Sign in to follow this  
otterspotter

Can any recommend a good Piper Cherokee or Arrow ?

HiI generally fly the PMDG 737NG but recently received a trial flying lesson from my wife as a birthday present. The lesson will be in either a Piper Cherokee or Piper Arrow.As i don't know much about GA's available for FS2004, i was wandering if anyone could recommend a good freeware model of either of the above that has an accurate flight-model and semi-decent virtual cockpit so that i can get some practice in before the lesson !!!RegardsGary

GaryHere's my advice, for what it's worth. Forget about FS. Instead, switch off your computer, turn your chair around and practice staring out of the window. On my introductory lesson I made the classic mistake of spending too much time looking at the instruments, when I should have been looking outside for visual references during turns etc. Mind you it was a wonderful experience and I signed up for some more.I don't know of any freeware aircraft, but if you want to get a proper idea of what the cockpit will look like you really ought to get the Dreamfleet Archer. I should imagine its layout is very similar to the Cherokee. I know it's payware but it's regarded as one of the best. Final word of warning - you'll get hooked..!RegardsIan

Sounds good advice ian...Fortunately, as the planes's a 4 seater, i'm "employing" the services of a photographer friend and my father to take as many pictures as possible of anything that looks vaguely familiar, as, like youself, i'm sure to miss too much at the time.RegardsGary

There's probably no better Cherokee than Dreamfleet's Archer, but that's payware.Of the free stuff, I find Rien Cornelissen's Warrior very likable (warrior6.zip here in Avsim library). The only problem I had with it was the tendency to turn left when straight and level, so I had to balance it with fuel loading. Other than that, it's a very neat plane. Apparently Rien also made a nice Arrow, but I don't know the zip name. Be advised, Arrow is a complex category aircraft (retractable gear and constant speed propeller).Hope this helps.M.