Sign in to follow this  
davidlondon

Can my system really take NGX + FS2Crew + Radar Contact?

I'm running NGX and FS2Crew Voice okay. There are occasional catastrophic freezes if I try to execute too many procedures at once, for example flicking switches on final, with more than two pop-up panel instrument windows open. VC takes a little time to refresh from grey too, when I take a Spot peek from the outside.

My system is a Sony laptop running Vista Business, Intel Centrino 2 Duo CPU, P9600 @ 2.66 GHz 2.67 GHz, RAM 4.00 GB, 32-bit operating system.

I know the setup could be more powerful, but I can't upgrade it for now. Until then, would be it okay or simply a bad idea to attempt adding Radar Contact to the NGX + FS2Crew Voice combination?

Not a techie, so would much appreciate plain English advice! :Hypnotized:

Many thanks.

David

Guest dlrk

Not relevant to your question, but what's your FPS on that?

The BIG problem with notebooks is that they usually come with cheaper, and less energy consuming, but much slower, 5400rpm disks. If you could get a 7200rpm disk (industry standart) or even better SSD (insanely fast, but expensive and relatively small, I have 640GB disk in my notebook, and 512GB SSDs that I could find locally would cost about 500eur, which is more than my whole notebook),

it will definitely help at the very least with the slow texture loading, which is the biggest problem I meet with my notebook. If I keep in VC, textures stay, but ground textures are most times insanely blurry wherever I arrive, as well as mesh takes a while to load. My next PC will probably be a desktop, and I will most definitely invest in a SSD disk for FSX.

Try it. Only you can decide if it is good enough and if you decide it isn't, you have it for when you do update your computer.

Thanks, everyone, for your various thoughts on this.

In answer to your question, Peter, most of time my fps fluctuates in the range 15-25 (25 targetted), largely at the higher end of that range. So it functions okay by and large, but there's nothing much to take undue risk with!

Best wishes,

David

I really doubt Radar Contact will change much in terms of performance, unless you're right on the memory limit (IIRC it takes around 30mb's of memory usage) but for performance hit it really is negligible.

Thanks,Jay. So maybe it'll be okay - at least a fair risk.

Appreciate your advice.

Best wishes,

David

The 32-bit OS is probably the source of your freezes - you're running out of virtual address space (XP is limited to 4GB total for everything runnging) This is why we recommend 64-bit.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Thanks, Ryan.

Yes, I have come to appreciate that there is a performance constraint with 32-bit setups ...

Best wishes,

David