Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Weather in FLIGHT - Pressure

Apparently PRESSURE is fixed, no matter, what time of day, day of year or weather scenario you choose.

I can't talk about the temperature.

I didn't try to find two aerodromes at the same altitude to check if PRESSURE varies with location (Lat/Lon), though....

I believe the same must happen with temperature, maybe with a day/night variation that was one of the settings in FSX.

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I would assume you are flying on a standard day no matter what you do in Flight.

As there is no ATC or automated weather reports, it would be very difficult to fly if the pressure was anything other than 29.92.

Well I wouldn't go as far as to say it would be "difficult" to fly if you're in good VFR conditions, but it definitely wouldn't be safe or legal. Everyone should be able to fly these planes with zero instrumentation.

Everyone should be able to fly these planes with zero instrumentation.

The warbirds, at least!

I used to fly a Rotax powered 'Powerchute' all over the South of England, and even in France down the Loire Valley... Instrumentation was limited to a crude altimeter velcro'd to the 'keel' of the aircraft (which was wide open) and a compass hanging around my neck... Life was simple ( and slow) then :)

I didn't find any way to find out the OAT. None of the airplanes includes it :-(

I would like to know if the temperature is also ISA or if it varies at least according to the season...

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

The Maule has a OAT Gauge, but it`s not working.

Knowing the fact that the pressure is ISA i assume temperature is also ISA. So temperature should 15°C

I believe that's your oil temp prior to engine start.

It might be, but the values I read are fixed. I just have to confirm if they differ from season to season, but honestly I tend to believe that, at least for now, FLIGHT is ISA :-)

Is this a problem? Not really if you intend to use it as a nice flight simulation game, but a problem if you think of it as a didactic platform... And here comes the question: if on the one hand you have aircraft IFR equipped and can actualy fly an IFR approach, use Victor airways, etc..., then why not allowing to taste the effects of a takeoff on a hot summer day vs a cold winter night :-)

Pressure would also make sense as a variable parameter, just as in RL, and at least it would make use of the available Kollsman window and knob to set QNH/QFE or QNE...

Looking forward for what Alaska may reveal... :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Thank you. I've probably posted that 10 times now.

That temperature is the same no matter what the season, but varies with altitude. It's 15 degrees C at sea level and changes to 14 C if you're a very few feet higher. The number is probably rounded down, so that 14.9 is reported as 14. If you start at a higher altitude airport, it takes a while for the oil to cool from 15 C to the ambient temperature, but appears to be the standard 2 degrees per 1000 feet.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

but a problem if you think of it as a didactic platform..

I think it's best to forget about didactic when it comes to Flight. :wink: Right now, and I presume for quite some time to come, Flight is about having fun flying. The game simulates a lot of things but clearly not enough (yet) to even think of it as a didactic platform.

I think it's best to forget about didactic when it comes to Flight. Right now, and I presume for quite some time to come, Flight is about having fun flying. The game simulates a lot of things but clearly not enough (yet) to even think of it as a didactic platform.

I'm afraid you're right Jeroen, and either one can find himself satisfied with it, just the way it is now, and enjoy, or not...

I'm still finding FLIGHT very enjoyable, but at the same time I begin to wonder if this / that features will make it's way up to future DLCs....

Anyway, I somehow expect Hawaii to define more or less the mid-term evolution of the FLIGHT platform and so, I am placing my hopes on it...

Main Simulation Rig:

Man you guys are getting way above my level of expertise - did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night or what?

:smile:

Seriously, great stuff!

did you sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night or what?

I slept at home, in the confort of my bed and my girlfriend, who pushed me away from the PC around 1:00AM

when I was almost dismaying from my FLIGHT tests... :Hypnotized:

Today I woke up rather positive about FLIGHT again.... Go figure :-)

Main Simulation Rig: