Sign in to follow this  
mwilk

Graphic settings

In FSX,it is recommended that the AA is turned off in the game and is set using the video card software. In my case it's Nvidia Inspector. What is the recommendation when it comes to XP10 ?

NAX669.png

Hi,

I was inquiring that too days ago but with no luck, I guess the reason is because X-Plane 10 is OpenGL and I don't know how to control AA settings for OpenGL externally, if anyone knows about this please help us.

Thanks.

Alexander Colka

Hi Mike and Alex

I set the AA in nVidia control panel to Application controlled, and set it in X-Plane.

The latest beta drivers(301.24) have a setting for FXAA on the control panel, which I set to on and still have normal AA set to App' controlled. This enhances AA even more. Although I still don't use HDR, just doesn't look good on my set-up, too much shimmering/flickering.

Hope this helps, and if anyone has any differing advice it would be good to hear it(especially HDR set-up)

Regards

Simon

Ok Simon, thanks for your reply, I'll wait for the final driver release to test that out. What I want to do is to set no AA settings at all in X-Plane 10 with HDR on and set it externally via NV Control panel (when I decide to upgrade to the final 301.24 drivers) to a setting 4x to see if there is any performance boost vs the internal X-Plane 10 AA settings (quad render) with the HDR on. I was testing some differences between X-Plane 9 and X-Plane 10 last night and definitely v10 must have HDR on with AA quad render, without HDR XP10 is for me graphically dull, even XP9 for me emulates some kind of HDR with nice results.

Alexander Colka

I've read in the developer blog that X-Plane automatically hands off anti-aliasing and HDR processing to the video card. I was searching around with the same question as the OP, and that's what I found. I tried it both ways and didn't see any difference, which pretty much confirms it for me. I'm running an ATI card, which has it's own known problems with XP, so I don't know if that has any additional bearing on the sim vs. video software conundrum.

As is always the case with the diversity of hardware out there, your mileage may vary.

"No matter how eloquent you are or how solidly and firm you've built your case, you will never win in an argument with an idiot, for he is too stupid to recognize his own defeat." ~Anonymous.

Hi,

I was playing with the new Nvidia 301.42 drivers and I'm impressed with the flexibility of this version and finally I was able to test what I posted above. To compare XP10 with HDR on with no AA at all and setting externally in the NV panel the new FSAA setting on and the results are waaaaay better than using XP10 own AA fast render (quad render affects my FPS yet), the glass cockpit digits are more crisp and clear and less shimmer in scenery although FPS performance seems equal to me I'm very pleased with the results. Finally OpenGL can be tweaked externally.

Alexander Colka

I am using an old ATI 5870 and for me, I get best results when I inside ATI-"control panel" tell the sim to do the AA. Just the other day I was swearing over my bad performance in x-plane up until I remembered that I the day before took the NGX for a spin and had changed the settings. Changed them back and presto, now xpx was smooth agan.

Good for the old wallet as I almost ordered a new SB-based rig.. ;-)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Richard

7950x3d   |   32Gb 6000mHz RAM   |   8Tb NVme   |   RTX 4090    |    MSFS    |    P3D    |      XP12  

Another thing that I'm seeing is that the Nvidia Inspector lock FPS feature is also now working with XP10; I've locked it at 30 fps and the sim seems to be more smoother in terms of micro stutters perhaps more resources are available now for decoding the scenery, I read somewhere else that v10.1 will have a better scenery decoder and therefore the sim loading time will be cut by half.

Alexander Colka

I recently went to AMDs site and updated my drivers for my HD5770 to the latest variety. I immediately noticed a drop in framerates. I went back and deleted all AMD drivers and reverted to the ones that came out in December 2011 (v 11.12) and the framerates went back up - almost doubling. Just thought I would throw it out there...

John Wingold