Sign in to follow this  
Richard McDonald Woods

Occasional drop in IAS to stickshaker in cruise

I am sure that I am not the only one to experience occasional, unexplained drops in IAS during cruise phase so significant as to cause the stickshaker to sound. I use B747-400X under Win7-64 and registered FSUIPC with ASX.

Has anyone a solution to this which I may have missed over the years? Is an upgrade to ASE going to fix this?

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Hi Kyle,

Yes, I have the FSUIPC settings as follows:

- Smooth wind changes near aircraft, checked, and 2 kts/degrees per sec and 0 secs per kt/degree

- Smooth only when airborne, checked

- Suppress these wind effects

- turbulence, checked

- gusts, checked

- variance, checked

My current flight, EGLL-VHHH, I am also getting a lot of overspeeds.

Any ideas?

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

I think it's because you've set it too low (though I could be wrong).

0 secs per kt/degree. That should be a little higher so that wind changes are smoothed. Right now, it's allowed to instantaneously change the wind speed. Bump that up to 2 secs and see what you get.

Kyle Rodgers

Try this in the WINDS Tab within FSUIPC....basically you are 'squeezing' the AS wind through FSUIPC 'aggresively' to slow the rate of speed & direction changes to more realistic levels.

As you know Richard until the NGX all I flew (& still really do) was/is the 744...these settings gave me trouble free flying for years.

WIND SMOOTHING - Tick in the Box

0 placed in the first box - & 6 or 8 in the second box.

""- Smooth only when airborne, checked"" - Up to you - I used to leave this unticked

""- Suppress these wind effects"" - Up to you - I used to leave this unticked

""- turbulence, checked"" - Up to you - I used to leave this unticked

""- gusts, checked"" - Up to you - I used to leave this unticked

""- variance, checked"" - Up to you - I used to leave this unticked

Credit for this solution goes to Dan Downs:

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/267082-747-and-vatsim-problem/page__p__1669398__hl__fsuipc%20wind%20smoothing#entry1669398

If you are using FSX do yourself a favour & upgrade to AS2012 - its a trully excellent product & with Direct Wind Control (DWC) enabled & you can disregard the above & untick all the boxes safe in the knowledge that the issue has been fianlly sorted out.

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Hi Steve,

Many thanks for your suggestions. I shall experiment with my next flight.

I have been thinking of upgrading from ASX to ASE. AS2012, as far as I can see, is little more than ASE + a load of graphics, which I already get with UTX.

Cheers, R

Cheers, Richard

Richard,

AS2012, as far as I can see, is little more than ASE + a load of graphics, which I already get with UTX.

The choice is as ever yours - AS2012 is a far more stable platform & some of the textures it provides can add a further piece of realism to FSX...in addtion to your UTX you'll get some very realistic cloud textures & arpt lighting textures...in the round I dont think you'd be disappointed.

Having flown around the FSX planet several times with AS2012 the incidence of flying into areas with 'duff' WX input has diminished to almost zero...gone too are the annoying vis/cloud/temp/pressure 'pops'.

In addition to the settings above (if using an AS product BEFORE 2012) check your version of FSUIPC for the option to aggressively squeeze temperature & pressure change - a factor of 6-8 works well for these too.

Steve

Steve Bell

"Wise men talk because they have something to say.  Fools talk because they have to say something." - Plato (latterly attributed to Saul Bellow)

The most useful tool on the AVSIM Fora ... 'Mark forum as read'

Kyle & Steve,

Thanks for your suggestions. I have made it 5 secs per kt/degree and all appears fine.

Cheers, R

Cheers, Richard