Sign in to follow this  
WebMaximus

Antec Kuhler H2O 620 - good enough for 5 GHz...?

I'm thinking about getting a 2700K with the goal to run it @ 5 GHz and have been thinking about a good cooler that will let me reach this speed but still with safe temps and found the Antec Kuhler H2O 620 interesting.

Anyone have this cooler and can tell me how good it performs?

Thanks in advance!

Richard Åsberg

I have the Antec 620 on my 2500k and love it. Stays in the low 60's during IBT and Prime at 4.7 ghz. Mine is setup in the intake config. I cannot hear the 620's fan over the other 3 case fans.

I have used the H50 and personally prefer the 620. The tubing on the 620 is better to work with and the only con I had was the initial install. Youtube videos greatly help with the install.

The 620 does not have a fan control so if that is important look at the 920 or Corsairs with fan controls. If it is not important the 620 gives a huge bang for the buck.

Thanks!

Just read a review of the 920 where they mentioned the software that comes with that model and it sounded like a nice way to both monitor and adjust the operation of the cooler so I think I'll go with a 920 now that I know it will be able to keep the CPU within good temps at high speeds.

Richard Åsberg

I think that is an excellent choice. I have seen in signatures of editors at HardOCP, Legit and OCC that they all use 920's on their personal rigs.

Eventually I plan on swapping to the 920 and placing the 620 on my GTX 680.

isn't voltage usually the limiting factor in overclocking? I have an H100 and am running a 2700k at 4.8Ghz at low temps. If it wasn't for the voltage I could go to 5Ghz no problem I think.

isn't voltage usually the limiting factor in overclocking? I have an H100 and am running a 2700k at 4.8Ghz at low temps. If it wasn't for the voltage I could go to 5Ghz no problem I think.

Volts and temp. Volts give your OC stability but create more heat. Too much of either can fry the chip.

Using an appropriate cooling solution can allow you to push more volts through the chip. Look at liquid nitrogen OC's. Some of those have volts around 1.6 and higher.

my bad, I just checked and I'm at vcore 1.4 and max temps of 75 running prime95. It's been a while since I looked at it. I wouldn't be able to get higher than 4.8ghz and should probably lower it to 4.7ghz

my bad, I just checked and I'm at vcore 1.4 and max temps of 75 running prime95. It's been a while since I looked at it. I wouldn't be able to get higher than 4.8ghz and should probably lower it to 4.7ghz

75 seems high with the H100. Plus your volts seem a little high as well.

Ben is your best bet for help with your chip and H100. He is running a high OC with lower volts.

I would recommend getting in touch with him.

I think that is an excellent choice. I have seen in signatures of editors at HardOCP, Legit and OCC that they all use 920's on their personal rigs.

Eventually I plan on swapping to the 920 and placing the 620 on my GTX 680.

Thanks for your input John, sounds promising!

I do hope I'll be able to reach higher than 4.7 with a 2700k and this cooler since I'm already running my current i7-920 @ 4.1 and will be spending a fair amount of $ on this new planned system of mine.

Richard Åsberg