Sign in to follow this  
aerhead1

Not My Favorite

As a long time simmer, I was really excited by the prospect of a PMDG 777. So much so, that I bought the 737NGX as a primer to get an idea what it will be like, even though I've never been a fan of the 737. I have to say, I'm not very happy with it. Maybe I just got in over my head because I honestly don't need the level of operational detail that some on these forum members prefer. I like to start the plane, fly it, and watch it travel to its' destination. I don't like spending an hour on the ground trying to start the thing, which I have yet to do by the way. I guess i'm more into watching from the outside than being an actual pilot, and the 737 holds up in that regard as well. But if I can't fly it what's the point. Since I love the Triple 7, I would probably be more patient with it. At this point, I wish I had my $70 back.

I think you've answered your own question - although I'm sorry you didn't enjoy your experience with the NGX. I'd come from flying the default 737 which is probably too far the other way in terms of experience and really desired to fly something as close to real as possible. I have begun with just getting the thing flying on the AP between destinations in October 11, now I can do the full cold and dark very nearly from memory and hand fly it from 3000 down to the tarmac and I'm loving every minute.

It depends on what you want out of your simming experience. PMDG's products are aimed at pilots who want to practice things and those of us who, for one reason or another, have not taken up flying as a career and want to get very close! A friend of mine is a real life pilot and he, much like most of the other real life pilots on this forum would agree it is most certainly the most realistic modern airliner available for FSX.

As to a refund, the PrecisionManuals website is very clear about what this aircraft is about, hence why you get a PDF of the FCOM and QRH's with it - but I would have no doubt if you whack it on eBay someone will buy it off you :)

That is unfortunate that you feel that way.

However the next time you intend to part with so much of your hard earned cash, I suggest you do a little more research to find out what you're actually getting yourself into.

Having said that, have you tried the tutorials? Or have you tried loading the panel state to "Ready for takeoff"?

The thing is now you can't really get your money back, why not try learning it and get your money's worth out of it, beacuse the T7 ain't gonna be much easier to learn either.

I also suggest a likkle patience...as it took me a month almost before I goth the thing off the ground.

Hope it works out well for you

I felt really lost when i brought my very first addon from PMDG. But there products are so accurate and true to the real plane. Bare with it m8 once you get the hang of it you will never turn back i promise you ... Steve

I'm no expert by any means, but I think one of the beautiful things about the PMDG NGX is that you can make your experience as simple or realistic as you want. Some people seem to want to replicate every detail of an actual 737 flight. Personally, I don't have the time for that, but after reading through the manual and tutorial, I had no trouble getting up and going in under an hour. In some ways, I think it's almost easier than the default 737; it just requires a little more initial investment of time. Of course, sometimes I can't activate the AP, or have some other minor problem because I haven't taken the time to figure out what I am doing, but for the most part, it's not to difficult to takeoff, fly, and land. Then, having mastered the easy stuff, I find myself delving deeper into all of the capabilities of the NGX - that's the beauty of it - the more comfortable you become, the more you learn you can do - like one review said, it's like an onion where you continually discover new layers. Give it a shot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brian Johnson

i9-9900K (OC 5.0), ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero Z390, Nvidia 2080Ti, 32 GB Corsair Vengeance 3000MHz, OS on Samsung 860 EVO 1TB M.2, P3D on SanDisk Ultra 3D NAND 2TB SSD

Maybe your a long time flight simmer but from where I read this not long enough to know PMDGs overall ambitions or past achievements an reputation within MSFS too know this isn't a plane you just jump in and go or things don't matter other then watching and doing/knowing minimal task. Or long enough to take on more advance procedures and push yourself past the basics. This is just my opinion but if you like aviation you should like or be interested in the cockpit side and not just the pretty plane itself. To me you (people) don't really like something if they are not willing to at least self-educated or push themselves. What made me like aviation as a kid was looking in the cockpit and seeing all the buttons an switches. After that I just had to know what they all did. Maybe if you prefer B777 the best you might as you said be more exited or motivated to learn more. But IMO again 70 dollars for this level of simulation (not play or game) is far from a waste of money.

I hope you push yourself a bit a take on the B737 a bit more and really try to see what flying is like as a pilot and not as a passenger. Like someone said above it can be as easy or realistically hard as you want (or FSX will allow) but you still have to take on a bit more then maybe your use too.

@Richiebacardi, I actually spent about a week reading these forums and various reviews before making the purchase. And I'm not really expecting a refund, but stating that I wish I hadn't bought it to begin with. Having said that, I will probably stick with it because I really would like to know how to work the plane before the 777 comes out. I still think I would buy that plane, but I should have waited til it came out to make my decision. Maybe you guys are right, and I will grow to love it. We'll see.

Aerhead1 . when you have grown to love her treat yourself to the FS2CREW you will be even more obssesed with her then trust me...

Yeah and to be honest it does do alot of the work aswell as the voice crew is just amazing.. But understanding the aircraft aswell is important of course... but yep FS2CREW put it in your cart m8...

In regards to learning the basics and getting to grips with the aircraft not only reading the manual which some people do find a pain but watching some user tutorials on youtube is helpfull aswell...

We all started like this. About a year ago, I didn't know what SIDSTARS were. I flew the default 737, I only knew about basic AP operations and could do an ILS approach.

Look at me now, I'm a professional PMDG 737NGX simmer. You have to learn!!! Fly the tutorial, after a while you know the procedures like the back of your hand. For example I can now get my plane ready for taxi after 10 minutes after cold and dark, and that's including programming the route. After you know how to operate it, it's so awesome to fly. Don't give up so easily!

I actually spent about a week reading these forums and various reviews before making the purchase. And I'm not really expecting a refund, but stating that I wish I hadn't bought it to begin with.

If you already read up on what kind of simulation the NGX actually was, and knew it was a full in-depth simulation....why did you even bother to buy it? Especially at a steep price in comparison to the average FSX addon price?

This isn't a plane you can just push CTRL-E to start the engines and off you go. It sounds like you did research and already discovered this but bought the plane anyway.

Why?

Any why come to the forums and complain about your purchase if you had already done homework?

Sorry, I guess I just don't get if you're just looking for sympathy or tips on how to properly fly the NGX.

If it's tips, then I would highly recommend first going through the introduction pdf, then the two tutorials that Ryan created.