Sign in to follow this  
Air1

Securing the Joy Stick

After many years with the dang joy stick sliding around my desk or holding it precariously in my lap I decided to do something about it. A piece of 2X4 and some scrap laminate flooring top and bottom, good old drywall screws and zip ties and I think I got it. I have been useing it for weeks and it does the job for me. Thing is, I can just move it out of the way when I don't need it. I know when I get foot pedals this will not work so well. But right now my corrdinated turns are much smoother. I want to stay with a flight stick and don't really want to clamp anything to the desk so options are limited. What type of devices are other people using for staybility.

Did it again, forgot to attach the file!

Well in my case, my joystick and my throttle are the TM Cougar, and they are metal and quite heavy - so they really do not move around which is nice.

As far as my rudder pedals, they sit on a hardwood floor so that was a bit trickier - but I have a nice size subwoofer for my Klipsch audio system, and it sits nicely down toward the back under the middle of my desk, giving my rudder pedals a nice thing to rest up against, so they won't move that way either.

My G940 stick and throttle sit on my keyboard pull-out drawer (It's low, barely clearing my knees, and the keyboard moves to the desk surface when flying). They're heavy enough that they don't move around on me, but are equipped with bolt-holes so that I could mount them to something like your "control pedestal" if I wanted.

I've been thinking about ways to mount a couple of little platforms like yours to the sides of my desk chair. :P

For a joystick that probably haed an odd base shape to work, I would suggest takinge piece of thin paper, placing it on the bottom of the joystick and tracing the pattern of the holes. Now you have a template that you can readily copy over onto any surface.

Alternatively, disassemble the stick, remove the base, place it on the mounting board and trace the screw holes onto the board.

Last method is to use a compass to measure the distances and then transfer them to the board.

Good luck!

my sidewinder precision pro 3d doesn't slide around because it has a very wide base. I have had the problem with many other sticks, but I guess that's why I've stuck with this one for a very long time.

if measuring anything, make sure the edges are square and always use the same edges.