Sign in to follow this  
n4gix

VOR - Interactive Tutorial

Here is a terrific interactive tutorial on VOR, explaining how it works, and how to use it...

http://selair.selkirk.ca/Training/instrument-rating/IFR-simulations/How-VOR-works.html

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Probably due to my lack of experience, but do not see that exact set-up in the RV-6 or Maule.

Would it be a 'similar to' situation ?

Probably due to my lack of experience, but do not see that exact set-up in the RV-6 or Maule.

Would it be a 'similar to' situation ?

Both airplanes have this exact 'setup': the VOR 2 gauge on both planes is exactly like the VOR gauge you see in that tutorial. Check this tutorial where the VOR 2 is located:

http://forum.avsim.n...ents-maule-m-7/

The VOR 1 on the RV is similar but has another kind of deviation indicator: not one that swings at the top but one that has a left and right moving deviation bar. The VOR 1 in the Maule is implemented in the HSI.

BTW Nice find, but it's a bit limited in what it explains: it does show how it works but not as much how to use it. However, that site has a LOT of goodies, I noticed. Odd (and a pity) that I never heard of it before! :wink:

Somewhere on the web there's an even simpler (easier to grasp for someone brand new to the whole concept) interactive VOR tutorial. I'll see if I can find the link and share it when I get home.

J VAN E and all:

Thanks for the tips.

Printed out the tutorial and instrument panel pics of RV and Maule from J VAN E.

Somewhere on the web there's an even simpler (easier to grasp for someone brand new to the whole concept) interactive VOR tutorial. I'll see if I can find the link and share it when I get home.

"Simpler?" I wouldn't call it simpler, but it is more "complete" to a large degree. In effect, it is not any simpler than FSX or Flight itself. It is however quite a nice resource for closer study.

BTW Nice find, but it's a bit limited in what it explains: it does show how it works but not as much how to use it. However, that site has a LOT of goodies, I noticed. Odd (and a pity) that I never heard of it before! :wink:

"Limited" is precisely what it aims for! It is meant to explain the phased signal process, and how the phase difference relates to the "radials". Also, by moving/rotating the aircraft icon, you can see immediately the effects of position on the VOR head's compass card and needle, which effectively shows "how to use it..."

Could well be this one: http://www.luizmonte...ng_VOR_Sim.aspx

Thanks, I've added this link to yesterday's tutorial as well.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Well, I took your suggestions and found both the VOR aerocaches using NAV1 and 2, and now I am hooked to learn.

Gives me a new sense of purpose on MSF.

Just did the new Aerocache:

Kalohi-Pailolo Channels.

Asks for VOR radials.

Figured it out before I flew, using what I learned here, from cockpit.

Though it is relatively easy to find.

I used the posts/links here to set Navs and VOR.

Found it easy to figure out.

I've been flying yesterday and today using instrument panel, sometimes zooming in to block my view, so i could not see.

Though I had to use external cockpit to check myself.

Point is, I learned it here.

Last week, I would not have even considered it.

Thank You.