Sign in to follow this  
Gab5328

GPWS Voice

50,40,30,20 retard retard retard 10...... Why won't PMDG make one? It's the future!

Does it also tell Retard Retard right before you fly into a mountain or crash too?

Does it also tell Retard Retard right before you fly into a mountain or crash too?

I wouldn't be surprised if Airbus installs programming that automatically pulls the nose up if there's a mountain or the ground in front of the nose.

The question is do Airbus pilots know when to pull back the thrust levers? If I was an Airbus pilot (I'm not even a pilot), I'd be offended if a computer is telling me "RETARD RETARD"...

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg

One of the funniest posts I ever read anywhere was right here in this forum where a very confused soul demanded to know what was wrong with his PMDG plane which kept telling him not to think while on final approach. I think he mean EGPWS´ "Don´t Sink" aural alert.

The company in that video is not using the standard GPWS used by airbus operators. Im sure you already know it is possible to select many non standard features when purchasing aircraft.

Who knows what they had installed, it doesn't seem to be working correctly! ;)

Cheers for the video tho, not sure if mine will work since I'm posting from my phone.

Rob Prest

The company in that video is not using the standard GPWS used by airbus operators. Im sure you already know it is possible to select many non standard features when purchasing aircraft.

Airbus offers 2 options for terrain avoidance systems to their airline customers:

GPWS/EGPWS by Honeywell, and

TAWS+/T2CAS/T3CAS (aka TCAS 2000/TCAS 3000/GCAS etc.) by ACSS, a joint venture by Thales and L-3 Communications.

AFAIK most of the older EIS 1 Airbus has the Honeywell system while about half of the newer EIS-2 Airbus has the ACSS system, which is often bundled with the Thales TopFlight avionics suite. The ACSS T2CAS/T3CAS systems are integrated surveillance systems which includes both TCAS and GPWS functions. The 2 systems have different voices because Honeywell holds the copyright to the original GPWS voice. I'm not sure about the altitude callout voices as they seem to be a Radio Altimeter/ADIRU function which AFAIK are all made by Thales.

Sources:

http://www.flightglo...enefits-225519/

https://www1.online....e/mil/MIL02.pdf

Who knows what they had installed, it doesn't seem to be working correctly! ;)

The runway was brand new and not yet in the EGPWS/TAWS database, so the system was thinking that the pilots are about to land the aircraft on the grass or something.

Cheers great info, so.. the majority of A3xx are using the old syle GPWS callout's?

Rob Prest

And their GPWS likes to yell RETARD

It's not the GPWS that does altitude callouts and RETARD calls on an Airbus.

Cheers great info, so.. the majority of A3xx are using the old syle GPWS callout's?

Not for altitude calls.

ki9cAAb.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if Airbus installs programming that automatically pulls the nose up if there's a mountain or the ground in front of the nose.

The question is do Airbus pilots know when to pull back the thrust levers? If I was an Airbus pilot (I'm not even a pilot), I'd be offended if a computer is telling me "RETARD RETARD"...

It's a useful reminder. Thrust retards automatically, just as it would on a Boeing in autoland. However if they left the thrust levers in the CLB detent, when autothrust disengaged during rollout the engines would follow the lever command and run up to the Climb setting. Not something you'd want to happen.

ki9cAAb.jpg

Also on youtube is the voice behind some of the callouts

MD11 voice?

MD11 voice?

No. According to Markus (one of the PMDG designers/testers for the MD-11) that is the voice of the DC-10 callouts. Not the MD-11.

Kenny Lee
"Keep climbing"
pmdg_trijet.jpg