Sign in to follow this  
Reason

Sukhoi Superjet 100 Has lost contact when having a demonstration flight

Not sure to be honest - the OFF light could be a difference in the design between Airbus and the SSJ, but I definitely see your point.

Again, we don't know either, only speculation at the minute, but we're guessing something along those lines...

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

I was surprised to see that this is a sidestick equipped aircraft, does anyone know a bit about the flight controls on this aircraft? I can see some switches above the apu that suggest some kind of flight control configuration. The design does look a lot like airbus.

Really sad to see those pictures of the crew and passengers happy onboard before the flight.

It is strange that the TERR switch is off.

Edit- it seems like they have found the wreckage, aircraft split in two and it doesn't look good for survivors. Let's hope the reports are wrong

Regards

Rob Prest

I was surprised to see that this is a sidestick equipped aircraft, does anyone know a bit about the flight controls on this aircraft? I can see some switches above the apu that suggest some kind of flight control configuration. The design does look a lot like airbus.

Really sad to see those pictures of the crew and passengers happy onboard before the flight.

It is strange that the TERR switch is off.

Regards

Going again by what has been said on our own private forums, The Sukhoi-100 is FBW with FBW protections VERY similar to the ones in Airbus aircraft, sidestick is used, but the throttles are back-driven and do not use detents like Airbus.

Ró.

Taken from our forums

The flight control system has three modes - normal, degraded and minimum. Normal is where all primary flight control units (PFCU) and fight controls are functioning. Degraded is where some input signals are lost - for example, if data is missing from the air data or inertial reference system.

Minimum mode, when all PFCU, air-data or inertial-reference input is lost, is close to Airbus's "direct law", but with improved manual handling qualities as the damping is still available in roll, yaw and pitch channels. There is no envelope protection, but handling qualities are close to normal.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Thank you Ronan, I was wondering the same as Rob! pilot2.gif

And I am very sorry about the tragedy.

First of all for the people involved, but also for the Russian aviation industry.

Following the sketchy news about this the best I can.. From what I can scrum together.

Air searched canceled, ground search on going and the report about the wreckage found and the graphic description of it which I won't repeat hasn't been confirmed and considered false. From what I've read one of the helicopter pilots thought he may have saw something right before they canceled the air search but it's just hearsay at this point.

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Way too soon to know what happened. I see no reason to blame the aircraft or Russian Aviation industry when it could be so many possibilities.

Americans are not free of mistakes either. All nations are far from perfect. Human nature has no national origin.

Matthew Kane

Capt Rónán

Admittedly, we are discussing a tragic occurrence somewhere in Indonesia.

So, please bear with me. Off a tangent with this question to you. A few days ago Ch5 did a documentary on the World's Scariest Flights, and there were 3 utterly amazing displays of sheer airmanship shown in that documentary.

• one was the Polish pilot of a LOT 767-300ER making a successful landing without landing gear from a flight out of New York in Poland.
  • the other was the pilot of the Ethiopian 767-300ER landing in the sea near the Comoros Islands in the Indian Ocean when his plane was hijacked out of Addis.
  • the third was of Capt 'Sully' with that A320 ditch in the Hudson and he admitted that he had thought of that Ethiopian aircrew making that ditch in the sea which inspired him.

My question is, as we all know herein that you are a very professional R/L skipper, and your opinions and thoughts are valued here, so, what amongst your erstwhile flying colleagues, specially the A320 air crews, is their evaluation of what Capt 'Sully' managed to pull off with that landing in the Hudson?

I will never step on board a Russian aircraft if I don't have to.

+1

I guess that theory depends on what the checklists and CRM responsibilities are. I would assume that part of the panel is the P1's responsibility owing to its location, but I don't know for sure of course. If there is a 'lights out' policy for the overhead, one assumes they'd spot it, but of course if they did not, then it wouldn't be the first time something on the overhead has been left in an incorrect switch position.

Could be a lot of things caused the incident of course, even simply the weather - Indonesia has more thunderstorms than anywhere else in the world, and let's not forget that before the CFM 56 intake spinner was redesigned, the rain in that area was bad enough to flame out both engines on a B737 and cause it to make a forced landing in a river because they could not be restarted - and according to what I'm reading, it was apparently raining when the SSJ made that demo flight.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Frankly, this doesn't surprise me at all. Russian aircraft are especially known for their unreliability. In fact, as much as I truly love flying, I will never step on board a Russian aircraft if I don't have to. POS planes, if you ask me. But maybe nobody is asking haha. Sorry if I offended anyone... I just get sick and tired of hearing about how Russian aircraft and certain nationality foreign operators can't seem to maintain basic reliability and their planes are constantly crashing, killing thousands. I don't normally agree with how the government operates, but I do have to commend United States' and Europes regulations that keep their planes so reliable and safe. It's just stupid that so many planes are crashing unnecessarily. Sometimes it really is just an accident, but just the fact that hearing about a Russian aircraft crashing doesn't surprise me at all is kind of worrisome, don't you think? As a real-world pilot, I don't think about dying when I fly, but I swear if I had to fly a Chinese airline or a Russian aircraft (just for examples), I really, honestly would want to have all my stuff in order and be hoping we made it to the other side... on earth, not somewhere else.

The issue I have with this is it is looking at a history of a nation without recognizing how much it has changed. Russia is no longer the Soviet Union. Even an Airbus A320 that crashed in Toulouse back in 1994 on demonstration had no impact on the product, Today that aircraft is now showing better numbers then the 737...

Russia is a nation that is constantly evolving, it is innovating, and it is rebuilding as a modern industrialized nation.

This was way too quick on the gun with the blame game. An issue with Americans is no matter how big you think you are....Globally you are like a small island. Sometimes you just spend a little too much time at home that you loose touch with other things that are happening around the globe. My best advise to any American that starts to think this way is......Get off your island and see the rest of the world for what it is, it will be the best thing you can ever do.

To be honest, people are not that much different the word over. I just can't stand arrogance because it will always be your biggest failure. The moment you think you are better then someone else is exactly the moment that you fail.

Matthew Kane

Crash Site Found:

sukhoi_su95_ra-97004_jakarta_120509_2.jpg

Your link is broken mate....I've seen it on another source as well. It looks like it when straight into a side of a mountain.

I still wouldn't play a blame game yet (for others) and give it some more time.

For my nation (New Zealand) we had Air New Zealand Flight 901 that hit the side of a mountain as well, with an American built jet. What can I say, $hit happens.

Cheers

Matthew Kane

It is raining pretty hard now and as I am typing this the local tv station says the evacuation is temporarily stopped. I don't understand why the ATC gave clearance to descend from 10.000 to 6000 over that mountainous terrain?