Sign in to follow this  
Heimi

Cockpits too dark?

Never saw this mentioned anywhere.

For me all the cockpits are too dark. I need to turn on panel lighting to see the indications clearly.

Except when the sun hits the panel from behind.

And yes, my LED screen is bright enough ;)

Anyone else ?

That's about what I see, too. I keep the panel lighting close to full-bright all day.

Same here. And it's noticeably darker looking at the surrounding area from inside the cockpit vs outside.

I also have the lights on all day. It doesn't bother me too much but it is a bit odd indeed.

Also agree. And I think that this problem with shading has been present in previous versions as well. Even at high noon, when everything should be brightly lit, objects are often shaded just a little too much.

Best regards.

Luis

RoboRay mentioned on the Steam forum that it looks like you're wearing sunglasses in the cockpit. I originally thought it only affected the view out the window, but it's likely that it also affects the instrument panel. That might explain the darkness.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

Well, on the plus side at least we CAN mitigate the overly dark cockpit/instrument panel with the lights now, unlike FS9/FSX where we had to add overhead .fx "lights" to see well enough to read the instrument faces! :Thinking:

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

I also leave the lights on all day. It is very difficault to read the instrument faces in the Maule without the lights on. Not so bad with the RV for some reason. Makes all the difference in the world. I do hate having to look at the HUD, It ain't natural!

Just wondering, have of any of you tried calibrating your monitors?

To me, this seems more like a contrast issue than a brightness issue.

On my LCD, I have noticed it can be dark; but mine is no where near as dark as that. LED monitors are known for their saturated colors...I would definitely try messing around with the contrast. Won't be perfect but it should look a little nicer than that.

What I find really odd with the cockpit light example is that some of the trees even illuminate when the lights are on.

What I find really odd with the cockpit light example is that some of the trees even illuminate when the lights are on.

If you check the cockpit switches, the landing lights are turned on between those two shots. That accounts for the illuminated trees.

Just wondering, have of any of you tried calibrating your monitors?

All of us have. If that screen shot looks dark to you, then is your monitor calibrated? Because screen shots are NOT photographs of the monitor, but the actual display on the screen at the time. Some conditions have darker cockpits than others.

Hook

Larry Hookins

Oh! I have slipped the surly bonds of Earth
And danced the skies on laughter-silvered wings;

If you check the cockpit switches, the landing lights are turned on between those two shots. That accounts for the illuminated trees.

All of us have. If that screen shot looks dark to you, then is your monitor calibrated? Because screen shots are NOT photographs of the monitor, but the actual display on the screen at the time. Some conditions have darker cockpits than others.

Hook

Correct....I know that. What I said is still valid; try calibrating the monitor if it seems to dark. I don't have the issue on my plasma downstairs....but my LCD exhibits it (doesn't display the true colors, blacks aren't accurate at all). Luckily my monitor has custom presets that I can save; I've made a MS flight preset that I switch to whenever I boot up the game.

Which is really cool btw! :wink: