Sign in to follow this  
byork

What should I do with the pirates I've caught?

Since piracy is being discussed currently in the Hangar Chat forum, I'll throw this one out to the peanut gallery.

I've caught several pirates red-handed with my new FS2Crew NGX product.

A few of them are Avsim members.

What should I do with them?

I get it all the time, not much that can be done except block them from any support.

Rob Prest

Make them walk the plank?

You have no idea how much I resisted posting that..

Rob Prest

I thought about doing a "Shame the Johns" style campaign but instead of writing their IPs (aka their License Plate Numbers) down on the road in front of my apartment, I'd thought I'd publish their names in my forum.

Maybe as an alternate punishment I can make them attend "Pirate School" where they learn about how piracy damages mom and pop Indie developers like FS2Crew.

But I don't know... I try to keep things positive in my forum... Getting nasty can turn people off as well.

And FS2Crew is just a tiny Indie developer, I don't have the resources to hire lawyers and sue people in foreign countries.

Personally I would post them right here if You are dead nuts sure who they are so we know who to avoid.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

You have no idea how much I resisted posting that..

I clearly lack your willpower!

Personally I would post them right here if You are dead nuts sure who they are so we know who to avoid.

Aye - a name and shame is a possibility if you are dead-on, absolutely sure beyond all shadow of a doubt that you have them bang to rights...

I am sure that those accused will deny it vehemently though and it just becomes one word against another.

Hmm.

Have you asked them directly to do the right thing and pay you for your product if they are using it?

Contact them, explain how their actions are selfish and irresponsible, how they hurt you and the wider FS addon industry, and invite them to do the right thing and actually pay for the product they have pirated.

If they fail to give a satisfactory response then name and shame them.

It also might be worth passing their details on to PMDG as if they have pirated FS2Crew for the NGX then I would expect they may very hall have pirated the NGX as well.

I've contacted some... some realized the gig was up and they actually bought the software.

One guy was actually really remorseful that he had done it, and he bought the software.

Others, however, just simply ignore your emails.

Give them a get out of jail free by letting them know you know and asking them to buy the product, and if not, name and shame. If you have their e-mail, let it be known, 10-15 emails from different people condemning your actions may well shame them into buying. Of course if they do buy after being named and shamed let that be know also, otherwise it'd seem a tad spiteful....

Ró.

Rónán O Cadhain.

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

It is slightly funny how they go silent once they know you are on to them. What amazes me is that they have the cheek to try and install cracked software then send angry emails because they cant get it to work!

My favourite excuses are ‘A friend bought it for me’ or ‘my machine was wiped and I lost all my details’ ok no problem, please provide the email address you used to purchase, I’ll check my records and speak to flight1. Silence…….

Rob Prest

asking them to buy the product, and if not, name and shame

Exactly.

Moreover, if you know they are Avsim members, maybe let Tom know.

I am not sure he would like to have them as a part of our community.

Exactly.

Moreover, if you know they are Avsim members, maybe let Tom know.

I am not sure he would like to have them as a part of our community.

+1 These are the sort of w*****s that ruin it for everyone else, forcing small companies to close and in some cases making devs raise their prices.

If u cant afford it do what we all do.....SAVE UP FOR IT.

Chris Howard

Hey Bryan, I agree with everything the guys have said, in particular Rafal. Maybe give the guys who are remorseful and offered to pay a second chance, but for those arses who have blatantly ignored any of your emails, let Tom know and ensure they are banned from this forum. You may also like to bring their antics to the attention of other forum admins too. It's one thing holding one's head in shame when confronted with the victim of your cyber crime and offering to make amends, but for those who stick two fingers up, I'd say sod 'em and take all measures to make their lives miserable!

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

I am very cynical about those who hold their heads in shame when confronted with the victim of crime and offer to make amends after they've been found out.,