Sign in to follow this  
Tom Allensworth

How are we doing?

We have made a lot of changes in the last four months or so, executing things that we have been working on for some time. There are more to come, including the new File Library. In the meantime however, I would like to do kind of a tempreture check with you, our members. How are we doing with the new site? Any suggestions? We like to hear your input.

Hi, Tom.

How are we doing with the new site?

Doing very well. . .!

I like the way we can "filter" the display, as :

. . .since last fisit. . .

. . .filter by forum. . .

. . .etc. . .

KUTGW!

Blue skies.

You need to install a candy and concessions counter, popcorn machine... perhaps a pub too for the over 21 crowds!

A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.

- Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

I'm slowly getting to like it....a lot more compatible with other social media sources - I don't usually come and visit the avsim forums but from now on, now that I have tapatalk on the phone as well, I shall be here a lot more often. Well done Team Avsim....looking good :)

I used to hate the new home screen, but, over time, I'm starting to like it. I think Design > Functionality, because over time, Design = Functionality. Same thing for the Facebook Timeline... I used to hate it, but now I like it's design and furthermore I like its functionality. The preview thing for topics is a nice addition. As for the mobile site, I'd like the reintroduction of the "Full Site" button so you can see signatures and stuff. I'm not a big fan of the playing advertisements, I'd rather have still pictures. But, I believe those have been there since AVSIM was open so I don't really care a lot. I like the new favicon. As for groups, I don't feel like they have been getting much attention, but they're a nice addition. One thing I dislike that I think is new is the box under the quick reply box, which shows other posts tagged with the same tags used on the topic you're replying to. A awesome thing that would be nice to have is on the smiley quick-box, you should have an option to pick the smileys that are shown on the tab, so there is easy access to the smileys you actually use, rather than having to click on Show All then finding the one you want.

Other than that... it's :good:!

I have found the new layout (well, not that new...) and the additions (new content especially) to be a vast time-saver. I only miss one feature - last visit date/time somewhere.

I have found the new layout (well, not that new...) and the additions (new content especially) to be a vast time-saver. I only miss one feature - last visit date/time somewhere.

if you are refering to your own last visit date and time, that is at the bottom of every page toward bottom left corner. If you are refering to someone else, find their name in a post, your own friends list, etc and click on it. It will take you to their profile page and show the last time they were online

John Binner, MCDST
U.S. Dept Of Veteran Affairs, Senior IT Analyst

OI&T, SPM, Clinical Imaging

2022 Build: Thermaltake Core X71 Full tower case, ASUS Prime X570-P Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 7 5800X 8-Core CPU, ASUS TUF Gaming Radeon RX6900 XT GPU, G.SKILL Ripjaws 32GB DDR 3600 RAM, Thermaltake Toughpower GF1 850W 80+ Gold PSU, Cooler Master MasterLiquid ML240L Water Cooler

Not overkeen on the new "homepage" layout. But hey, guess I shall just have to get used to it. Suppose I might, in time. Otherwise, yes, very nice.

Arnie....if it ain't broke, don't fix it...

if you are refering to your own last visit date and time, that is at the bottom of every page toward bottom left corner

Thanks a lot John. I cannot remember last time going 'into the bottom', or to the ground as the pilots says.

I don't like it since you lost the extended file search page which was under the file library link on top of the page.. This morning it worked just fine, I come home from work & no longer find it on avsim itself.. I was able to pull up via another link page but unable to download from it..

Why did you have to do that.. Why not just leave it the way it was.. Ever heard of if its not broke don't fix it.. I'm not very good with change to begin with.. Especially when something I've been so use to being there for me & now I come home from work & its no longer available.. This sucks it really does.. Not sure I like AVSIM anymore..

Really wish you would bring back the extended search page.. Place it back under file library where it was when I left this morning.. It was working just fine this morning & now I come home from work & i can't get back to it.. I don't like it..

You wanted to know how we like it.. Well I don't Like it now at all that you got rid of something I have been use to forever on avsim & use to using. I liked the layout of the extended file library the way it was..

Wish you had never taken it away.. I'm heartbroke that its gone.. :Cry:

Please bring back the old extended search file library as it was... :Waiting:

Capt. Bill Brewer    

:p0503: 

After over 8 years of visiting AVSIM I have had enough with this new design of library - you tried changing it before and it didnt work why change something that isnt broke and make it worse.

I can't find any search facilities which are crucial in any library like this.

What is the point please?

Over to flightsim.com from now on

Thnks

John

I love it, it's modern and it's fast. Much easier to find anything.

Some people need to adapt, it's only normal.

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

So you love the fact that, having found out how to search, entering a simple phrase like "Air France feelthere" produces no results? Do you like the idea of scrolling through hundreds of files to find what you want?

I am a very adaptable person just not happy with something that doesnt work properly and if you check the posts so far hardly anyone in favour of the change..

John

I have no complaints, why complain?

But indeed, searching for "Air France" doesn't yield any results. I wouldn't have found it, because i don't fly Air France at all. Sounds like bad/incomplete indexing maybe?

CASE: Custom ALU 5.3L CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4060 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

I feel as though you need to publish an "Avsim for Dummies" book!

The site has just become too cluttered and confusing for me. There have been so many changes in a relatively short amount of time and the site is being tweaked weekly and not neccessarily for the better. I have been patient and I have tried to adapt to the changes but I'm just not liking it.

I use to come here a couple of times a day but now I'm down to once or twice a week and it is simply because of the site losing its visual simplicity. It just isn't pleasing to my eyes anymore. In addition there are features that have been added that I have no use for and the ones that I did use are gone. Some things that I am having a hard time with:

1. What happened to the "View First Unread Post" at the top of each thread?

2. Why is the main forum page the width of my browser but when I go to a particular forum the width is smaller with wasted space on the sides?

3. Why was the font size increased for the thread titles?

4. Now I have to adapt to the library change and I haven't adapted to the forum changes yet.

It feels like the staff is just adding every software feature available without polling the users to see what is used and what isn't. Maybe I'm just getting too old to adapt to all of these new fangled toys but IMHO Avsim has lost its soul.

Todd