Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

The HILO BAY and WindFarm syndrome...

With less than 12 hrs flown in FLIGHT :-( and no more tha 112000 points I am yet to start my Missions, get a few more achievements, etc...

The hardest part are those Hilo Bay and Windfarm challenges... I can't finish on time, I crash everywhere :-(((((( OMG!

Usually after "finishing" a round on Hilo or Windfarm, I start ELITE and perform a down to minima ILS approach in order not to feel so bad ....

I remember things were a lot easier in Acceleration, on that RedBull exhibition... Well, it's probably because I really am getting old ....

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Usually after "finishing" a round on Hilo or Windfarm, I start ELITE and perform a down to minima ILS approach in order not to feel so bad ....

LOL

What plane do you use? I did the first two with the Icon.

After not finishing in time (only had to do one more gold thing) for the second one, I simply stopped doing them already. I play this game for fun, not to get annoyed. :wink: I don't want to do things I don't want to do, really, simple as that, and chasing golden things with a time limit is one of them. :wink:

I used the Icon only for the coin collecting - the first two I finished in time, the last one I have not been able to finish in time as of yet.

I think they are fun for a diversion every now and then.

My first few tries, I would crash after getting only 1 or 2 coins so I was so proud of myself when I collected all of 7 coins without crashing before the timer elapsed! Now if I could only get the 18 other coins.... lol! These are definitiely difficult for me! ^_^

HeLLo

Ah, I'm not the only one :Straight Face: . I like to fly the RV6 for these "challenges".

@@++

I just gave the Windfarm one another try (I noticed I already have gold on Hilo), just to see how it was again. The horror. How annyoing to constantly see that timer while you try to turn as hard as you can without crashing. Yikes. I tried it three times and failed everytime, getting more and more annoyed... LOL I'm back to regular flying again. :wink:

Hi guys.

Those challenges are quite fun for me, although I have crashed plenty and my Pilot Ego is somewhat damaged.

The only advice I can give is: Don't look at the timer, focus on setting paths (stick to them) and getting as many stars as possible on each run. If a star is close by, but not on your path, leave it and then get it on another fly-by or adjust your path.

While you practice, Paul suggested setting graphic to Low, thus reducing the amount of trees and probably some other objects. Then once you establish a path and get the gold you can do them again with High/Max settings and no aircraft assistances.

I use a joystick and pedals so for me airplanes are easier to control than when using the mouse.

-----

Filooo, Using the RV-6A is fun, but it is quite fast and tends to stall quickly on tight turns.

----

I was editing this post while Oracle posted. He makes a great point. Keep tight turns to a minimum; also spend as little time as possible flying to the next batch of stars, this is very important specially on the Ford Island challenge.

I think you should try and change your route if you are making really hard turns that are causing you to have control issues.

Try to make as few turns as possible and keep them as gentle as possible to keep your speed up. Where you do have to turn, try to maneuver a little into the vertical to reduce the turn radius and adjust throttle as you come down to keep excess airspeed in check.

I tried them a few times early on, but never got close to finishing, and, honestly, didn't enjoy them. I agree they really fell into the category of "annoying" for me. So I just stopped trying.

Landing challenges, on the other hand...

The only advice I can give is: Don't look at the timer, focus on setting paths (stick to them) and getting as many stars as possible on each run. If

+1 !

When I forced myself to stop looking at the timer, completely, I started doing much better!

Again I enjoy them on occasion for a diversion, I certainly would not want to fly them every day or anything that.

Hi Folks

From Hard-Core Simmer through to Casual Gamer,

no matter what you believe yourself to be,

everyone of you

will benefit from flying the Gold Rush Challenges.

Persist with them

and they'll substantially improve your aircraft handling skills.

Anyone claiming otherwise,

who hasn't already achieved Gold on all 3 GRCs,

is just B/S'ing, and only kidding themselves. :smile:

While you practice,

Paul suggested setting graphic to Low,

thus reducing the amount of trees and probably some other objects.

Then once you establish a path and get the gold

you can do them again with High/Max settings

and no aircraft assistances.

Just to clarify - :smile:

That's not what I'd been recommending -

- The posts were nothing to do with practising.

- Gameplay - Flight Control Assistance provides ZERO benefit for GRCs, (they cause mushy FDEs).

The rules for the Gold Rush Challenge - Record Attempts are -

To ensure everyone's singing on the same hymn-sheet,

all Gold Rush Challenges were flown with -

- Aircraft - Icon A5, (from VC)

- Graphics Settings - Low

- Weather - Clear Skies, (excepting Windfarm, which uses a preset theme)

Those rules were proposed

to ensure everyone could participate,

and compete on a fair and equal basis.

e.g.

Laptops & low-end PC's on GRAPHICS MAX settings

are incapable of providing a fluid controllable flying experience.

The Gold Rush Challenge courses

when flown with GRAPHICS on high/max settings

contain very few impeding additional trees and scenery objects.

Anyone who believes they've impacted their record times,

should minimize all their settings,

then refly,

and re-submit their new & improved record times. Big%20Grin.gif

HTH

ATB

Paul