Sign in to follow this  
Captain_Barfbag

VOR and GPS out of alignment

I just started seeing an odd effect with my VOR gauge. It is out of alignment with my GPS by about 10 degrees. I'm thinking that the GPS is pointing true, while the VOR is pointing magnetic, as the difference is about right.

Is this possible, and how did it happen? More important, how do I fix it?

I downloaded some scenery and an aircraft, and played with some traffic and AFCAD files prior to seeing this. Thanks.

Might be a problem with your magdec.bgl file??? If not, it might be related to a particular area. I have experienced this flying the DF727 in more northerly latitudes. Check and see if it's happening everywhere and not just in some areas...

I'm thinking that the GPS is pointing true, while the VOR is pointing magnetic, as the difference is about right.

VORs are aligned to magnetic north.

Most VORs are aligned to magnetic north, but more importantly, the VOR data record includes a magnetic variation entry that determines the radials. This variation may differ from that used in magdec for driving GPS and compasses. I don't know about 10 degrees, seems kind of big. What VOR?

scott s.

I also experianced this problem. I turned out to be a bad afcad i installed. You said you install some scenery and afcads, try remove them and see if things return to normal

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64                                                                                                                                             

Thanks for the suggestions. The scenery was the Madiera, Portugal one that was released a few days ago. It was a bit odd, in that the installation instruction included disabling a couple of the bgl files in the Africa scenery folder. (Madiera is an island well south of Portugal, 600 miles from Lisbon, off the African coast.)

The scenery did not come with an AFCAD file, so I took the default one and moved stuff around.

When I realized where this island was, I decided I'd probably never fly there anyway. I'm not much for long, straight flights over the ocean, so it won't cause me any pain if I have to disable this one.

Thanks for the suggestions. The scenery was the Madiera, Portugal one that was released a few days ago. It was a bit odd, in that the installation instruction included disabling a couple of the bgl files in the Africa scenery folder. (Madiera is an island well south of Portugal, 600 miles from Lisbon, off the African coast.)

The scenery did not come with an AFCAD file, so I took the default one and moved stuff around.

When I realized where this island was, I decided I'd probably never fly there anyway. I'm not much for long, straight flights over the ocean, so it won't cause me any pain if I have to disable this one.

Get the aerosoft scenery for that Island. It will work out much better for you.

Bill McIntyre

Asus Rampage V Extreme, Intel Core I7 6950X (10 core)@ 4.5, 32GB's Crucial Ballistics DDR4 MEM, 1 Crucial M.2 4TB SSD, 4 Crucial-2TB SSD, Corsair H115i CPU liquid cooler, NVIDIA RTX 2080TI Founders Edition, LG 34" HD Curved Monitor, 2 Dell 27" Monitors, Sound Blaster Audigy X, 1Kw PC Power & Cooling Power Supply, Corsair Obsidian Full tower Case.  FSX-SE, MFFS 2020, PD3 v5.4, WIN10 Pro x64