Sign in to follow this  
thaine

ARC modes (HSI vs CDI)?

Hei,

I have a question on one particular option in the EFD1000 menu. It's the ARC MODE. One can switch between HSI and CDI, but what is the difference? I'm searching already some time now for an answer to that question.

Another thing I experienced is that even if the HSI heading is off, the autopilot is still following the true heading instead of the heading given by the HSI. For example, if the HSI is off for some 5 degrees and I want the autopilot to fly on a heading of 75 deg, the autopilot will follow 75 deg but the HSI will show 80 deg. The heading bug will be on 75 degrees. Shouldn't it be that the autopilot follows the heading bug, no matter what?

Would be happy if somebody can answer this question.

Rafael

On the hdg bug thingy, try pressing D once. This should align any offset the instrument shows.

The part in the menu (CDI or HSI) lets you pick a different interpretation of the course display and the offset. The CDI setting gives you a pointer on the course setting, a TO or FROM text and some deviation scale on the lower part of the display. The HSI setting will be more traditional, so you see the TO and FROM as a symbol only and you don't get the scale display on the lower part, but a conventional 'needle layout'.

Both modes only affect the ARC mode, so you don't see any difference in the 360 degree mode.

Thanks for the answer.

I knew already the trick with pressing "D" for aligning the heading display. However, I hardly think that's how the real thing works. Could be maybe something for a future update. Basically it's not a big thing.

So the CDI/HSI setting is merely switching a "display" mode. But its not changing the general behaviour and logic of the instruments. Thanks for finally making that clear to me.

That D thing just corrects any offset due to the gyro drift. Strange thing is that, even if it is turned off in the FSX realism settings, it still seems necessary on some gauges. The A36 is one example, the JetProp'S G500 is another one and my Orbx Lancair also needs it. So I think we're looking at some FSX quirk or annoyance of some kind when using those gauges. Just guessing though.

Where are you flying your A36 by the way?

Where are you flying your A36 by the way?

I use it mostly for pleasure VFR and IFR/VATSIM training. Was doing some short flights from Oberpfaffenhofen (EDMO) to Innsbruck (LOWI) and back again. Or I start at Königsdorf, near Munich, and go for the austrian alps. And then there's the Angle of Attack GA flights and IFR challenges on digital themepark (t3.digitalthemepark.com). There we fly mostly in the Pacific Northwest and Northern Rocky Mountains; just the areas covered by ORBX scenery, since one gets a lot of nice eye candy and small airfields.

LOWI sounds like a great destination. I think I haven't brought in the A36 there so far. So I will plan for it.