Sign in to follow this  
mgardiner

It's been fun guys

After enjoying many an hour flying the NGX, it's time for me to bow out.

I had a catastrophic hard drive failure and lost everything. I didn't purchase the extended download feature (as to be honest, why should I when every other company allows me infinite time to download in most cases?).

So now I can't get hold of the bird unless I pay PMDG another $95, which is not something I'm prepared to do.

I hope you all have a great time flying the NGX, it's a shame I can't be up there with you.

Thanks

Matt G

You can purchase eds at any time, no need to pay full price. You can also retrieve the license key(s) by logging in to their commerce site & going to your order history.

Edit: In the future be sure to archive installers on a DVD, jump drive or portable hard drive. It will prevent this particular problem from happening again.

You can purchase eds at any time, no need to pay full price. You can also retrieve the license key(s) by logging in to their commerce site & going to your order history.

Edit: In the future be sure to archive installers on a DVD, jump drive or portable hard drive. It will prevent this particular problem from happening again.

I do have a portable hard drive, but it was sitting at my brothers house 60 miles away the last few months. I will be sure to do that though thanks.

I didn't realise you could still purchase EDs at any time, I'll have a look.

Thanks again.

I do have a portable hard drive, but it was sitting at my brothers house 60 miles away the last few months. I will be sure to do that though thanks.

I didn't realise you could still purchase EDs at any time, I'll have a look.

Thanks again.

Once you've purchased eds, like your original purchase, the link is only active for 7 days so it wont kick in automatically. You'll need to register at http://support.precisionmanuals.com & open a ticket to request the link be activated. Response time is typically 2-6 hours, almost always less than 24.

Once you've purchased eds, like your original purchase, the link is only active for 7 days so it wont kick in automatically. You'll need to register at http://support.precisionmanuals.com & open a ticket to request the link be activated. Response time is typically 2-6 hours, almost always less than 24.

Thanks again. I've just made the purchase.

Close call there my friend i have made many of mistakes with hardware recently but im learning heheheh .. Good to hear your up and sorted m8

That's great, I would have hated for a fellow enthusiast to give up on the world's most advanced addon over a hd crash!

It's already a big enough pain reinstalling everything without side issues cropping up. And on the bright side, your new installers will already include sp1c so there won't be any need to patch them.

Glad that's sorted. Like the others, I don't like it when people leave the hobby when it could be avoided.

For the record, there are also tons of companies that wouldn't even give you a second look as far as an EDS. Lose it? Your problem. Full price again!

Downloadable software, though the way of life nowadays, has its own risks for the developers, so you can't really fault them for how they operate. Sure other people do other things, but it's not so bad.

Honestly, the first step is personal responsibility. What happens if I lose one of my XBOX CDs? Drop another $70. BestBuy wouldn't care if I walked in with a receipt and said "well I bought it here and I lost it." So, with downloadable stuff, we've actually been given a luxury in re-download (even if it comes at a slight cost). Further, nobody is going to charge you for keeping a backup on an external drive, or better yet, a CD-RW.

Backups, backups, backups. Always.

Kyle Rodgers

The best thing about the ED, you get an up to date aircraft. If I have to re-install, I'd rather install from one file, rather than an old EXE and patches.

John Palmeri

Just a note on backups. I had a hard drive fail some time ago but fortunately I regularly back up my data so didn't lose much and certainly nothing critical. I'm moving to a home server solution (Windows Home Server running on Intel Atom based ITX) so I can run scheduled backups from that, but what I do need to plan for is the disaster scenario; burglary (we have been burgled in the past) or house fire (never happened to us touch wood). I'm thinking about an on-line solution but might just use a portable drive that I keep at work and update every two-three months (belt and braces). In the past I have used software supplied on portable drives (eg Total Media Backup) but if you have Win 7 then Robocopy can be used to mirror selected folders using a batch file which you can create yourself. I'm using this now and quite like it. Here's some typical line statements...

robocopy.exe /mir /z /r:5 "C:\Users\Tom\Music" "E:\Backup\Users\Tom\Music"

robocopy.exe /mir /z /r:5 "C:\Users\Tom\Pictures" "E:\Backup\Users\Tom\Pictures"

robocopy.exe /mir /z /r:5 "C:\Users\Tom\Videos" "E:\Backup\Users\Tom\Videos"

robocopy.exe /mir /z /r:5 "C:\Data" "E:\Backup\Data"

I think for good measure I'll burn my PMDG installs to a DVD and leave it in the car :Nerd:

Like Tom, I'm a huge fan of robocopy. As well as my scheduled disk image backups (which are indispensible, of course), every day or so I do a robocopy of my fsx *and associated files* directories to a separate hard disk. (For those who don't know robocopy, the joy of it is that it can be configured to ignore unchanged files and just update the differences, although it has other virtues, too — but the result is that it usually takes a minute or so to do the whole backup, as opposed to the time taken to use other methods. And my fsx installation is around 100 Gb....).

Here's an extract from the batch file —

robocopy C:\fsx D:\FSX_BACKUP /z /mir /fft /np /xo /mt:32 /log:"backup2D.log"

(Look up the parameters if you don't recognise them). :wink:

I also have a similar batch file that I use every couple of weeks or so to robocopy the same files to an external HDD.

Sure, in the event of a total disaster if all you had was robocopies then you'd still have to reinstall some stuff (which is why a full image copy of the entire drive is indispensible), but you can use your robocopy backups to restore individual files or reverse the effects of a single failed installation. For things like that, it's ideal.

Cheers,

Brian

Brian747-500x105-Avsim.jpg

Like Tom, I'm a huge fan of robocopy. As well as my scheduled disk image backups...

Cheers,

Brian

Brian, out of interest, how are you doing your system image backups. Are you using any third party software?

I think for good measure I'll burn my PMDG installs to a DVD and leave it in the car :Nerd:

In the CAR, might not be the best place to leave it !!

warped_cd_case.jpg