Sign in to follow this  
Guest Mik75

Help on decision which GA plane to buy

Guest Mik75

Hi!

Since I got really stuck on ORBX's PNW lately, my hangar needs another GA aircraft. To become more specific, I am looking for a fast single piston engine plane.

I'll buy one of the two following tonight and would like to know your opinion since both of them seem to have their pros and cons:

1. Carenado F33 WITH Reality XP Flightline T gauges to be installed before the first flight

2. Baytower RV7

I am absolutely not into aerobatics, I just want to have a nice cruise speed and top notch steam gauges.

Reality XP GNS integration shouldn't be a problem either.

Thanks in advance and greets,

Michael

I have the Carenado F33 with the Reality XP gauges and the GNS530, and it's an absolutely fantastic GA plane, highly recommended. It flies well, and is pretty quick for a single engine. As well as VFR flight, it's also fantastic for practicing IFR, especially if you have the RealityXP GNS as you can do WAAS approaches, which are abundant in the PNW region.

Tony Wob

Bought V35 other day for VFR its got decent speed on it. Carcendo planes like them all. c152 bought last year still fly it around in 3d i

glass. Skycatcher c162 is my perferred one by flight1 one feels like can drink coffee and fly around. Bonzana eyeball F33 for fsx next purchase.

Bought V35 other day for VFR its got decent speed on it. Carcendo planes like them all. c152 bought last year still fly it around in 3d i

glass. Skycatcher c162 is my perferred one by flight1 one feels like can drink coffee and fly around. Bonzana eyeball F33 for fsx next purchase.

Yep, the flight1 planes are really good and fly really smoothly, but are quite heavy on my system. I really like the Mustang, it's so easy to fly and a great step up to the larger planes

The answer to the question in your thread title is always "RealAir Turbine Duke"...

...However, you have specified single engine so I guess we will have to deviate!

The RV7 is a great plane and I can recommend it. The only thing I dislike about it is the transparency of the glass in the canopy, which I believe is being adjusted in the next release so...

As an alternate, I was always fond of the Carenado T210 - pretty fast, nice to fly, nice to look at and high-wing is always good for looking at your ORBX scenery.

The Grand Caravan from Carenado is an awesome aircraft, a turbine single prop aircraft that you can drop out of the sky and land on a sixpence (or cent!) What is particularly good, is the high wing and EXTREMELY excellent panoramic view from the cockpit, perfect for GA flying around Orbx scenery. My other choice would be the Baytower RV-7, simply 'cos it's fun, agile and very fast. However, because it's a slung wing, I fly the sliding cockpit version which opens up the view for improved visibility. I agree with Iain above, if it had been any other aircraft, I would have wholeheartedly recommended the Realir turbine Duke as a superb Twin.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

The Grand Caravan from Carenado is an awesome aircraft, a turbine single prop aircraft that you can drop out of the sky and land on a sixpence (or cent!) What is particularly good, is the high wing and EXTREMELY excellent panoramic view from the cockpit, perfect for GA flying around Orbx scenery.

Good advice, how could I forget this one?! Indeed it was the mainstay of my first successful Air Hauler career based at Darrington...

Great plane.

Guest Mik75

Thank you very much for the fast replies!

I should point out, that the decision is only between the F33 and the RV-7!

I own the Turbine Duke and I really love her. I also got the C90 and the Malibu as well as the excellent Mustang, 182T and the C177 Cardinal.

But for now, I seek a single piston engine plane with a fast cruise performance and very good steam

gauges. Therefore, and because I own the Flightline T gauges, I an thinking about the F33. I think she will be top notch due to the fact it has FD made by Mr. Stolle.

The RC-7 seems to be very nice too though... hard decision...

Hey Michael, why not check out some of the posts and opinions regarding the RV-7 elsewhere on the forum.

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke

Guest Mik75

I already did! ;-) And one can barely find negative points...

How does she like shorter strips like Bear Gulch etc.?

I found the RV-7 seems to like steep approaches, it slows down much easier than I expected so I doubt you'll have much trouble with short strips. Short field performance is one of Vans major selling points with the real aircraft. As for the glass, I filled the alpha channel of canopy_reflct.dds with black and my canopy is now completely transparent so I can see my Orbx. Lots of cool little things with the RV7, if you land too hard you'll set off the ELT and if you have your radio tuned to 121.5 you'll hear the ELT signal; if you fly inverted she'll blow some oil out the breather and smear up the belly; the cowling comes off and the engine is modelled in detail, etc. If you check out the reviews here (specifically the forum thread for review feedback) you'll find a digital coupon for $5 off the purchase price, but hurry, I think today's the last day!

I don't have the F33 but I have several other Carenado planes, love them all. I don't think you can make a bad choice given the two candidates you've presented.

Jim

The Bellanca Viking Turbo is my favorite GA. In the sim and IRL. Low wing but very maneuverable.

The Quest Kodiak is nice too. Would love to hop in one of those.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

I already did! ;-) And one can barely find negative points...

How does she like shorter strips like Bear Gulch etc.?

I haven't flown from Bear Gulch with the Rv, but I'm pretty sure she'd be out of there with no problem :Peace: FYI I've just had a quick flight out of Bear gulch and she's in the air half way along the strip :clapping:

Howard

RV-7!

Great speed range, good distance range, perfect for those small PNW strips, fabulous sounds, agile handling yet hands-off stable, fantastic detailing, great visibility for VFR, hidden surprises (as mentioned), loads of variants, loads of great paints available, exceptional rain effects - it's totally immersive!

Yes, Carenado make truly great a/c, but they are run of the mill "spam-cans". The RV-7 has the edge: You won't regret it!

Mr Fabio Lagattolla

"It's better to be on the ground wishing you were flying, than flying but wishing you were on the ground!"

Guest Mik75

Sounds very promising! 'l

Thank you very much for the test flight at Bear Gulch! ;-)

The RV-7 is a very special aircraft...

How are the sounds of that beauty?