Sign in to follow this  
Paavo

FSX support for Prepar3D

Hi all,

I have earlier today released FSX support for Prepar3D - a compability tool to help you migrate to Prepar3D.

As you may know, Flight Simulator X and Prepar3D are very similar, but few installers support Prepar3D and a lot of manual tweaking may be needed to port FSX products over to Prepar3D. Taking advantage of similarity, my tool creates a virtual FSX installation pointing to Prepar3D. Everything you install there will actually be installed into Prepar3D, while fooling installers into thinking that they are dealing with FSX.

Given the fact that me and my testers got even airplanes as old and complex as Digital Aviation's Fokker 70 / 100 (development started in 2005, released in 2008; has very detailed autopilot) perfectly working in Prepar3D with just clicking "Next, Next, Next", I believe that the tool is a major breakthrough in user friendliness.

As long as the installer follows general good programming practice guidelines set by Microsoft, there's really no reason why FSX installers wouldn't work with virtual FSX folder and Prepar3D.

Here's a screenshot from one of the testers, showing Wilco's E-190 at FlightBeam's KSFO:

Wilco-E-190-KSFO.jpg

The tester simply installed FSX support for Prepar3D, created a virtual FSX and ran the installers for E-190 and KSFO scenery.

For more details, visit http://www.flightsim.ee/products/fsx-support-for-prepar3d

I especially encourage you to read through the short manual, which explains all the limitations that apply.

The sky up above is so much bluer.

Thank you for this I'll give it a shot.

Have you tried it with UTX?

Edit: having read further I see it won't work if you have FSX installed.

Be interested to hear reviews though.

Keep in mind that some developers do not approve of FSX to P3D installations without proper licensing to accomplish that.

Although a clever concept, it may not be acceptable depending on the product or the developer. In other words, it could be considered a "hack" tool in certain instances.

I cannot speak for Lockheed Martin, but I know they are sensitive to 3rd party licensing as noted above and I personally could not see them endorsing this if violations occur as a result.

While it may not be acceptable by the commercial developers it shows the power of the market to deliver disruptive technology (presuming it actually works). Such will thus force developers either to code more DRM into their apps, though they can not do this retrospectively to those already purchased or, more likely, give up their petty nonsense by fully developing and back-developing their applications for Prepar3D.

I welcome this as a force pushing the overall (FSX) market forward to consolidate around Prepar3D.

Explain to me why anyone would be willing to pay for a new simulator based off off an existing simulator, yet expect to pay nothing to migrate an existing add-on to the simulator they were williing to pay for?

And why would anyone be willing to pay for a product that allows them to not pay for a product ?

I will rephrase not acceptable. If someone installs an FSX product licensed for FSX into P3D and not licensed for P3D, it is piracy. Clear enough?

jrhoads if you are refering to me in your post then you are wrong as none of which you list is what I actually said. I resent the slur you imply on my name.

What I said is that this is disruptive technology as you go on to explain why. I also made a forecast about its impact. The petty nonsense I refer to is those who do not move to Prepar3D because of their interpretation of Prepar3Ds licence terms.

While it is your right to infer and interpret as you wish you should not slander people. I expect better on these forums.

And if you just want to have a go to get something of your chest and I am amused you didn't take at aim at the lads from Estonia.....

Nobody slandered anyone. Not in the slightest sense. if you thought so, the post was revised to make it seem less personal and more generic.

But my point remains and I stand by it.

Deep breath gents. Angry debates over EULA intentions and meanings are a waste of breath altogether. You read the EULA, you decide. Then take whatever decision you see as acceptable to you.

However a serious question.

Rather than uninstall FSX can I just remove the FSX application file from with the FSX root folder??

Or must I eliminate the Registry entry by uninstallation? If so I would recommend to people to leave their root folder in place after the uninstall and use it as a storage resource for large sceneries, add-on scenery and the like.

Could someone who knows respond to my enquiry, not to my sermon in the first line.

Prepar3D will soon be the best simulator everyone will be afraid to talk openly about for fear of the addon police giving them a stearnly written post on a forum.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

For me no fear at all. There are now many P3 installers built into add-ons and you can get enough aircraft to fly in astonishingly great scenery like Orbx without making any EULA owner come up fighting.

And if you want a sophisticated aircraft like a 737 NGX then iFly have one for their extremely good rendition. (Down PMDG attack dogs, remember that PMDG don't seem to have made their minds up on P3 yet). Also Flight1 still appears outside the P3 tent.

Now all we need is Aerosoft or one of the upcoming Airbus builders to RTM with a P3 installer.

But the best market driver is utilisation. And I can't see FSX use surviving much longer given the improvements in P3 already. And if v2 is as good as we hope that will be the final step.

I bought and tried the 'migrator'.

I took the massive step of deleting my FSX installation. First time in the lifespan of the sim that I contemplated such a move.

Now I have this error message:

LOG START ====================================================

Checking if FSX is installed

An installation of FSX was not found

P3D root successfully read F:\Prepar3D\

Checking if virtual folder exists

WARNING: Failed to read FSX root, reason: Cannot create a file when that file already exists.

Virtual folder doesn't exist

USER ACTION: CREATE BUTTON PRESSED

Creating virtual folder

Checking if FSX is installed

An installation of FSX was not found

P3D root successfully read F:\Prepar3D\

ERROR: Prepar3D not on the same disk with Program Files

My P3D folder is on a standalone drive.

After the first error message (not shown above) I installed the program onto the same HDD as P3D, same message, so I created a dummy Program Folder - still no good.

Urgent assistance from Paavo would be greatly appreciated.

I can understand publishers' concerns, but surely the best long-term solution would be for them to update the installers so the product could be used in both sims?

If the general trend is a slow but steady migration to P3D, then it is in their interests to accompany their customers through this transition.

A simmer who's looking for an addon may be swayed if he sees it works in FSX and P3D, and that the installer will accomodate both.

Remember guys it's the customers who buy these products - saying to them "We don't want you to use this addon in P3D" is more likely to alienate them and make them more likely look aound for an alternative.

I can understand publishers' concerns, but surely the best long-term solution would be for them to update the installers so the product could be used in both sims?

If the general trend is a slow but steady migration to P3D, then it is in their interests to accompany their customers through this transition.

A simmer who's looking for an addon may be swayed if he sees it works in FSX and P3D, and that the installer will accomodate both.

Remember guys it's the customers who buy these products - saying to them "We don't want you to use this addon in P3D" is more likely to alienate them and make them more likely look aound for an alternative.

+1

Patric

I have deleted fsx from my computer and installed Prepar3D. FSX support for Prepar3D is not working. It keeps saying I have FSX installed. There is nothing left on my computer that has to do with FSX including the registry.

Save your money.