Sign in to follow this  
jc2231

Minimum System Requirements

Hello,

I have a simple question...I hope. Please forgive me if this has been discussed already. The PMDG 737NGX minimum system requirements are as follows:

Processor: Intel Core i5 or i7 (Sandy Bridge core) or better

RAM: 4GB+

Video Card: Nvidia GTX560 Ti, 570 or 580 with 1GB+ of video memory or better

My system:

Processor: i7 950 Bloomfield

RAM: 4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GTX465

For the most part the NGX does ok on my system, however I am looking for more frames as FSX really slows (down to about 12 FPS) with high detailed add-ons and a fair amount of air traffic. I initally thought upgrading my card would provide performance improvement, however, because FSX is a CPU intensive game will a GTX580 or even a 680 really help? Am I better off upgrading my CPU to a Sandy Bridge? I can buy a new mobo and CPU for less than I can buy a GTX 580 or 680 and a new power supply.

With regard to the minimum requirements, what are the noticeable differences betwee a GTX500 vs. a GTX400?

Thanks,

James

I am fairly certain those are not minimal, but recommended system requirements.

Anyway, make sure to run all optimalisations as described in introduction manual.

And lastly, while FS9 was heavily CPU dependent, FSX is much less so and effect on videocard should be seen.

As posted above, those are indeed the recommended specs. The ngx can run on as little as a c2d, 32-bit windows & 4gb ram.

Video card won't help you. It would allow higher aa settings, but very little improvement in terms of fps. The single biggest improvement you can make (providing this isn't a prebuilt pc like dell or hp, who lock the bios) is to install a quality CPU cooler and overclock the CPU. You should be able to easily oc your 9xx CPU to 4ghz without risking hardware damage. Just be sure to follow a guide specific to Bloomfield cpu's and your motherboard manufacturer.

NOTE: If you do decide to overclock (your CPU was built to hadle it!) be sure to disable hyperthreading in the bios. It does nothing for fsx & makes the CPU run hotter. Disabling it will allow slightly cooler temperatures, which may let you get a higher stable speed.

I have never even attempted an overclock and I have no knowledge on how to do this. Is this something I can do or should I leave it to the experts? I am intrigued by this because I know my CPU is not obsolete yet.

It's easy, just google a few oc guides for your motherboard

The only requirements are patience and the ability to ask questions before guessing on something. The stress testing is time consuming but necessary, so patience is key. There will be times that you need to be able to let the computer do it's thing for a while without even browsing the web on it.

As far as technical ability is concerned properly seating a cooler the first time can be a challenge. You can't let it rock or wobble until the fasteners are snugged up or it won't have good contact.

I have never even attempted an overclock and I have no knowledge on how to do this. Is this something I can do or should I leave it to the experts? I am intrigued by this because I know my CPU is not obsolete yet.

James, I have overcloacked my i7 930 (see my sig) but had to invest in a good cooler and case. It's my first time and has taken quite a while but I'm quite pleased with the results now. If you like, PM me and I'll send you my BIOS settings. If you have a similar Gigabyte MB then there is something you need to know regarding the uncore frequency - tooks me ages before I found the answer...on google.

White Knuckle - thanks for your post. What did you use for a cooler? Would you say our systems are similar enough for me to use your BIOS? Did you use a guide to do the overclocking or was it more trial and error? My system is as follows:

i7-950 Bloomfield 3.06 GHz

ASUS Sabertooth X58 6GB ATX Intel Motherboard

Corsair XMS DDR3 6BG 1333 (3X2GB)

EVGA GTX465 (Fermi) Superclocked 1GB Video Card

LIAN ATX Mid Tower Case

Don't just put somebody else's oc settings in your bios. It will probably work fine but you don't know what your CPU is capable of doing yet. Better to work it up in steps.

Ken is right and we have different boards. Try googling for your mb and CPU. I bought a Corsair H80 which was expensive at $140 but you get what you pay for I guess. I stuffed up the installation first time around and didn't get good contact. It's worth getting 2 or 3 guides and doing a bit of research before you start. I've been a bit lazy with the torture tests but I ran it for 90 minutes with max temp around 78c with HT off. Having HT on raises the temps a bit. My vcore is 1.3v, qpi/vtt 1.275, CPU PLL 1.88, DRAM 1.5v. Uncore is 3400MHz with clock ratio set x17 which I had set at x16 but couldn't pass memtest. One guide claims this is a quirk of the gigabyte mb and seemed to work for me - so check a few guides. BLCK is 200 and CPU ratio x21. Hope this helps.