Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Hammerheads....

The Hammerhead is a very interesting maneuver, specially if correctly flown.

My RL experience with it is limited to gliders, but there shouldn't be a huge difference when performing it on a light prop/jet, yet I am finding it a little too difficult in the RV6 (?)

Although I have already understood that irrespective of using power at the top or not, ailleron input is a MUST in the Van's, apparently even full ailleron dflection is not enough...

L.Adamson, what can you say here :-) ? Teach me please!!!!!!!

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I believe aileron input is a must in all aircraft. With the rate of yaw, the plane will roll into the turn.

The vans is a little more difficult to do a hammerhead with. I found that you really need to nail the speed, kick the rudder and give a good blip of power all the same time to start the rotation at the top.

If you wait till it is too slow, you're going to skid down sideways.

If you wait till it is too slow, you're going to skid down sideways.

Yep, that is true because you lose rudder authority, and that's why in a glider we start it way before reaching the top... Anyway, even with that burst of power, that at the same time adds a roll moment due to torque, I find that even full ailleron deflection is not enough... I'll keep trying :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

I'll try it tonight and check my speed carefully using the HUD. I am usually locked with the view to the side as I begin the pivot.

L.Adamson, what can you say here :-) ? Teach me please!!!!!!!

Can't help. Never done hammerheads in an RV.

I can very rarely get something resembling a hammerhead to the left. Most of the time I will spin.

I can very consistently produce decent hammerheads to the right if I kick the rudder as the AI crosses 65KIAS and bring the power to about 40-50% as the nose gets level with the horizon and continue bringing it towards idle from that point to nose down. The nose refuses to point straight down which makes completing the manuever difficult.