Sign in to follow this  
MaorC

Good aircrafts for IFR ;)

I also have the Duke but for some obscure reason I've had an issue with it taking off from Darrington, such as not being able to get it off the ground, and never went back to it again.

Assuming you are talking about the piston version. Was that a problem with running out of runway or something else? I don't know how Beech determines the performance data, reading some 1800+ ft, but the runway at Darrington, a full load and some high density altitude may indeed render the takeoff to a close encounter. I haven't tried her there so far.

The turbine is close to taking off vertically though. :biggrin: So whenever you say 'I need some more power' to her, she will respond with 'I (still) have plenty left'.

Was that a problem with running out of runway or something else?

Spot-on CoolP. That is exactly what happens. I can get the Britten-Norman Islander off Darrington, including CaptSim's C-130, and yet with the Duke I end up in that forest, and when I do manage to her up, hand-flying her she just goes spinning in a lateral mode, so I just gave up.

Makes me wanna try her at Darrington. I'll take that as a tip. Same for the C-130. :Party: I guess the BN2 was laughing at that long runway, being able to takeoff and land twice at that location and without flying the circuit.

Did you give her full rpm and mixture? Ok, a bit off topic now. :mellow: It's just that she's a great plane, not only in regard to the topic.

I've just tried her at Darrington with rw weather, some 20C, 50% fuel and the cabin full of wealthy folks (6). GW was 2.7t. Forget that takeoff, that's not a piston Duke field as you will get very close or beyond the runway limits with your required takeoff distance.

I've just tried her at Darrington with rw weather, some 20C, 50% fuel and the cabin full of wealthy folks (6). GW was 2.7t. Forget that takeoff, that's not a piston Duke field as you will get very close or beyond the runway limits with your required takeoff distance

I take it that you are referring to the Duke here? If it is, then many thanks for that research. I was beginning to think that there was something with the Duke that just did not work for me, seeing that it has had its praises sung for so long.

Yes, that BN2 is a sheer joy to use at Darrington.Took off from there and over the mountains all the way to some Municipal airport as I was running low on fuel heading for Santa Barbara. It's a lovely twin-prop to use.

Same with the CaptSim C-130.

I think the Duke B60 will cope with that runway, if you reduce the fuel load and carefully tune your mixture to compensate for the altitude, then line up at the bitter end of the runway, parking brakes on, full throttle, then release. You are stalling and spinning no doubt because you are climbing away too slow and too steep (probably to clear the trees!). The mixture is the most important since at the wrong setting you could be halving your available power.

Also try half flap,or just one notch. I feel sure you'll make it!

Rob - RealAir

Robert Young - retired full time developer - see my Nexus Mod Page and my GitHub Mod page

Agreed. The reduced load alone might give an edge. 2.7t didn't work out well and the trees came in huge. Nail%20Biting.gif

Thank you Rob and CoolP. I'll try those suggestions when I get around to getting the Duke out of the hangar where 'he' is now moping!

Building time on a variety of other aircraft first.

Hi ,

Wow that topic become`s hotter and hotter ;)

Very intresting comments , thanks for everybody ,

So regard to this topic and comments , the hot aircraft and the popular is :

Lionheart Epic L .

RealAir B60 Duke ( not turbine i dont like , too powerful ) .

BN-2

C337 .

Now help me choose ;)

Who has the comfortable cockpit ? BTW i dont care about the price , i just want realistic and super - cool & fun a/c .

Good OP Manuals + Books .

Autopilot .

DME , GPS , and the most important - realistic and common the the real life .

Help me choose please ;)

BTW I will be very happy to get some popular \ fun IFR routes .

Thank you all , really ! ,

Maor ;)

You won't miss anything on the manuals of the Duke and BN-2. Very good reads while the Carenado plane comes with more basic data, but still offering e.g. performance tables and checklists. I can't comment on the Lionheart plane.

You will find the most capable autopilot in the Duke due to the touring character of the plane. The BN-2 has a very basic one, same for the C337. So while I see the Duke running complete IFR flights and longer autopilot flown portions, the other two differ from that character trait.

You won't have any trouble with the cockpits of those three. All of them are very good when it comes to nice gauges and sharp textures, but the Duke also adds some rain effects on the windshield, which is nice. You might see a slightly higher fps impact with the Duke though, but nothing severe.

From the sheer instrumentation and character, I think the Duke will be best for your IFR plans.

If you like to run a twin without a pressurized cabin and no turbocharged engines, then the Milviz C310 is an option I think. Full POH documentation, nice gauges, nice framerates and those new landing lights. Cruise speeds are lower and you won't fly her at high FL, which may act as positive or negative point of course.

In your list, the Duke is the only plane being able to reach quite high FL and pressurizing its cabin. For single engine, the Lancair from Orbx could do that too and cruises as fast as the turbine Duke if you like. Also comes with full a POH, rain effects and new landing lights.

Ok i think i will go on the Duke B60 ,

BTW what kind of GPS it has ?

And there is a manual for the GPS ? because all the Garmin 1000 - that things i never get how to use it .

Maor .

That's a tweaked default GPS in the Duke, so those docs are already in the FSX Learning Center. If you ever run out of features there, maybe consider one or two RXP units. Not that cheap, but very detailed.

What ? All the B60 Duke is almost perfect and it has half default GPS ? what GPS it uses in real life ?

Don't worry, the gauges will work for most things. Real life gauge setups may differ from owner to owner but if you would get the RXP GPS, you will be very close to rw GPS units, surely running in some Dukes.

Special GPS gauges on addon planes are rare. Aerosoft models some, Ant's Airplanes does, most devs are using tweaked default ones, like on the Duke, but none will give you the full scale features of rw counterparts. That's a thing you have to buy with e.g. the RXP units. FMC driven planes or the G1000 renditions from Flight1 offer a lot of details out of the box.

Keep in mind that the dev work on an addon GA plane is done to give you the actual plane in good detail, not the GPS gauge part. So, for full details, maybe get the Duke and some RXP 530. The Duke also features a very nice VC setup to allow for a beautiful RXP integration.

What ? All the B60 Duke is almost perfect and it has half default GPS ?

I bet if you polled B60 and Turbine Duke owners, you'd find that most of us use RealityXP GPS' with our Dukes, which is probably why you don't hear many comments on the installed GPS. I've got a lot of hours in the 2 Dukes, and not one minute with the default GPS, so I have no idea what it's like. Real Air's RealityXP integration is excellent.

If you have questions on the Dukes and their systems, Real Air does allow you to download their manuals from their website. They should answer most of your questions.

Scott

where can i but the RXP GPS ? thats a file in the SIM or Real GPS for like ... homecockpit ?

Maor .