Sign in to follow this  
HoratioWondersocks

FSUIPC Necessary question.

Hello.

I have FS9 and use ASKY 6.5 and FSNav

Is FSUIPC (freeware version in my case) essential for the correct functioning of these apps? Do i need to use FSUIPC at all?

cheers Andy

photo-141290.gif?_r=1341161573?t=54318216?t=43542077

For AS and FS nav, I don't think so (some one more knowledgable will give you a 100% correct answer) , but you will need FSUIPC

for some add-on aircraft which definitely require it.

Trevor

For AS and FS nav, I don't think so (some one more knowledgable will give you a 100% correct answer) , but you will need FSUIPC

for some add-on aircraft which definitely require it.

Trevor

Thanks Trevor

I suspected that.

I have used FSUIPC for almost ten years and have never considered it as a possible cause of FS crashes,

In fact have often felt a bit sorry for Pete D as I have seen it blamed many times as a cause of FS troubles, CTDs Lately I have had a problem with random (very random and therefore even more frustrating than normal) FS freeze up ,with full re-start as the only option.I have tried all usual options for fixing this issue ,but with no luck so far ,so with this in mind I tried Pete's site (as the only new thing I have installed recently is the latest FSUIPC ) and I noticed an update to the latest version and in the notes that come with it was an issue fixed that MAY? cause FS to stop running. I am not blaming FSUIPC just trying to eliminate various POSSIBLE causes of my problem.

Anyways that was one reason for my original question.

cheers

Andy

Hope the update fixes your problem. Otherwise, revert back to an earlier module that you know was working.

Trevor

Hope the update fixes your problem. Otherwise, revert back to an earlier module that you know was working.

Trevor

As I said I am not sure if it is FSUIPC causing the problem ,could be a multitude of things (as FS users know only to well) ,but FSUIPC was the last thing I installed so I am working on that at the moment.

cheers

Andy

Andy, I don't know about FSnav, but you definitely need FSUIPC for Active Sky. It's AS's 'gateway' to the sim.

Regards,

René

Edit: Try to roll back to a previous version of FSUIPC. Another possibility: Let FS9 build a new config file.

AS 65 definitely uses FSUIPC3 to write weather to FS9 and also uses its weather smoothing and other features. If FS Nav has a moving map it probably uses it to get ai and your aircraft position.

PMDG FS9 737s use it for the wind component breakdown for display and course correction.

Some freeware TCAS displays use it for AI depiction. If you use ai separation or ai smooth it is necessary.

The product in my banner uses it to read weather from FS9 and ai positions and status and control ai in certain situations.

It is rare it causes a crash. I read the update remarks for 3.999i here:

http://forum.simflight.com/topic/66139-updated-modules/

I'd go ahead with the update. The Lua reference is for cockpit builders. The profile correction might be for optional control axis enhancement where they are assigned optionally to each aircraft. These are new types of problems. You can revert to 3.999 if you wish.

I have only seen two serious problems since it came out many years ago that were rapidly resolved. One was an incorrect crosswind breakdown and the other was a freeze on exiting FS. Anyway, that's why there are full release and interim versions.

Many times FSUIPC is blamed for introducing a problem when it turns out enabling an application that has a problem is the cause.

My copy is registered (paid) and its extra features such as hot key controls to additional FS functionality is most important.

FSUIPC provides an interface to FS that was not documented by MS in a timely fashion or complete. It provides freeware (ast no cost) and commercial developers with a standard interface to control and read factors in the FS world.

As I said I am not sure if it is FSUIPC causing the problem ,could be a multitude of things (as FS users know only to well) ,but FSUIPC was the last thing I installed so I am working on that at the moment.

cheers

Andy

Rename or remove your FSUIPC.ini file and let it build a new one - ini corruption can cause issues.

DJ

Hello All

This is how things are going at present.

Last night I set up a longish flight EHAM-HECA to test how things were going.At the time of flight I had the latest FSUIPC installed .After takeoff the flight lasted approx five minutes before the freeze (No FS9 error message because of freeze and nothing in event viewer either) SO! next idea , I dug out my previous version of FSUIPC (or at least the only older copy I had) this is version 3.9.9.1 I also as a precaution removed one ADD-ON airport (these two items are the only new things I have added recently). I restarted PC and re-loaded my flight (courtesy of another PD utility Autosave) bloomin tedious doing all that ,however flight proceeded for three hours till landing (actually did quite a good non ILS manual landing ) with no problems this time.

This morning I decided on another trial ,so rather than sit in front of my PC for hours I reloaded the same flight EHAM-HECA and left the sim running at cruise alt on auto P ,I then did various chores ,shopping etc etc returned home to hear sim still running (that test was approx one and a half hours ,and again no freeze ,so that's is where I an at now.

I still am not blaming FSUIPC for my problem its just that is all I have added recently .

I am also not getting my hopes up that my freeze woes have gone just yet as this glitch has been so random. (one of the worst type as you tend to be on tenterhooks during the course of a flight waiting for it to occur.)

Anyway thanks guys for your thoughts and help with this problem.......

Andy

Rename or remove your FSUIPC.ini file and let it build a new one - ini corruption can cause issues.

DJ

DJ

Excuse ignorance ,but which of the various FSUIPC 'bits' in the modules folder is the 'ini file' right clicking and checking properties does not reveal it for me.

Andy

PPS I have noticed that within the ASKY 6.5 folder there is also another copy of FSUIPC .Does this matter?

should the one in ASKY be the same version as the one in the modules folder? (They are now buy the way ) but the question is still does that matter?

cheers again

Andy

DJ

Excuse ignorance ,but which of the various FSUIPC 'bits' in the modules folder is the 'ini file' right clicking and checking properties does not reveal it for me.

Andy

You need to set your folder options to show file extensions and show details to see it - it's the file named "fsuipc.ini" . In Win7 go to the control panel -> folder options and uncheck "hide extensions for known file types".

The fsuipc in AS is not active - just ignore it. However, the current FSUIPC version is 3.999i and that's the one you want. When you find the .ini file, rename or delete it and if your FSUIPC version is not 3.999 then download the full installer from Pete's site and install it.

DJ

which of the various FSUIPC 'bits' in the modules folder is the 'ini file'

Andy, there is only one fsuipc.ini in the Modules folder. See:

fsuipcini.jpg

If you cannot see the extensions, in your Explorer open the Folder Options, go to View and uncheck 'Hide extentions for known type files'.

Andy, there is only one fsuipc.ini in the Modules folder. See:

fsuipcini.jpg

If you cannot see the extensions, in your Explorer open the Folder Options, go to View and uncheck 'Hide extentions for known type files'.

Thanks Rafal

I use XP but there was the same option ,so have done that and can now see what is what.

Andy

You need to set your folder options to show file extensions and show details to see it - it's the file named "fsuipc.ini" . In Win7 go to the control panel -> folder options and uncheck "hide extensions for known file types".

The fsuipc in AS is not active - just ignore it. However, the current FSUIPC version is 3.999i and that's the one you want. When you find the .ini file, rename or delete it and if your FSUIPC version is not 3.999 then download the full installer from Pete's site and install it.

DJ

DJ

Thanks

I have tried both 3.999 and I .At the moment I have gone back to 3.9.9.1 and SEEM to be getting positive (no freeze )results.

I will try a flight tonight.

I still suspect something other than FSUIPC is the problem ,but I will let you know what occurs .

Have deleted the INI as you suggested anyway and allowed a new one to be created.

I need to create a longish flight now to give a good test.

Andy

After deleting FSUIPC.ini you may have to reset your AS65 options that use its features. not probable but just in case . . .

After deleting FSUIPC.ini you may have to reset your AS65 options that use its features. not probable but just in case . . .

Ok Ron

I will bare that in mind.

Another test flight last night OLBA-OMSJ aprrox three hours 1200 mls and no problems with this one either ,so I am cautiously optimistic.However some of these glitch monsters are evil little buggers ,and lull you into a false sense of security, wait till you relax your guard ,start your flight,settle into seat ,beer in hand ,something interesting on the radio and then WHAM! the glitch monster strikes again.

So just CAUTIOUS optimism for now.

Cheers Andy