NV released (lifted NDA) the next Kepler GPU today.

Like other X60 series cards it is just X80 with slower clocks (980 vs 1006) and a core disabled. But the card is smaller than others at 9.25 inches and has a TDP of only 170W.

Performance is near GTX 680 in games reviewed, less than 10% in most games, and it costs about $100.00 less. Like expected FSX was not included in any of the reviews. In non-FSX games the GTX 670 beat the GTX 580 and both of the AMD 79XX cards by a good margin.

GTX580 is currently listed at $430 on Newegg and the GTX 670 has an MSRP of $399.00. Hopefully it gives at or near 580 performance in FSX while using much less power and creating less heat. This appears to be great option for new rigs and those upgrading from less powerful fermi cards. But FSX is unique and hopefully someone gets their hands on one soon to see how it performs. No one knows if the 670 will be as slow to get out to the AIB 's and retailers as the 680 has been.

Here are links to reviews:

HardOCP:

http://hardocp.com/a...deo_card_review

Overclockers Club:

http://www.overclock.../nvidia_gtx670/

Anandtech:

http://www.anandtech...eview-feat-evga

Guru3D:

http://www.guru3d.co...gtx-670-review/

Legit:

http://www.legitrevi...article/1925/1/

Techspot:

http://www.techspot....eforce-gtx-670/

More can be found on HardOCP's review roundup:

http://www.hardocp.c..._review_roundup

Looks like the sweet spot card right now, though I still feel market prices are a bit high, and availability on Kepler is very low, took me over a week to find a 680 and the 670 isn't yet up for sale. My guess is they're just stock-piling to be able to sell all 3 cards simultaneously though. Availability should get much better very shortly if that's true.

FSX performance remains to be seen. I'll have my 680 in tonight for some testing.

Thanks for sharing! I wonder how these will perform in FSX vs the 580. It wouldn't surprise me if they run slower than the 580 and the 680.

Thanks for sharing! I wonder how these will perform in FSX vs the 580. It wouldn't surprise me if they run slower than the 580 and the 680.

Same here Ben, though outside of FSX it looks like the differences are very small. Some sites show them running neck-and-neck but the best roundup I saw showed an 11% average difference (for a $100 price difference).

Same here Ben, though outside of FSX it looks like the differences are very small. Some sites show them running neck-and-neck but the best roundup I saw showed an 11% average difference (for a $100 price difference).

Seems like it is an under-clocked, miniature 680. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if we see some custom PCB's that can OC this chip well beyond the 680.

Seems like it is an under-clocked, miniature 680. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if we see some custom PCB's that can OC this chip well beyond the 680.

Correct, it is simply a down-clocked 680 with less shaders. I have a feeling the 670 will be equal to the 580 and 680 in FSX.

The PCB was made smaller to accommodate SFF pc's and to be more energy efficient.

Here is NV's statement on the 7" PCB:

"To get the GeForce GTX 670 into smaller form factor chassis’, we made a number of adjustments to the reference board to save space. Thanks to the power efficiency of the GTX 670 GPU, we were able to move the GTX 670’s power supply to the west side of the GPU. The GPU was then rotated to improve power integrity and increase efficiency, as the power supply is much closer to the GPU than on traditional boards. With the GTX 670’s power circuitry moved to the other side of the board, the area on the right side of the PCB was empty and was therefore removed to save board space. To provide the cooling you’d expect on a high performance GPU, we then incorporated the same cooling fan used on the GeForce GTX 680. This fan is fitted with acoustic dampening material to minimize unwanted tones in the fan noise. The GTX 670’s blower fan exhausts hot air from the GPU outside the system chassis. This helps to reduce chassis temperature inside the PC, as GPU heat is blown outside the PC rather than being trapped within it. This feature is particularly beneficial for small form factor PCs."

Yeah i might switch my 580 to that 670 for more energy efficiency and less heat. I doubt we'll see any differences in FSX.

CASE: Louqe S1 MKIII CPU: AMD R5 7600X RAM: 32GB DDR5 5600 GPU: nVidia RTX 4070 · SSDs: Samsung 990 PRO 2TB M.2 PCIe · PNY XLR8 CS3040 2TB M.2 PCIe · VIDEO: LG-32GK650F QHD 32" 144Hz FREE/G-SYNC · MISC: Thrustmaster TCA Airbus Joystick + Throttle Quadrant · MSFS DX11 · Windows 11

Will grab one of these soon - nearly bought one today in fact - as it offers a significant boost over the older mid-range, such as I have... even though they are overpriced, as all the latest cards are. FSX is only a minor concern for me now, so I'm not bothered if this does not offer much, if any, gain over the last generation of high-end hardware... FSX is simply too old and creaky to influence my choice of hardware anymore; I'm more interested in current titles and engines to give a damn if I gain a frame or two in FSX... it's simply not worth the hassle.

Certainly a better buy over the 680 in price v performance terms.

Plus I'll be glad to ditch AMD which I have come to loath and detest... although FSX again runs okay for me.

Ordered one this one morning as soon as Newegg put them up for sale. Shipped this afternoon and should be here by Monday. I've been dying to replace my Radeon 5770 for the better part of a year now, and this card finally offers what I've been looking for.

I figure it'll be about on par with the GTX 580 in FSX (which is an old, CPU limited game), but it comfortably bests it in just about everything else.

I figure it'll be about on par with the GTX 580 in FSX

Might be slightly slower but who knows...

Might be slightly slower but who knows...

Could you tell us what you're basing those statements on?

I'd be really surprised if the GTX 670 is slower than the GTX 580. The GTX 670 has over twice the number of processing cores, the same memory bandwidth, 25% more video memory, and a texture fill rate over twice that of the GTX 580.

I'm not saying that these GTX 670 specs will actually make a big difference in FSX, but why would it perform worse than a 580?

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS

but why would it perform worse than a 580?

Who knows... FSX is a bizarre engine and it doesn't particularly like new hardware sometimes.

Could you tell us what you're basing those statements on?

I'd be really surprised if the GTX 670 is slower than the GTX 580. The GTX 670 has over twice the number of processing cores, the same memory bandwidth, 25% more video memory, and a texture fill rate over twice that of the GTX 580.

I'm not saying that these GTX 670 specs will actually make a big difference in FSX, but why would it perform worse than a 580?

32 ROPs vs 48 ROPs in the 480 & 580. ROPs are supposed to be there for crunching AA, and that's what I want in FSX, not so much for geometry.

<<expression removed by ADMIN - due to received complaint.>> *Please refrain from using questionable expressions/comments verging on the inappropriate*

Mind you I really have no idea if things work like that or not

Also even though it has twice the SP's a 580, the shader clock runs now at 1x the core clock, when the 500 series was 2x

I see that both people who replied to my comments have the GTX 580...

I understand the skepticism from folks who paid a lot of money for a GTX 580 video card and then found out that a newer card which costs the same or less offers much better performance. This may not necessarily be the case with FSX performance, but with other games it has already been demonstrated.

I'm still using an old GTX 285, but my next purchase will definitely be a GTX 670, not a 580.

Simulator: P3Dv5.4

System Specs: Intel i7 13700K CPU, MSI Mag Z790 Tomahawk Motherboard, 32GB DDR5 6000MHz RAM, Nvidia GeForce RTX 4070 Video Card, 3x 1TB Samsung 980 Pro M.2 2280 SSDs, Windows 11 Home OS