Sign in to follow this  
basic ils

Bing is your friend. A friendly tip.

I'll preface my tip by saying I am in no way affiliated with MS, Bing, Bill gates, Josh Howard, AVSIM, or anyone connected to these fine people/organizations. And I will see no financial gain by posting this, but you will.

I've seen a few posts about Aeorcaches and people using Google to research the daily hunts. This is costing you real money. Having only learned about this in the past few days, I thought I'd share for those of you who don't know.

Go to the Xbox site and under the "Xbox Live" tab, click on "Xbox LIVE Rewards" and enroll in the program. Make sure you are signed in under your primary gamertag.

Using the rewards program allows you to earn credits. You can use these credits to buy Microsoft Points which you can use to purchase DLC.

So you might be asking, How is using Google costing me real money? You earn credits by searching on Bing! Up to 20 credits a day! There are others ways to earn credits but a click glance over the Rewards site will point you in the right direction.

Yeah, but how many credits does it take to buy Points? Right now it takes 475 credits to buy 400 MSPs. In 24 days you'll have enough credits to get 400 MSPs. Not bad at all. The P-40 costs 560 MSPs. Nice little savings/bonus by using Bing for your Aerocache research.

Anyways, this is an easy way to defray the cost of monthly DLC.

Warning: Do not abuse the rewards program by using multiple accounts. MS will find you and ban you from further rewards.

I'd say... BINGo !!!!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since October 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

If only Bing actually brought up relevant information...

Hi,

Thanks. Only took a couple of minutes to sign up. It recognized my gamertag as I was signed up after just a few clicks. I bookmarked the site, so now I have to remember to check things every so often to see what's going on.

Jim F.

You earn credits by searching on Bing!

Interesting post, but if MS are paying people to 'google' with Bing, then something's not gone right for their search engine aspirations...

Interesting post, but if MS are paying people to 'google' with Bing, then something's not gone right for their search engine aspirations...

Which is why MS tried to buy Yahoo a few years back at ~$30 a share (Yahoo now trades at ~$15/share). Let's just say "search" is not MS's forte. But we digress.

Afaik this is only applicable for US?

Can anyone confirm or decline?

I read this on the Rewards site:

"Xbox LIVE Rewards is open to free and Gold Xbox LIVE members who live in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Mexico, France, Germany, Australia, New Zealand or Ireland and are 13 years or older."

I also read you need to connect your XBox to the internet in order to join the program: I don't own an XBox and I don't live in one of the mentioned countries, so... I will stick with Google. :wink:

I think it's good to make clear this isn't a simple trick that works for everyone!!!

Have read the FAQ now.

The Bing search reward is only given in US.

All other rewards in the countries above. But all earned points are only valid for 1 month.

I read this on the Rewards site:

"Xbox LIVE Rewards is open to free and Gold Xbox LIVE members who live in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada, Mexico, France, Germany, Australia, New Zealand or Ireland and are 13 years or older."

I also read you need to connect your XBox to the internet in order to join the program: I don't own an XBox and I don't live in one of the mentioned countries, so... I will stick with Google. :wink:

I think it's good to make clear this isn't a simple trick that works for everyone!!!

Bolded part is not true. You just need an Windows Live Account.

Bolded part is not true. You just need an Windows Live Account.

Ah, ok, clear. Well, it certainly is a great tip for all US-pilots so thanks for the heads up! Hopefully other countries will be added in the future: it's always nice gettings things for free... :wink:

But anyway Microsoft announced last week that Windows LIVE and Points will be suspended and a new unified Microsft ID system will be introduced with the release of Windows 8.

Let's hope they will also introduce a worldwide rewardsystem... :wink:

It's actually called bing rewards not Xbox Live Rewards which is actually a different program. If you go to bing and sign in with your windows ID you can enable bing rewards.

Just tried it from Canada but, unfortunately, it is only available in the United States. I will have to look into the XBox Live rewards to see what that is about though as that seems to be available in more countries.