Sign in to follow this  
molleh

Commercial airliner recommendations

I've been thinking about adding another plane to my virtual hangar. I really want to get another jet airliner to add to my PMDG MD-11. First thing to say is I don't want to get the PMDG NGX. The reason being (and this may sound crazy) is that I don't want to get something so good that any other addon feels less enjoyable after getting used to it. I'll get it eventually, I just don't want to jump to the ultimate best addon yet :)

Anyway, I have a few thoughts, maybe you can guide me better:

1. Captain Sim aircraft, maybe 767. I'm kind of iffy though, I've read a lot of conflicting reviews of CS addons.

2. QualityWings 757. Good reviews but it has simplified systems, which I'm kind of put off by.

3. Level D 767 - great reviews and supposedly good systems modelling but VERY dated graphics

4. Leonardo Maddog 2010 - great reviews, complex systems, dated graphics and I've heard reports of bugs and non-existent customer support

5. CLS MD80 - good reviews, mid-level systems complexity, good graphics

6. FeelThere ejects v2 - unknown

Really my #1 concern is a good, useable virtual cockpit that has full functionality when compared with the 2D cockpit. System complexity is important too but it doesn't have to be extreme, that's why I am considering the QW 757. External visuals are a distant third place for me.

Thanks for any tips you might have :)

Your reasoning on not getting the NGX is kinda confusing to me but whatever. I'd go with the Captain Sim 767. That will make all your other addons be alot more enjoyable.

Matt Wilson

Your reasoning on not getting the NGX is kinda confusing to me but whatever. I'd go with the Captain Sim 767. That will make all your other addons be alot more enjoyable.

:LMAO:

lol, my theory is this. It's like buying a Chevy Malibu and a Lamborghini Aventador. Sure the Malibu is a nice enough car, but if you also own the Aventador it's probably not going to get driven very much. :P

LevelD 767 is what I'm enjoying as my newest addition. Mind you, I already have the PMDG MD11, PMDG NGX, the QW 757, and the FeelThere E-Jets and ERJ v2. Still, despite the dated graphics, I really like the LVLD 767 systems fidelity, sounds, and feel...I'll be spending time with this one in addition to the others listed.

Alternatively, if you're leery of NGX spoilage, buy the iFly 737...the free Feature Pack is due any day and it flies nicely.

Wayne Klockner
United Virtual

BetaTeamB.png

:LMAO:

lol, my theory is this. It's like buying a Chevy Malibu and a Lamborghini Aventador. Sure the Malibu is a nice enough car, but if you also own the Aventador it's probably not going to get driven very much. :P

I guess I can see your point. But still the NGX is the best of the best, and flying her is a wonderfull experience that shouldnt be missed.

Matt Wilson

LevelD 767 is what I'm enjoying as my newest addition. Mind you, I already have the PMDG MD11, PMDG NGX, the QW 757, and the FeelThere E-Jets and ERJ v2. Still, despite the dated graphics, I really like the LVLD 767 systems fidelity, sounds, and feel...I'll be spending time with this one in addition to the others listed.

Alternatively, if you're leery of NGX spoilage, buy the iFly 737...the free Feature Pack is due any day and it flies nicely.

Thanks for your input. I just watched this Youtube video of the Level D and I think I'm sold:

I guess I can see your point. But still the NGX is the best of the best, and flying her is a wonderfull experience that shouldnt be missed.

I'm sure it is, and if you noticed I said I WILL be getting the NGX, just not right at this moment :)

If not the NGX I second the level d bird.

Matt Wilson

Just get the levelD 767 with the VC texture update...

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Just get the levelD 767 with the VC texture update...

Ooo, this sounds nice! Where can that be found?

Besides the NGX, my favorites are:

Leonardo MD-80 2010 (a little rough in some areas, but unmatched in others)

Level D 767

PMDG 747

PMDG JS4100

Flightsim Labs Concorde-X (very tough to learn)

Simcheck A300

Also, keep an eye out for the upcoming Milviz 737-200, and the Coolsky DC-9 for old school airliner flying.

Molleh, the VC in that vid is the updated one. Go to the leveld forums and look for andrè's VC mod/update. It's there.

Molly, I'd go with the LDS767 with the VC update as the others mentioned. I have the CaptSim 757 and FeelThere E-Jets, but not your other choices due to them being to simplified except for the Maddog of course, but between the CS 757 and E-Jets, the LDS 767 is the best of the choices in my opinion. I got the CS 757 during their annual Christmas sale for 9.99 and paid full price for the E-Jets, but I have probably less than 20 hours between the two of them just due to the fact that the LDS is a much better a/c and gets better FPS on my rig than the other two.

As far as your reasoning for not getting the NGX I can see your point. I have a nice Japanese car that I intended to use as a daily commuter car with good gas mileage, but I also own a nice German sports coupe, and to be honest, the German car gets most of the use despite getting horrible gas mileage, it makes the Japanese car feel like a hooptie and I cant drive it more than 2 days in a row, lol.

I'll tell you this as well. If you get the LDS or any of the other choices you mentioned and then get the NGX down the road, you might end up in the same situation and never return to those other choices and it will just be money wasted. The only reason I own the LDS767, PMDG 747, E-Jets and the other tubes in my sig was just because they were used as something to fly until the NGX came out. But, now that I have the NGX I cant bare to fly the other ones even though most of them are fine a/c. Just get the NGX and save your money :-)

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

If you fancy a complex airliner which is a little bit different, why not try the A2A Boeing 377 with the COTS add on? - you will see that there are other things out there which are every bit as good as the PMDG 737 NG. Sure the PMDG bird is good, excellent in fact, but the 377 shows that it isn't alone at the top of the tree.

Incidentally, my car was built in 1960, when the Boeing Stratocruiser was still flying commercial passenger flights, and I drive that pretty much daily.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

Something else to consider, the upcoming PMDG 777 and 747 version 2 will meet or exceed the NGX, s0 you could have a stable of "NGX" level airliners eventually.

If you fancy a complex airliner which is a little bit different, why not try the A2A Boeing 377 with the COTS add on? - you will see that there are other things out there which are every bit as good as the PMDG 737 NG. Sure the PMDG bird is good, excellent in fact, but the 377 shows that it isn't alone at the top of the tree.

Incidentally, my car was built in 1960, when the Boeing Stratocruiser was still flying commercial passenger flights, and I drive that pretty much daily.

Al

I second that.

I bought it the other week (on Al's recommendation!) and have been absolutely delighted with it - it really is a stunning add-on in every respect.