Sign in to follow this  
hamish7777

2nd Graphics Card Help with Extending Desktop for CDU NGX

Hi Guys

I have picked up a new FlightDeck Solutions Pro MX CDU to work with the PMDG NGX

http://www.flightdecksolutions.com/prod_info.php?id=712

I am running Win 7 FSX on a 3 monitor setup 3840 x 1024 with a Triple Head 2 Go with a GTX 570.

The Pro MX CDU works as an extra screen 800 x 600. I have purchased another Nvidia 260 card to run it as I dont want to use the resources of my main card.

My question is after researching threads, I know that I can extend my desktop and basically drag the CDU from the PMDG plane over but do I have to remain in Windowed mode. This would be a shame as I really like using the Adaptive Sync 1/2 Refresh rate that has made FSX really smooth for me. It does not work in windowed mode so it would be a shame to lose this function. I am happy to look at all options (Wide FS)+ laptop running the CDU etc so any ideas would be helpful at this stage.

I posted in the Flight Deck forum but most guys there are not using the CDU in a 'desktop' environment.

Hope you can help

Hamish.

You are relegated to running FSX in windowed mode. WideFS won't help. Generally speaking you have gear that is aimed for people who are building a higher end Sim setup running cockpit suite software. There was a guy who did and was able to network the Pmdg CDU via web access, but he got shutdown and Im not sure what limitations PMDG has in place as I Have not seen anyone else pursue it.

hi Hamish,

Yes! you can run the FDS CDU in fullscreen mode, No, you don't have to be in windowed mode. you can undock and drag views to other monitors in full screen mode with FSX.

After installing software etc, set the resolution of the CDU monitor to 800x600, simply undock and drag the screen to the CDU monitor, now, it will likely appear in windowed mode, ie, you will see the buttons and borders on screen. The trick is to locate the .ini file for the cdu software, and change the setting;

[uSER]

FULL_SCREEN=1 (from the default ie =0)

WINDOW_LEFT=1025

WINDOW_TOP=0

WINDOW_WIDTH=800

WINDOW_HEIGHT=600

WINDOW_ROTATE=0

ROTATE_X=0

ROTATE_Y=0

Note; The 1025 is a positioning number and can be changed.

The default is =0.(windowed mode). this will put the cdu in full screen mode. before doing this it's neccessary to make small adjustments regarding it's positioning.

Lots of help in setting this up on the FDS forum.

http://www.flightdec...opic.php?t=4602

http://www.flightdec...opic.php?t=4614

Ron.

Let me know how it goes as I have heard that Single Display FSX installs were able to do as what was written above, but those with ie 3 screensetups it would not work.

Hi ohsirus,

any reason why you think it won't work on 3 screen TH2GO?, most of the guys with Flight deck solutions gear are running 3 screens. ( or more )

I have TH2go with GTX 570 and run CDU (in fullscreen) from second DVI output with no problems.

You are correct that you will need the FDS software to enable it's full function, but then, why would anybody buy such an expensive piece of hardware and not get the software to enable the buttons?

The FlightDeckSolutions CDU is a fully functioning mechanical unit with buttons and lighting, maybe you are thinking it's the PMDG one ( on screen ) just dragged to another monitor, where you use the mouse to activate the buttons, in which case you may be right.

regards,

Ron.

Ronski, are you saying that you are running FSX in FullScreen Mode on a TH2go and also running The CDU Gauge, undocked, and in fullscreen mode on your free DVI output?

Yes,

but you must edit the cfg.ini file of the Sim-A software which I have, as outlined above. otherwise the borders and buttons show on screen, To remove those things and use the buttons on the unit, it has to be in fullscreen.

Remember, that in FS9, you had to be in windowed mode to undock and move views to other monitors.

But FSX allows to do it in fullscreen mode. Yes, the CDU appears on the screen in windowed mode, but can then be changed.

The FDS CDU in the picture is in full screen mode.

check the FDS links given.??

Ron.

Ron + Vincent

Thank you both for your replies. I will be hopefully receiving the CDU this afternoon so will be playing with it later. Thank you for this info, I did post in the FDS forum and a very nice gentleman did reply but said I was stuck with 'windowed' mode so I thought I would post here.

I will check the links and I know that I have to download the software so will keep you updated...

Many Thanks

Hamish

Ron, one question are you thinking that you would be using the Sim A software as the CDU is plug + play with the NGX as they released their sdk unless I am terribly mistaken. I hope I dont have to purchase the Sim A software as its more than the hardware!

PS Its just arrived so I am going to find out....

Hamish

Im still confused myself, as hiding the borders and buttons is not true full screen, if thats what Ron is talking about. I beleive Ron is running Sim Avionics graphics suite which is different from dragging the in game CDU gauge to a video output.

So I managed to get it running with the help of Peter Cos at Flight Deck Solutions. Yes you can run FSX full screen but you have to adjust the panel.cfg in the PMDG NGX folder and you have to resize the CDU. I am still tweaking but it works very well. The PRO MX CDU is a serious piece of kit amazing... and fantastic that PMDG released the SDK to make this possible..

Hamish.

Hi Hamish,

Glad you got it working, slightly different process depending on software, a small modification to the file is all it takes as I said in my first reply.

the trick is to locate the cfg.ini file for the cdu software, and change the setting

Peter would not have released this unless it was possible.

Ron.

Thanks Ron. Indeed you were right all along.

All good, I have a slight issue with the brightness button on the unit which I am sure will be sorted but yes a really good piece of kit....

Thanks for your help.

Hamish

I'm still amazed it worked, so the cu screen is it an external gauge driven by Sim- A ? or the cdu popoup from fsx?

Its a cdu pop up from FSX... I know I was amazed as well as I had read that you usually have to run in a 'windowed mode. At the moment I am still having to re size the display each time on the CDU but I am still tweaking etc...

Hamish