Sign in to follow this  
WILDHEART3003

Is FSX worth it?

My computer is a HP p7 pavillion with 6 gig mem and quad core amd cpu. Win7. No problems with FSX. On board sound and graphics AMD Radion. 1 T/B drive. Really pleased with it so far.

I've had great success (/Borat) with FSX for the past several years. The secret to FSX success is running a clean system (i.e. not an installation of Windows XP that's going on 4 years old or whatever) and NOT tweaking the hell out of FSX.cfg. For me, clean installs with nothing but Highmemfix=1 Widescreenviewaspect=True and Textureload=4096 are the only tweaks i ever make, and FSX crashes extremely rarely.

NickN's guide is just a guide with many recommendations. Following each one does not mean you're not going to get a whole lot of crashes. Every system is different.

Mine's not.

[/monty python]

Mmh yeah I guess that FSX with right tweaks and on non conflicting system indeed is pretty stable, but if you happen to have something that conflicts badly with FSX then it can be very unstable program to use. The difference with FSX and most of games is that as old program FSX tends to conflict with stuff more easily than lots of other programs that have been made for modern systems.

However like I said at least in my case only few basic tweaks, not pushing FSX to its limits and adding external frame limiter seemed to do the job.

My installation of FSX exceeds 70GB now, mostly airport and scenery/terrain enhancements (not photoreal, though. Not a fan of that), and add-on AI traffic via Ultiamte Traffic II, and tons of traffic from WOAI, UltimateGA, and Military AI Works. Flights are always conducted with Active Sky Evolution running in the background. FSX is run at full sliders, with some additional tweaks in the fsx.CFG.

I usually fly, almost exclusively, the RealAir Beech Duke B60, as I've virtually "taken personal ownership" of that aircraft. I've already done a Western Hemisphere flight over both North and South America in the aircraft. I also fly A2A's B377 and B-17 occasionally (with AccuSim) and plan on doing another long-distance or worldwide flight in one or the other.

I fly two to four times a week, and each flight takes two to three hours in the Beech, or 8-12 hours or more in the B377 and the B-17.

This is all on a medium range system:

> Intel i5 750 OC'd to 3.2GHz

> ATI 4770HD with 512MB vRAM

> 8GB system RAM

> Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit

Needless to say, the computer and FSX itself are working extremely hard while all this is going on, yet I very rarely experience a crash (computer or flying!). The last time my system crashed during an FSX was last year.

Yeah, I'd have to say that FSX is very much worth it indeed! :Peace:

My FSX has hit 148 GB, and is very stable. FSX is more stable than Itunes :)

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

This is all on a medium range system:

> Intel i5 750 OC'd to 3.2GHz

> ATI 4770HD with 512MB vRAM

> 8GB system RAM

> Windows 7 Home Edition 64bit

Needless to say, the computer and FSX itself are working extremely hard while all this is going on, yet I very rarely experience a crash (computer or flying!). The last time my system crashed during an FSX was last year.

Yeah, I'd have to say that FSX is very much worth it indeed! :Peace:

Wow, your system is lower spec than mine. Now I begin to wonder where it went wrong. Maybe is my hdd as is about 3 years old.

I know everyone is pointing towards Word Not Allowed guidance. But not everyone is rich as him :)

He has the best yoke and top of its range system. For ppl with a budget, perhaps we need to upgrade bit by bit slowly until it eliminate all the crashes in fsx.

I spent approx 6 hours every day practising my skill since I'm a student pilot.

:shok:

FSX is phenomenal. My Jetline Systems computer, I believe, is what makes this possible. I've been simming for many years with Dell, Gateway, and homebuilt systems. It wasn't until I talked to Greg and Ken at Jetline, that I made a decision to get a system to stop blurries, stop jerking, and flying a simulation like it was meant to be flown. I am simply a customer with no relationship to Jetline, but when I upgrade again, there will be no doubt as to the system that makes FSX really "worth it:.

Stan

If by a chance you are using REX 2.0 an using online weather update . Try this to get better FPS . Put the weather range 659nm on the rex option setting . This will avoid rex from updating the weather every minute . My FPS was droping a lot an i didn't know why. All my setting were good. But when i updated the range in weather. FSX is running amazing right now FPS going crazy all the way up to 50FPS inside the pmdg 737ngx VC. Hope this help if you are using rex online weather updates.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

If by a chance you are using REX 2.0 an using online weather update . Try this to get better FPS . Put the weather range 659nm on the rex option setting . This will avoid rex from updating the weather every minute . My FPS was droping a lot an i didn't know why. All my setting were good. But when i updated the range in weather. FSX is running amazing right now FPS going crazy all the way up to 50FPS inside the pmdg 737ngx VC. Hope this help if you are using rex online weather updates.

Thanks for the tip :smile:

"Nick's step by step installation guide"

For me atleased it messed up my FSX(slower,less FPS) & computer....I tried to restore Nick's guide & reinstalled fsx....still no luck...so I had to make a new OS installation & used my old Botje's tweeking tool http://www.venetubo.com/fsx.html . And everything was back to normal & OK. Wish I never tested Nick's guide, but hey you gotta learn the hard way.....I know people had good results with Nick's guide & I'm not trying to diss his work(on the contrary) but it was just not in symbiosis with my system.

Ok, just bought a WD HDD and new version of Pete D FSUIPC 4.827. Hope this time will eliminate all the problems. Btw, anyone has any information i.e. video link on how to set up Saitek Pro sytems?