Sign in to follow this  
NikkiA

Landing Practice / Lord of the Landing

Because I've been having problems managing my airspeed during descent/approach/landing, I figured I needed to spend more time practising my landings... Having to deal with procedures, takeoff and some cruise/loop to be able to practice a landing is a bit of a chore in a heavy jet, so I tried 'Instant Approach', which does the job fine, but at $15 is a bit pricey for something with limited use (IMO as someone on fixed income that is).

So I figured I'd simply fly a single flight and save at an approach point where I could reload the 'in air' setup, but that would mean I'd need some landing analysis to determine how bad I'm doing, and FSX's native analysis is... lacking.

While searching for a landing analysis tool, I came across 'Lord of the Landing', which is pretty much a freeware equivalent of 'Instant Approach', with a few of the less useful features missing, and a better analysis of your landing. About the only thing that could improve it, would be if you could alter the preset airspeed it sets you up at, 100 knots is a bit slow for the bigger heavies, although as long as you are careful it's easy to get back above stall speed within a second or so of unpausing the approach.

Now, I haven't seen anyone mention it on here before, so I figured maybe noone else has noticed this great tool. It really does a great job of allowing you to setup a landing approach at specific airports and then analyses your subsequent landing. So Dongjin Shin really deserves a lot more recognition, and some praise.

Thanks Dongjin!

Hi there

Agree about the program-kudos to dongjin shin.He has 2 other useful programs.

However I also have FS instant approach and love it! Allows airspeed to be set as well as superb filters for the kind of runway you wish to practice landing at.

Did u know that u could use both together?that allows u to get the analysis from LOLA.

They're both great in their own ways and I think it's probably not possible to compare them directly.

Cheers

Jay

Cool. 'Instant Approach' seems to be exactly what I need. Anyone know if it works with the PMDG 737?

15 bucks is a REALLY cheap price to pay if it can teach me to land that behemoth without all that annoying screaming in the back...not to mention frequent and costly landing gear repairs (I'm using FSPassenger). :Straight Face:

Cool. 'Instant Approach' seems to be exactly what I need. Anyone know if it works with the PMDG 737?

15 bucks is a REALLY cheap price to pay if it can teach me to land that behemoth without all that annoying screaming in the back...not to mention frequent and costly landing gear repairs (I'm using FSPassenger). :Straight Face:

Both programs use whichever aircraft you have selected in FSX, with a realistic system aircraft then you'll need to make sure that you're in a flight-worthy state before activating the program's 'start approach'.

On another note, but vaguely related, the 100 knots seemed to be because I started from my default flight, which is the c172, and then switched aircraft to the a319. Starting in the A319 the speed selected by LOLA was 180 knots, a reasonable starting speed for approach.

This does mean, however, that some aircraft will have difficulties if you need to start from a built-in aircraft and switch aircraft, as is necessary for a few payware that don't like being loaded from the free flight menu.