running out of memory space when using 737NGX

Hi i am having a problem with the PMDG 737NGX. I hae a windows vista 32 bit. I have a 8GB RAM and a processor: Intel® Core2 QUAD CPU Q9550 @ 2,83GHZ 2.83 GHZ...I don't know a ton about computers but whenever i use my 737PMDG i get an eror message after a certain amount of time. I will admit I like to run lots of Addons including Ultimate Traffic 2 and scenery. If anybody has any Ideas let me know. If you need any more information on my problem I will be more than happy on getting you that info. Thanks in advance,

Terrence

Fsx is running out of resources. The 4 biggest hogs in no particular order are autogen, traffic, water and weather complexity. Try putting water to low2x (I'm running almost 5ghz and still use low2x water) along with turning down the others a bit. If you use ase for the weather use fewer cloud layers, if you're in orbx scenery the autogen is already pretty high there so you could try turning it down a bit.

As a last resort, there's a tweak called the "3gb switch" you can use on 32-bit systems like yours that'll take memory away from the system and give fsx a full 3gb to use. If you have other programs running it can lead to system oom's however, so use it at your own risk.

The 8 gigs of memory won't do you any good on your 32 bit operating system. Windows will only allocate 3.5 gigs. Your other 4.5 will go unused. You can either upgrade your os to a 64 bit version or you can try turning down the settings you are currently using. Low res textures in the ngx very low autogen settings and about 5 to 10% traffic should help get you started.

DJuan Carter

You've got yourself a problem here. As other said, you have a 32-bit system and that is limited to 3.5 GB inclusive your memory on the graphiccard. So first of all try to update to a 64-bit system. That will help a little. But again FSX is also limited to 4 GB as it is a 32-bit program. And with lots of add-ons it is very easy to reach that limit. Another thing you can do, so you will not get those damn OOM's is to go to your settings and display in FSX and turn down the two sliders for Scenery complexity and especially Autogen density.

captureoqv.jpg

Kind regards

Peter

I have a friend who has a 32 bit and it works fine..there are also other avsim forums where people say there vista 32 bit works.I just dont get why theres would and mine wouldnt. Thanks for the help and i will try to work on it.

fps fsx booster is a programme i used on my 32 bit laptop before I built my fsx specific machine and the results were outstanding, a 30% boost. It constantly scans fsx applying tweaks. around $20

BUT having said that its still just a band aid solution and will never take you to the place where a 64 bit custom fsx Pc will.

ZORAN

Don't just think you're problems are solved by changing to a 64-bit system. As I wrote higher up, even with a 64-bit system you'll get OOM. Trust me, I've been there and I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit and lots of VFR Scenery wich looks very nice. The only thing that really helped was turning down those sliders explained higher up.

Kind regards

Peter

Yea it helps though with a 64 bit o/s, but as the previous post has said turn down your sliders first to see if that works

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

I've been in a very similar situation, out of memory errors and erratic behaviour under Winxp/32. After upgrading to Win7/64, and doing nothing else, I can now run the 737ngx without failures.

As said earlier though, you may still encounter problems if running with lots of add-ons, complex airports etc. Every time I fly the NGX, I run the SceneryConfigEditor ( a brilliant freeware program) and ensure that only the scenery I need to run for the flight is loaded with FSX, thus helping ensure that memory usage is kept to a minimum. Keeping sliders to modest settings can only help as well.

Gerard Marley

You all need to Listen to PfPeter. I jave 64bit WIN7 Ultimate, I have 16GB of RAM, a good graphics card and I still get OOMs with sliders maxed out . FSX was developed as a 32bit programme. It can only address 3.5gb of memory. You can't change this unless you re-write FSX. So even if you ran FSX on a nitrogen cooled Cray supercomputer with a gazillion GBs of RAM, it wouldn't make a blind bit of difference - you would get OOMs because of the programme limitations - nothing to do with the hardware. 64 bit Windows and additional physical RAM only helps in freeing up the 3.5GB on start up that FSX actually uses - it can use no more. Most memory errors are actually caused by virtual address space problems not the amount of physical RAM installed. Beacause FSX is a 32 bit appllication and can only address 3.5gb of RAM it manages memory by moving stuff in and out of a virtual address space on the hard disk. Sometimes this gets fragmented and or corrupted - also if you place heavy demands on the system such as having all your sliders set to Max - it struggles to find enough contigous virtual address space to park the stuff that it moves in an out of RAM so you get an Out of Memory message.

Some things that might help are

1) putting HIGHMEMFIX=1 in your FSX config file.

2) Changing your windows swap file size from automatically managed to manually managed and setting it to be equal equal 1.5 times the size of your physical RAM (techniocal reasons for this- cant go into here).

3) Enure your LOD setting in FSXConfig is not set higher than 4.5

4) moving your sliders down. autogen takes up a lot, traffic setting take up a lot, so do tool tips and aircraft labels

5) Checking your graphics card. Unlike most modern games/simulations, FSX doesn't care to much about your graphics card - it is essentially a CPU bound application. Aces designed it this way because at the time of release, graphics cards weren't that powerful. The upshot of this is that the 3.5gb of space that FSX uses includes the memory used by the Graphics card. To cut through all the technical details if you have a 3GB Graphics card, FSX will include the 3GB memory on the graphics card in with its 3.5GB limitation leaving only 0.5GB for FSX to run in. So you could end up with bags of RAM a good CPU and the latest graphics card and still get OOMs. So a graphics card with a lot of on board memory isn't a good idea for FSX. If you have one, there is a fix you can put into the FSX config file to limit memor usage to 1GB - which is the maximum recommended. Having said this, you will see some improvements with the latest graphics card but the biggest improvement you make to FSX is to get a fast CPU and, if you know how to overclock it, do so. With a combination of a fast graphics card with no more than 1Gb of on board RAM and a fast CPU you can eliminate the bufferpool setting in FSX config and get a really smooth experience with good framerates (the framerates will have to be locked at 30 to do this - but anything over 30 is a waste of time because the human eye cant discern more than 30 frames per second).

Good luck

Alright well yesturday i was able to do a flight going KSAN-KLAS with AI traffic!! The couple things I did was listening to pfpeter and setting the settings to what he showed me. Then i did the 5 things that wingsoffire told me to do and now it works. I will try another flight a bit later and see if i can do it just to make sure it still works.

Try settings clouds to simple - that's helped me with CTDs.

That's right, but OP did not have problems with CTDs, but with OOM (Out of Memory) messages.

Kind regards

Peter