Sign in to follow this  
schwapm

Lines in the sky

I did a quick test yesterday, trying the night flight, and I wasn't able to see such effects, I looked at my monitor in the dark room from different angles.

I see the vertical lines toward the black segment

It's your monitor then, nothing is wrong with anything at the software level. The only "fix" for this is a new monitor and one that doesn't use a TN panel.

WEll that is unfortunate that it may be the monitor...thought it was pretty good =(

Does this occur at desktop level or only in game?

Do you have V-SYNC enabled/disabled?

Might want to get a monitor calibration program and see if that could help.

Randall

I have this issue aswell. Started to happen after buying a new monitor ... I agree with those who say it is a monitor issue NOT software!

Cheers from Panama!

PANDA

I have this issue aswell. Started to happen after buying a new monitor ... I agree with those who say it is a monitor issue NOT software!

Cheers from Panama!

PANDA

It could be a monitor setting depending on your settings and calibration, however I dont think that is the cause of the lines in the screen shot.

Here's why. I fired up FSX and once in a flight I turned my monitor setting to gray scale to make it essentially black and white, then pressed the "V" key to capture a screen shot. I then exited FSX and checked the screen shot and it was in regular color not reflecting what was actually seen on the screen.

So, in essence, if taking screen shots doesn't actually reflect what is seen on the screen but what is actually being produced by the video card, then adjusting the monitor will only mask the color banding but a screen shot would still render the banding since that it what is actually being produced by the GPU and software.

I think the only way to actually fine tune out the color banding in the sky would be to actually tune the colors/settings in the GPU control panel, otherwise just doing in on the monitor would still represent the same banding in a screen shot since that is what the GPU is actually rendering.

Although if you use an external program to tune the screen colors like the nVidia control panel or even ENB, it will tell the GPU what to render since having ENB enabled shows up in screen shots.

Through the years I have noticed a bit of banding myself even though I have set everything to 32bit, but have been able to reduce the banding effect by experimenting with different day/sunset sky sets that seems to blend better during the transitions in lightness, as well as using different ENB settings that can mask it as well.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator