Sign in to follow this  
GAJ52

FMS Won't Accept a Flight Level ?

I have just tried a short flight from Jersey (EGJJ) to London Gatwick (EGKK), because its an eastbound route and requires an odd flight level, I entered FL170 in the FMS CDU, but it kept saying 'Flight level changed to 18000 ft ??

I tried this several times including while airbourne, but it refused to accept FL170.

Whats that all about ?

BTW I have been flying the NGX since it came out, together with FS2Crew, so I don't concider myself a newbie - just a bit confused :Thinking:

Glen

In the UK its a Flight Level :wink:

Glen

Ahh, sorry, excuse my lack of international knowledge :Worried:

I have just tried a short flight from Jersey (EGJJ) to London Gatwick (EGKK), because its an eastbound route and requires an odd flight level, I entered FL170 in the FMS CDU, but it kept saying 'Flight level changed to 18000 ft ??

Using a SID or STAR by chance? If so, which ones?

What does it suggest for a cruise altitude?

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

ORTAC1B from runway 09

Can't find a recommended Flight Level, but can't see why the FMS won't allow FL170. FL180 is a non standard altitude in this area as it should be ODD numbers up to FL290 eastbound.

Glen

There's probably a restriction in one of the procedures that's at or above FL180 - it'll change it if there is. (real thing does this too)

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

There's probably a restriction in one of the procedures that's at or above FL180 - it'll change it if there is. (real thing does this too)

Exactly as I was thinking- and then I looked at the STARs into EGKK and the three I listed all have a restriction of FL180 on them.

Thanks!
Nick Crate
Chief Executive Officer
FedEx Virtual Air Cargo

Nick, Ryan

Your theories were spot on.

I was using the Willo4C (Nick even got that right :good: ) didn't see the 18000 restriction at KATHY, thats why it wouldn't let me fly at 17000.

Pretty clever this FMS, unlike me :blush:

Many thanks, Glen

Glen

Nick, Ryan

Your theories were spot on.

I was using the Willo4C (Nick even got that right :good: ) didn't see the 18000 restriction at KATHY, thats why it wouldn't let me fly at 17000.

Pretty clever this FMS, unlike me :blush:

Many thanks, Glen

Hmmmm, interesting. My first guess would have been that you had left the transition altitude in the FMS at it's default value of 18000 and therefore the FMS wouldn't accept a flight level below that.

Bruno

i think ngx is capable of cruising below TA so that should not be a problem.

Did you tried FL190 its not too high just about 2k feet higher, because of that FL180 restriction. Or simply delete restriction (its not realistic but ATC sometimes can allow you to do that.)

nick and ryan are right just tried it myself no matter what alt you put in it changes it for you if you use the willo star approach

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Hmmmm, interesting. My first guess would have been that you had left the transition altitude in the FMS at it's default value of 18000 and therefore the FMS wouldn't accept a flight level below that.

Bruno

I think in that case the FMS would give an error if you tried to enter 170 for the the cruise altitude, however it should accept 17000.

I think in that case the FMS would give an error if you tried to enter 170 for the the cruise altitude, however it should accept 17000.

no it doesnt if you enter 17000 it changes to flight level 18000 if you choose star willo you can try it for yourself

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg