Sign in to follow this  
GGLurch

Area 51 bargain

Good spot!

Anyone got an opinion on the C17? My understanding is that the Virtavia is the one to get - but for $9...

Good spot!

Anyone got an opinion on the C17? My understanding is that the Virtavia is the one to get - but for $9...

Same here, which is why I baulked at getting first time when it went on sale. I hear the trick is to marry the VC of the Virtavia to this one. But that means shelling out twice for the same aircraft.........e'r....mm.

Same here, which is why I baulked at getting first time when it went on sale. I hear the trick is to marry the VC of the Virtavia to this one. But that means shelling out twice for the same aircraft.........e'r....mm.

Hmm indeed!

Think I will take a pass this time then. If the desire for C-17 becomes too much, I would rather pay more and buy once.

Good spot!

I bought it and am quite disappointed they provide nothing, absolutely nothing, in the way of speeds, takeoff or landing configurations, etc. When I asked why, the dumb answer was 'we think it may be classified so we don't provide that type of information.' Boy, what a copout. Never again at any price.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I bought it and am quite disappointed they provide nothing, absolutely nothing, in the way of speeds, takeoff or landing configurations, etc. When I asked why, the dumb answer was 'we think it may be classified so we don't provide that type of information.' Boy, what a copout. Never again at any price.

Ray

Glad I decided to take a pass then!

Cheers Ray.

Jeeze you guys are a tough crowd, and Ray mate not sure how you can be so dissapointed when we're only talking $9.95 here, really its pretty good for what you get. Theres NO WAY your gonna get anything neat this quality freeware and $10 is pretty close to free if you ask me.

The external model really is lovely and the VC is pretty nice, sure there a are a lot of panel elements that arent active, but you can soup it up with the FMC/CDU/PFD package from ISG. Although I dont own the Virtavia C17 it sounds like its the pick of the two, but if like me your not a hard-core millitary flyer and just love the look of the C17 then I would definately reccomend the A51 model at this price.

For the ISG stuff see following:

http://www.isgsim.com/?page=panel_library⊂=retro_area51_c17

Dean Stringer

Jeeze you guys are a tough crowd,

I think it is a reflection of just how how good the cream of FSX add-ons are these days.

With outfits like PMDG, A2A, RealAir, Carenado, Aerosoft, Baytower et al raising the bar and spoiling us with every new release, those add-ons that are merely "decent" tend to look a little shabby in comparison.

When even one-man outfits like Ants Aeroplanes are pumping out planes of exceptional quality, just being "Ok" isn't enough to make me reach for my wallet any more - even to the tune of 10 bucks!

just being "Ok" isn't enough to make me reach for my wallet any more - even to the tune of 10 bucks!

Likewise, I echo your thoughts too. That $10 tempting as it is, will go towards paying $30 for a quality add-on.

Some of their choppers are not bad, I have their MH-47G Chinook, UH-1Y Venom and OH-58D Kiowa Warrior, and I would say they're all well worth a tenner, since I paid full price for them and was reasonably happy with doing so. No great shakes where flight modeling is concerned, and fairly light on systems too, but if you want something which at least looks right, then the modeling is pretty good.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Jeeze you guys are a tough crowd, and Ray mate not sure how you can be so dissapointed when we're only talking $9.95 here, really its pretty good for what you get. Theres NO WAY your gonna get anything neat this quality freeware and $10 is pretty close to free if you ask me.

Another way to look at is, I no longer have it installed as it is basically useless to me if I don't know any of the speeds or configurations. I seldom just look at any external model for the heck of it. Now if I had my $10 bucks back and I looked at it as a credit, then a typical $34 good addon would now be $24 and that just sounds more reasonable to me. OK.

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Now if I had my $10 bucks back and I looked at it as a credit, then a typical $34 good addon would now be $24 and that just sounds more reasonable to me. OK.

Precisely the point that I was trying to make earlier. Glad to note somebody else see it the same way too.