Sign in to follow this  
Appliance

Runway Awareness and Advisory System (RAAS)

Browsing the iFly forum yesterday I was introduced to and fascinated by this relatively new technolgy.

Thanks to one erase the following link was provided:-

http://library.avsim.net/search.php?SearchTerm=fsraas11.zip&CatID=root&Go=Search

I commend all heavy simmers research this, download and run Dongjin Shin's brilliant program which, although free, is FAR more worthy than recently released payware.

Blue skies. :Just Kidding:

Yes, I confirm this is a great little utility. :good:

Adds realism and fun.

Thanks for the heads up! I will install and try it over the weekend

Gonna give this utility a look-see tonight. The demo video on youtube convinced me. I am for anything that adds more realism to my sim experience. Thanks for the link Appliance!

Mobo/CPU: MSI Z490-A PRO - Intel Core i7-11700K (8 cores - 16 Threads) @5Ghz (CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-U12S)

GPU: SAPPHIRE PULSE Radeon RX 5600XT 6Gb GDDR6

RAM: 32Gb (4x8Gb) TEAMGROUP T-Force Vulcan Z DDR4 3200Mhz CL16

Storage: Samsung 980 PRO PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD 500Gb & addlink 1TB SSD NVMe PCIe 3.0 M.2

PSU: EVGA 750BQ 80+ Bronze 750W

although free, is FAR more worthy than recently released payware.

Blue skies. :Just Kidding:

Too little too late. I already bought it. :Cry: It is still good, but knowing there is a free one out there is annoying. Thanks for the heads up anyway.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/user/Youmou0205

Amazing! Thanks for sharing.

BTW does anybody have list of airlines currently using RAAS on which aircraft types? I have seen videos of EK 777's and LH 744's where they had it installed. But I have no clue who else uses it on what part of the fleet...

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

2x Samsung 840Evo SSD | BenQ PD3200Q 32"

Thanks nam1394! Do you know which aircraft are equipped with RAAS at those airlines? I heard that for example Lufthansa only has it on their B744's...

Max

i9 9900K @5GHz | Gigabyte Aorus Z390 Ultra | 32GB Gskill 3200C14 | Palit GTX 1080Ti Super Jetstream

Fedex also have it installed on there MD11 freighters.

Rob Prest

Thanks nam1394! Do you know which aircraft are equipped with RAAS at those airlines? I heard that for example Lufthansa only has it on their B744's...

I really don't know details. But these the airlines that started installing it in some of their planes. Alaska for example started in 2008.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

So far I came up with:

• Lufthansa: B747
  • Alaska Airlines: B737
  • United: ?
  • Air France: A32X, A330
  • Emirates: B777
  • SWISS: ?
  • FedEx: MD-11, B727

I have to check some more Youtube videos. Since AF has it on their A32X and A330 fleet, they might as well have it on their A340's. Probably also their 777's and 747's. I guess there are many many more operators out there. Would be cool to get a list, so one can simulate the system close to reality in FS. I'll update the list here as I get more information.

Max

It seems these are mostly for use in extreme ground low visibility where it is difficult to see path boundaries and intersections besides taxiing in unfamiliar airports. Now that at some airports transponders are kept hot on the ground for tower based ground control (forgot the term) is there any tie in with this device emulating a TCAS for the ground? In FS as well?

It seems these are mostly for use in extreme ground low visibility where it is difficult to see path boundaries and intersections besides taxiing in unfamiliar airports.

Actually, there is a video of Swiss A330 at KORD and it was following another plane and visibility was good.

Naif Almazroa

My Youtube channel:

It seems these are mostly for use in extreme ground low visibility where it is difficult to see path boundaries and intersections besides taxiing in unfamiliar airports. Now that at some airports transponders are kept hot on the ground for tower based ground control (forgot the term) is there any tie in with this device emulating a TCAS for the ground?

The RAAS has nothing to do with a "ground TCAS". It is also not limited to low vis ops. As the name states the system intends to raise the "runway awareness" around airports these days. That means even in nice weather, just look at how many incidents there were in the past where pilots tried to take off or land on a taxiway or a wrong runway. I read a report that runway incursions could be reduced by 6-10%, if all aircraft operating at an airport would be equipped with RAAS.

Since the Honeywell-system works through the EPGWS interface, I doubt it is possible to couple it with the TCAS. Also I am not sure if your idea about the "hot" transponders on the ground would be enough for the TCAS to work on the ground. At least not without modifications to the software and probably also to the technology. I guess in FS you would go crazy anyway with a ground TCAS, considering the amount of AI traffic at some virtual airports :biggrin:

Thanks nam1394 for the Swiss A330-video. So we can add this one to the list too!

Max