Sign in to follow this  
kerosene31

Searching for the dark night

...and I am not referring to Batman!

I recently reinstalled FSX after a long break and am back flying. I have GEX, FEX and UTX running.

At night, the sim is very bright. The sky still has a blue color and the green on the ground is still easily visible from lower altitudes. I searched the forums and tried the enb mod which was suggested. That helped a bit, but there's still too much color in the sky.

Are there any other ways to improve the night in FSX? I want a dark sky and dark ground. (other than turning down the brightness on my monitor). Night time looked great in fs9.

-------------------------

Craig from KBUF

ENB is a good start. I'd stick to that one and pick different settings. Take the REX Natural mod for example. Gives you a very dark night.

Be aware that you may end up in a tradeoff situation. Means that the darkness gained at night affects the image impression the day time gives you. But trying comes for free. :smile:

Yes, that was my problem with ENB. My daytime looks perfect as-is. ENB made my daytime too bright. Back in fs9 there were always specific night enhancement textures. It doesn't seem like there are many (any?) for FSX.

Craig from KBUF

Might want to give the night lighting effect that Ultimate Terrain has a try. It makes the contrast between ground lights and the sky very much more convincing, although you do need bloom on to see the effect, so it does eat a few frames per second.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

It makes the contrast between ground lights and the sky very much more convincing, although you do need bloom on to see the effect, so it does eat a few frames per second.

Would you be willing to upload a comparison shot with and without UT?

The "beauty" of ENB is that settings can be customized to give you the effect you want.

Experiment with the values under "color correction" and "bloom".

Customization information can be found here:

http://enbdev.com/old_doc_en.htm

Yes, that was my problem with ENB. My daytime looks perfect as-is. ENB made my daytime too bright.

I think that's a matter of the actual settings in use. There is no standard ENB mod, so while every mod based on those files may be called 'ENB mod', the settings give them a totally different impression.

Well, if it's just about a dark night while the default day time in FSX is ok, maybe consider the dark ENB mod mentioned and turn it off at day time. That can happen on the fly, literally. Always a bit of a tradeoff in FSX. X Plane nights are the way to go in my eyes.

I just noticed that AS2012 has night textures. Anyone try those? I was looking to upgrade my ASE anyway, so maybe I'll try those.

My issue seems more of a texture one more than a lighting one.

Craig from KBUF

Would you be willing to upload a comparison shot with and without UT?

No. Oh alright then, fear my awesome comparitive screenshot abilities...

UT night lighting with FSX bloom on:

1-33.jpg

UT night lighting with FSX bloom off:

2-31.jpg

FSX default night lighting:

3-27.jpg

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here