Sign in to follow this  
EngineRoom

Attitudes Towards Piracy

Bendead, I just checked your account and you have been banned from the ET team for some time, strangely enough you tried to log in again 2 days ago. From the comments regarding other ET members you we're 'the troll of the ET Team' Fortunately I never had to deal with you.

Rob Prest

Bendead, I just checked your account and you have been banned from the ET team for some time, strangely enough you tried to log in again 2 days ago. From the comments regarding other ET members you we're 'the troll of the ET Team' Fortunately I never had to deal with you.

Of Course !!!

A lot of my posts were about bad ET management and bad support. Of course I expected to be ban, negative post when you are minus 1200 feet on a U-boat are always tricky.

I spent my money to help an A320 addon maker, but you kept my money and haven't made any progress !

So if you are a true gentleman, I will see a refund. If not I will keep destroying your reputation.

If not I will keep destroying your reputation.

No you won't. All of your posts will now be previewed before you are allowed to post. If that doesn't get your attention, you won't be posting at all...

Piracy hurts everyone, plain and simple.

Look at what PC gaming in general used to be and what it is now. The quality and quantity of games has decreased drastically. Granted, piracy isn't the only reason for that but it is a big one. Now, more games are on consoles where piracy is a bit more difficult.

Now, prices go up, DRM usage goes up, and the pirates now use this as justification to continue. There is no excuse for it.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

There is no excuse for it.

congrats.gif Sometimes a few words is enough to sum it up.

software piracy is thievery plain and simple and there is nothing worse than a thief. kill them with fire

Yaaarrr, I be fed up to the gunwhales wi' bilge-sucking pirates me hearties. Shiver me timbers if their pillaging ways don't be costing me more in doubloons and pieces of eight to get me paws on the finest FSX fare. 'Tis the cat o nine tails they deserve, a taste o' me cutlass, or a trip to Davy Jones' Locker. Savvy?

Al

You are a genuine genius! I can't have been the only one to read this in the tone of Jack Sparrow? Specially the last bit!

Al, ever thought of doing a stint at the Bard's home in Stratford with that prose? You'd make a fortune with the overseas tourists :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

Look at what PC gaming in general used to be and what it is now. The quality and quantity of games has decreased drastically.

I dont think that is the case!

The indie game scene is booming and there have been more than enough AAA games on the PC in the last year and on the horizon to ensure neither my Xbox nor PS3 have got a look in. Indeed I have lent the Playstation out for over a year now and haven't missed it.

I am playing more quality titles on the PC now than I have in a long, long time!

The one related thing that does irk enormously are the measures that some publishers are implementing to try and prevent piracy - measures which only ever inconvenience the paying customer and make not one jot of difference to the pirate. Enforcing "always on" drm methods thinlly disguised as "social enhancements" to a game is just rotten and I wish it would stop.

Yes Ubisoft, Maxis and Blizzard - I am looking at you.

More publishers should take a leaf out of CD Projekts book -treat your customers with respect, offer up support and new content for free beyond the initial launch of the game and you will win loyal, paying, repeat clients.

To quote Gabe Newell:

"We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem," he said. "If a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24 x 7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country 3 months after the US release, and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable."

I don't see Valve struggling at the moment...

Generally speaking, most habitual pirates will continue to do so if they can, regardless of the price or quality of the product. What people need to do is offer their honest customers a top quality product and quality support without invasive DRM. Allowing customers the opportunity for refunds if they are dissatisfied doesn't hurt either!

You are a genuine genius! I can't have been the only one to read this in the tone of Jack Sparrow? Specially the last bit!

Then you'll like this (warning, there is the odd swear word in this, so don't watch it if that sort of thing offends you, but it does have 78 million views on youtube and it is absolutely hilarious, and concerns the only sort of piracy I can tolerate):

[media=]

[/media]

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

The indie game scene is booming and there have been more than enough AAA games on the PC in the last year

Really? Flightsim has been turned into Flight. Combatsims have been pushed to niche markets. Many other games are designed for consoles then get ported (poorly) to PC. Sure you get the occasional good game, but nothing like it was. I can't even justify upgrading my PC for just Flightsim.

Things used to be a lot better.

I don't see Valve struggling at the moment...

Generally speaking, most habitual pirates will continue to do so if they can, regardless of the price or quality of the product. What people need to do is offer their honest customers a top quality product and quality support without invasive DRM. Allowing customers the opportunity for refunds if they are dissatisfied doesn't hurt either!

You like Valve, but hate DRM? What do you think Steam is? They were the first big company to push DRM.

Most DRM is just fine. You get the occasional exception (like Ubisoft, I wouldn't touch their products).

You blame piracy on DRM? DRM exists because of them. Piracy came long before DRM.

Craig from KBUF

Really? Flightsim has been turned into Flight. Combatsims have been pushed to niche markets. Many other games are designed for consoles then get ported (poorly) to PC. Sure you get the occasional good game, but nothing like it was. I can't even justify upgrading my PC for just Flightsim.

Things used to be a lot better.

Then I guess we will have to agree to disagree on that one. I really don't think we are in some kind of PC gaming dark-age - quite the opposite in fact.

Specifically on the flightsim side of things...well that is a bit different I concur, but then it has always been relatively niche anyway?

You like Valve, but hate DRM? What do you think Steam is? They were the first big company to push DRM.

Hmm. I don't recall saying I hated DRM?

I hate invasive DRM. I hate DRM that requires you to be always online or to have an online connection to launch each and every time. I hate DRM disguised as superfluous social features in single-player games. I hate limited activations. I hate limited downloads. Most of all I hate the fact that 99.9% of DRM ain't worth a damn - it is almost always made completely redundant soon after (if not before) a games release.

Steam doesn't interfere with my playtime. Steam lets me play my games offline after an initial activation. Steam provides a social portal that I actually use once in a while and it allows me to delete, download and re-download my library as many times as I like on as many computers as I like.

Sure, it certainly isn't perfect; there are still worrying question marks over who really owns the games in my library (occasionally I get nervous that my huge library of games could potentially be locked away from me!), it is almost certainly an unhealthily monopolistic entity and there are other alternatives out there that offer the same feature sets, but so far I have had no issues with it and I have been using it from the day of its release some 8 odd years ago.

Most DRM is just fine. You get the occasional exception (like Ubisoft, I wouldn't touch their products).

Aye - see above!

You blame piracy on DRM? DRM exists because of them. Piracy came long before DRM.

I don't recall saying that either!

...and I am well aware of the history of piracy and DRM...

lenslockdevice.jpg

I seem to recall my Atari 800xl copy of F15 Strike Eagle coming with one of these circa 1984!

Cheers

Specifically on the flightsim side of things...well that is a bit different I concur, but then it has always been relatively niche anyway?

It always was niche, now it is becoming extremely niche. MS is a huge company, yet for years and years they still supported our niche. Now? We have less sim options and less 3rd party developers. Part of that is simply because of the increased cost and complexity, but much of it comes down to piracy.

Hmm. I don't recall saying I hated DRM?

I hate invasive DRM. I hate DRM that requires you to be always online or to have an online connection to launch each and every time. I hate DRM disguised as superfluous social features in single-player games. I hate limited activations. I hate limited downloads. Most of all I hate the fact that 99.9% of DRM ain't worth a damn - it is almost always made completely redundant soon after (if not before) a games release.

Steam doesn't interfere with my playtime. Steam lets me play my games offline after an initial activation. Steam provides a social portal that I actually use once in a while and it allows me to delete, download and re-download my library as many times as I like on as many computers as I like.

Sure, it certainly isn't perfect; there are still worrying question marks over who really owns the games in my library and occasionally I get nervous that my huge library of games could potentially be locked away from me, it is almost certainly an unhealthily monopolistic entity and there are other alternatives out there that offer the same feature sets, but so far I have had no issues with it and I have been using it from the day of its release some 8 odd years ago.

Many people find Steam invasive. I don't either, but others do. "Bad" DRM gets run out of the market pretty quickly. I haven't run into limited registrations in a long time. The companies that use those things don't get my business, but I don't pirate their software.

DRM does not justify piracy. Nothing justifies piracy. Piracy is bad for publishers, developers and consumers.

Craig from KBUF

"Bad" DRM gets run out of the market pretty quickly.

Sadly I don't think it does - it just changes shape.

DRM does not justify piracy. Nothing justifies piracy. Piracy is bad for publishers, developers and consumers.

...and neither myself nor the vast majority of the other participants on this thread have posited the contrary!

What I am saying is that there are various ways to combat piracy and various ways to minimise the impact that it has on ones business. I don't believe in the efficacy of many of the methods people employ in defence of piracy, nor do I believe all of the arguments people put forward in justifying their anti-piratic (yeah I know that isn't a word!) crusades, nor do I agree with the often staggeringly inappropriate potential sentences and fines applicable to individuals caught pirating material. When you can get more jail time for receiving or distributing pirated material than you can for acts of personal violence or rape, something is very rotten in Denmark...

I also (see the other thread for the detailed argument) don't believe that the arbitrary censorship of the web is a valid response nor that publishers, record labels, film studios and the various other corporate entities tangled up with the whole caboose are acting in the best interests of "their" artists.

I do believe that every artist and creator should be appropriately remunerated for their works, but when both the freedom of information on the internet and legal processes are compromised in the name of policing that remuneration, I become rather conflicted about the whole thing.