Sign in to follow this  
mdexter

SSD, RAM or Graphics card for greater performance.

HI Folks,

I know there are so many threads on this subject but what out of these three pieces of Hardware would give better frames in FSX.

I run an i7 @ 4.8ghz have Standard IDE drives Read/Write 125mb/s OS on one FSX on another dedicated. x2 560ti OC & 16gb of 1333 Ram.

Any immediate thoughts to make FSX better?

Many thanks for any suggestions......

I would say faster CPU, when it comes along... your current config is about as good as it gets, short of liquid helium cooled rigs..

Bert

SSD's don't do anything for framerates as far as I know. In my opinion, you would benefit from some faster memory, something that runs in the 2133 Mhz range. Your GPU is good, and upgrading there will mostly just allow you to run higher AA settings. This thread should be in the hardware forum by the way.

You are pretty close to top of the line as far as FSX is concerned. As mentioned above, SSDs would help with load times and to eliminate any stutters you might have remaining, and the video card upgrade would allow you to run some of the high end AA modes like 16xS for example, without any framerate loss.

Personally I would go for a nice video card upgrade, like a GTX 680 (if you can find one... they are like gold right now.) You get to crank up the image quality in FSX, and if you play any other games on your PC you will definitely benefit there as well.

You are pretty close to top of the line as far as FSX is concerned. As mentioned above, SSDs would help with load times and to eliminate any stutters you might have remaining, and the video card upgrade would allow you to run some of the high end AA modes like 16xS for example, without any framerate loss.

Personally I would go for a nice video card upgrade, like a GTX 680 (if you can find one... they are like gold right now.) You get to crank up the image quality in FSX, and if you play any other games on your PC you will definitely benefit there as well.

After some initial reports, the GTX 680 may not be an upgrade over the 580 for fsx, and it might be the same story with Ivy Bridge vs. Sandy Bridge with IB running very hot, thus limiting OC potential. Not much difference unfortunately between the chips.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/370913-gtx580-vs-gtx680-comparison/

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/372542-ivy-bridge-hits-the-streets-post-your-results-here/page__st__100

Awesome Folks...many thanks, yes sorry for not sticking in the Hardware Threads.......I will look at some 2133 Ram I think......many thanks again

Awesome Folks...many thanks, yes sorry for not sticking in the Hardware Threads.......I will look at some 2133 Ram I think......many thanks again

I think that would be a good starting point as it is pretty affordable. I highly recommend Mushkin memory. I have used it twice now in my past two builds and it has been rock solid and works at its rated speed/voltage with no fuss. If you are still looking for a little more performance, than I would start looking at a GTX 580 as they are dropping in price with the release of the 680. You could probably get a used one for around $300 from someone who is upgrading to the 680.

Hmm, will I notice much of a difference over the 560ti's I have, they are O'ced to 1000mhz?