Sign in to follow this  
conura

Is this aircraft out of date?

Yeah the "six Pack" flight warning system is a joke in my opinion. I can't believe it was even certified......sorta. In the real plane it is more common than not that when you do the recall test one or more of the lights will not illumnate. You either have to press the switch multiple times or have the other pilot press thier recall switch, often multiple times, to get it to work. Sometimes you can get all the lights to light but never all of them at the same time. I've had it where I press it and get a Master Caution but no light on the six pac. Very frustrating. They kind of did an EICAS with the START VALVE OPEN, OIL FILTER BYPASS and LOW OIL PRESSURE lights. It would have been nice if they just did that with the whole system. When you look at the things they have been allowed to chage with out requiring additional training and the things they won't allow changed you can see a pattern of incosistency from the FAA/Boeing. Ok rant over.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

I agree Tom, and it seems like there's alot of wasted realestate (sp? it's late)... on that lower DU.

But that's just my opinion, and to date the FAA has not listened to me once, yet.

I agree Tom, and it seems like there's alot of wasted realestate (sp? it's late)... on that lower DU.

But that's just my opinion, and to date the FAA has not listened to me once, yet.

I think it's hypenated. Real-estate looks right. Since when does the FAA listen to anyone but money?

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Good to see a real life pilot on the board. In all honesty and in as much detail as you like, how does your sim procedure, differ to your real life ones, with regards to Preflight, TO, Climb, Descend, Approach, Land & Shut down?

Good to see a real life pilot on the board. In all honesty and in as much detail as you like, how does your sim procedure, differ to your real life ones, with regards to Preflight, TO, Climb, Descend, Approach, Land & Shut down?

Well other than being single pilot and flying NGX from the left seat (I'm an FO) I do everything exactly the same as I do at work. I use the same procedures and checklist. I don't use an ATC program when flying NGX so I do just set the MCP altitude to cruise altitiude at the gate. My brother flies 737s for Continental (still can't bring myself to call it United yet) and a friend flies them for Soutwest and I get to hear about how Alaska flies them. The interesting thing is that for it being the same airplane all the airlines have pretty different operating procedures.

Tom Landry

PMDG_NGX_Tech_Team.jpg

The interesting thing is that for it being the same airplane all the airlines have pretty different operating procedures.

well as one pilot put it (discussing pilots changing airlines) - Never mind your 5000 hours left seat in the 757, you don't know squat about flying it, so we're gonna teach you from beginning

Well other than being single pilot and flying NGX from the left seat (I'm an FO) I do everything exactly the same as I do at work. I use the same procedures and checklist. I don't use an ATC program when flying NGX so I do just set the MCP altitude to cruise altitiude at the gate. My brother flies 737s for Continental (still can't bring myself to call it United yet) and a friend flies them for Soutwest and I get to hear about how Alaska flies them. The interesting thing is that for it being the same airplane all the airlines have pretty different operating procedures.

As an airplane/airline enthusuast can you elaborate on that statement because I find it fascinating, as I regularlay fly United and Southwest for work and try to observe how they operate at the airports. I've heard Southwest for instance negotiates their own departure procedures to get higher faster and arrivals to do the same to get lower faster, at my home in TPA its fun to watch a plane on approach to 01L and see an SWA come frome nowhere and intercept the glidepath and land 1st. Once I flew Jet blue out of TPA and ther were 6 planes lined up at 19R and the captain came on and announced we were going ahead of everybody and we took off from a taxiway 1/3 up and cut everybody off.

Eric Walace

Boeing dearly wanted to move to a 777-like cockpit for the NGs, which would have included a full EICAS. Unfortunately, the FAA would not confer a common type rating for the NGs and the classics if they did, and that was that. The 737 has had the largest number of airframes produced, of any modern airliner. That is a lot of type rating "bridging" to do.

Every Boeing from the 747-400 onwards has an EICAS, except for the 737s.

* Orest

Orest Skrypuch
President & CEO, UVA

www.united-virtual.com

I wonder if they are going to update things for the 737MAX? Presumably the cockpit will be loosely based on the 787. However, if airlines such as Southwest don't want that I would not be surprised if we see more of the same classic 737 cockpit design.

Boeing dearly wanted to move to a 777-like cockpit for the NGs, which would have included a full EICAS. Unfortunately, the FAA would not confer a common type rating for the NGs and the classics if they did, and that was that. The 737 has had the largest number of airframes produced, of any modern airliner. That is a lot of type rating "bridging" to do.

Every Boeing from the 747-400 onwards has an EICAS, except for the 737s.

* Orest

Do keep in mind that a lot of aren't in service with a lot of airlines.

I wonder if they are going to update things for the 737MAX? Presumably the cockpit will be loosely based on the 787. However, if airlines such as Southwest don't want that I would not be surprised if we see more of the same classic 737 cockpit design.

I remember reading that right now they're just redesigning the engines.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Legacy ASA.

nice man! I interned for xjt when it was only xjt.......summer 2010.

FAA: ATP-ME

Matt kubanda

nice man! I interned for xjt when it was only xjt.......summer 2010.

I bet that was interesting. What base?

As an airplane/airline enthusuast can you elaborate on that statement because I find it fascinating, as I regularlay fly United and Southwest for work and try to observe how they operate at the airports. I've heard Southwest for instance negotiates their own departure procedures to get higher faster and arrivals to do the same to get lower faster, at my home in TPA its fun to watch a plane on approach to 01L and see an SWA come frome nowhere and intercept the glidepath and land 1st. Once I flew Jet blue out of TPA and ther were 6 planes lined up at 19R and the captain came on and announced we were going ahead of everybody and we took off from a taxiway 1/3 up and cut everybody off.

Eric Walace

SWA is known for keeping things moving (although they are holding people up in ATL a little while they figure out the lay of the land); however, they aren't (shouldn't be) getting preferential treatment or priority handling. They might have company specific arrivals/approaches (we have some here and there as well), but if they are being moved to the front of line for takeoff it's because there aren't any delays to the airport that flight is going to while the other flights out there in line DO have arrival delays. Either that, or someone further up in line has a maintenance problem, and no one else has access to a taxiway to get to the runway around the offending flight. To give one plane (airline, cargo, corporate, private, or otherwise) preferential treatment goes against FAA Joint Order 7110.65, which is basically the ATC handbook. Priority is only given to planes in very specific circumstances. Even being a military flight does not necessarily mean the flight will get priority. There has to be a specific mission requiring it.