Sign in to follow this  
Kerberos42

Gentlemen, start your engines...

I've spent the last couple of days working on bettering my Challenge scores trying to get gold on as many as possible. Tonight I spent a good amount of time on Maule Landing Challenge 3, and after a couple of hours, the best I could do was bronze. Until of course I discovered that my engine wasn't on... Ooops. It seems that for whatever reason when I load that challenge, the engine is off. Now at first I thought it was SUPPOSED to be off, that was the challenge, dead stick in with gusting crosswinds. I even saw that message about your engine not running, press b to start and just thought it was there, same as when you run out of fuel, but I never actually pressed b. Not sure why I did just now, but once I did I was able to get just a few points short of gold. I'll revisit it again and go for gold, I'm tired of staring at mac nut trees!

So, always make sure to try starting your engine!

Yeah not sure why that happened that way, all the landing challenges the engine should be running when they load - I remember seeing one other post like this a few weeks ago stating the same thing, not sure if it was the same landing challenge though.

Just check your mixture control. When you restart your challenge Flight! sometimes cuts it off. Advance your mixture control and your engine will restart as your mags are On in most cases.

I've noticed today that when I operate my keyboard volume key to increse volume on the speakers, it acts as Engine Start/Engine Shutdown ???? Strange!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Well, I think that the topic starter just thinks that femailes start their engines without remindings:)

I actually had to decrease my mixture to get the Maule to restart the engine in landing challenge 6 after a reload. That one surprised me!

I use a Saitek throttle quadrant and find that most missions start with the mixture and throttle start in positions that do not match the position of my physical controls. However, the moment I move the controls, they will snap into place to match the physical controller.

I imagine this may be affecting everyone in a similar way.

This happens in FSX as well.

I use a Saitek throttle quadrant and find that most missions start with the mixture and throttle start in positions that do not match the position of my physical controls. However, the moment I move the controls, they will snap into place to match the physical controller.

I imagine this may be affecting everyone in a similar way.

This happens in FSX as well.

Yeah, if I load a save or enter a job/mission where the default control positions don't match my physical throttle/prop/mixture controls, they all jump to the proper settings as soon as I move anything.

just Gentlemen, howabout us females :sad:

I'm very sorry mi'lady... Gentlepeople, start your engines!

Nice to see some humour in the forums!!

Cheers.

Glad you brought up Maule challenge 3, Kerberos42. I spend ALL of last night trying to "gold" this challenge for my "landing master" achievement in GFWL. I attempted every configuration and set up I could think of but the best I could do was 1434. After 70 attempts in one evening, I finally "cheated" and turned on stability assist in gameplay flight control options and nailed a perfect score on my third subsequent attempt. I don't agree with the way the crosswind buffets the plane. I don't agree on the game's scoring. I had "greased" many landings and received less than stellar scores. My 1434 silver was awarded me on what I considered a sloppy touchdown. All the other landing challenges for the other 4 planes seem fair enough but not Maule 3. This is the one and only time I've turned on any of the gameplay flight control assists. I wish I could determine wind conditions some other way than HUD as I like to fly in weather and the wind socks and smokestacks aren't accurate.

I agree with Tory and others that the mixture control occasionally spawns leaned to cut off point, but only sometimes. I always jiggle my throttle and hit shift-F4 and ctrl-F4 to reset those controls after a spawn of any sort.

This addictive silly game is starting to interfere with RL but gosh, is it engrossing.

In many of my Stearman challenges I experienced the same problem - silent motor on load, just to realize that no fuel was loaded. That's really a challenge :]

I've "golded" all the other landing challenges, but it's going to take a while to get there with the Maule. I need a lot more practice with it before I attempt to max those challenges.

Funny thing -- I got gold on one of the Stearman challenges even though I overran the end of the runway and bonked into a tree! :blink:

I wish I could determine wind conditions some other way than HUD as I like to fly in weather and the wind socks and smokestacks aren't accurate.

I've found the wind socks to be quite accurate... when I can actually see them.

We really need working ATIS channels, even if they're just a text scroll when tuned.