Sign in to follow this  
Gab5328

GPWS Voice

Hey guys, I'm just curious about this...how is that aircraft of different manufacturers share the same voice in the GPWS?

Is it provided by the FAA or something?

There are differences. Boeing's voice is a man with an American accent. Airbus's voice is a man with a British accent. McDonnell Douglas's voice is a man. McDonnell Douglas is different. Most of the aural alerts are female but when the GPWS comes on, it's a guys' voice. People act more quickly when they hear a man's voice. So when you hear "WHOOP! WHOOP! PULL UP!" you know to firewall the thrust levers and pull up. I don't think it's a provision in the FARs.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Just to clarify, I'm not saying it's the same voice for every plane, I say I heard the Boeing voice (the male one) in aircrafts which are not manufactured by them.

Bombardier Dash 8

Embraer E-190

...and I'm sure I could find a lot more.

I would say it's more about the manufacturer of the GPWS subsystem than the manufacturer of the aircraft. I would speculate then that the Bombardier and Embrear merely use the same GPWS manufacturer as Boeing. Or even better, Boeing manufactures their GPWS for them.

I would say it's more about the manufacturer of the GPWS subsystem.

This.

I thought every Aircraft brand produce their own systems but found that a company called Honeywell is a EGPWS manufacturer which claims to have delivered more than 30.000 units...that explain it all.

This.

I thought every Aircraft brand produce their own systems but found that a company called Honeywell is a EGPWS manufacturer which claims to have delivered more than 30.000 units...that explain it all.

Honeywell Aeronautics (based in Phoenix) actually does more than E/GPWS systems. They manufacture avionics, engines, systems, and repairs/overhauls.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

Honeywell, Rockwell Collins, Garmin and Thales are the big players in the civil aircraft avionics industry. Smiths (Now GE Aviation) used to be a big player as well but is now focusing on GE/CFM engine related systems and the military business.

Lots of aircraft parts are not built by the 'big manufacturers' (i.e. Airbus, Boeing, Bombardier), but by other companies. This goes for a large part of the avionics, but even for stuff like parts of the fuselage or wings.

The "Boeing" voice is pretty much what you're going to hear on all Honeywell systems. Airbus for some reason decided that they want their own voices though...

The "Boeing" voice is pretty much what you're going to hear on all Honeywell systems. Airbus for some reason decided that they want their own voices though...

Airbus has the same gpws voice as Boeing, only difference is the callouts and minimums.

Rob Prest

Honeywell makes the vast majority of these - Boeing by and large doesn't produce avionics themselves. The FMCs are the same way - all made by Honeywell, Thales (Airbus) etc...

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Airbus has the same gpws voice as Boeing, only difference is the callouts and minimums.

And their GPWS likes to yell RETARD

Yes it does :biggrin:

Rob Prest

50,40,30,20 retard retard retard 10...... Why won't PMDG make one? It's the future!