Sign in to follow this  
mr340

Which is the most Legendary Aircraft?

Hey guys i want to know which is the most legendary aircraft ever existed . I know there are few of them out there . So please let me know some of them an what they have accomplish in the past?Am making a nice video paying respect to these legendary aircraft.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz
SSD -Crucial MX500 1TB (P3D Install Only)
OS- Samsung 960 EVO 500GB (Window 10 Pro 64)

DC-3 (C47).

"American Airlines inaugurated passenger service on June 26, 1936, with simultaneous flights from Newark, N.J. and Chicago, IL. Early U.S. airlines like American, United, TWA and Eastern ordered over 400 DC-3s. These fleets paved the way for the modern American air travel industry, quickly replacing trains as the favored means of long-distance travel across the United States.

During World War II, many civilian DC-3s were drafted for the war effort and just over 10,000 US military versions of the DC-3 were built, under the designations C-47, C-53, R4D, and Dakota.

The aircraft's legendary ruggedness is enshrined in the lighthearted description of the DC-3 as "a collection of parts flying in loose formation".

Perhaps unique among prewar and wartime aircraft, the DC-3 is in daily use. The very large number of civil and military operators of the DC-3/C-47s and related types, means that a listing of all the airlines, air forces and other current operators is impractical. As of 2012, DC-3 #10 is still used daily for flights in Colombia."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Douglas_DC-3

Superglide beat me to it.

DC-3 / C-47. Arguably the best engineered aircraft of all time.

For me, the Concorde. :smile: Not only does it still look like a very graceful rendition of an airplane, it also involved some major challenges in designing and building it. Running it for decades in active passenger service also is an achievement to be noted.

Watching a good documentary about it or just looking at some photos transports a thrill no other plane does. Raise your glass of champagne, guys, at Mach 2 if you like. :Party:

Concorde - Is there a more beautiful/impressive transport aircraft?

P-51 - That's easy.

Spitfire - Sleek lines, defended the UK.

B-17- Let the bomber crews she brought home speak about her

It's near impossible to name THE most legendary. So let's stick with the mother of all powered aircraft, the Wright Flyer.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Zachary Waddell -- Caravan Driver --

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/zwaddell

Avsim ToS

Avsim Screenshot Rules

Hey thanks guys. I have the concord on my list . The concord will make this big entrance landing for this lengendary video . Having couple of legendary aircraft landing . Having the new generation aircraft line up on the side of the runway paying respect an tribute to all those aircraft you guys mention above.

Mr Leny

CPU I7 8700K @ 5.0GHz , MOBO -Asus Maximus X Hero (WiFi AC),GPU - GTX1080 TI , RAM - CORSAIR Vengeance RGB 16GB DDR4 3600MHz

If you had to pick one, it's undoubtedly the DC-3. But if you are looking for others which might conceivably be described as Legendary, then it would be anything which has a somewhat mythical or almost magical aura around it.

History isn't always very fair where that kind of thing is concerned, for example, in the Battle of Britain, the Hawker Hurricane was there in far greater numbers than the Supermarine Spitfire, but it was the Spitfire which came away with the legendary status, and the Junkers Ju-87, which was often easily shot down during that battle (mostly by Hurricanes) also achieved a legendary status greater than the Messerschmitt bf-109 which did most of the fighting for the Germans. In WW1, the Fokker E.III Eindecker became a legend simply by virtue of having a forward-firing machine gun, the aircraft itself was a relatively mediocre affair. It's just as unfair where civilian flying is concerned too; the deHavilland Comet was the first jet airliner, but the later Boeing 707 is always considered the aircraft which ushered in the jet age.

Some potential candidates in no particular order (and from this list you can see that legends are often born of warfare and misfortune):

Cessna 172.

L-1011 Tristar (lagely because of the infamous Flight 401 ghost stories).

Supermarine Spitfire Mark II.

Junkers Ju-87B 'Stuka'.

Messerschmitt Me-262A Schwalbe.

North American P-51 Mustang D.

Boeing B-17F/G Flying Fortress.

deHavilland Mosquito Mark VI.

Mistubishi A6M 'Zero'.

Fieseler Fi-103 Vergeltungswaffe.

Boeing 707-320.

Curtiss JN-4 Jenny.

Fokker Dr1 Triplane.

Fokker E.III Eindecker.

SPAD XIII.

Avro Lancaster BI/BIII.

Wright Flyer.

LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin.

Gee Bee Model R Super Sportster.

deHavilland Tiger Moth.

Boeing Model 75 Stearman.

Boeing 747-100.

BAC/Aerospatiale Concorde.

Junkers Ju-52/3.

Ford 4-AT Trimotor.

Boeing 247D.

Lockheed Model 10 Electra.

Hawker-Siddeley Harrier.

McDonnell-Douglas F4D/E Phantom.

Gloster Gladiator.

Boeing B-29 Superfortress.

Hughes H-4 Hercules.

There are many more which probably should be on that list, but there's plenty to go at there - Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

From an "engineering" perspective,I would say the Lockheed SR71.

As a "monumental" achievement,the Hughes H4 Hercules.

Don't forget the legendary B-52 which has lasted for over............well........must be nearly 60 years.

Dakota DC3...

Howard
MSI Mag B650 Tomahawk MB, Ryzen7-7800X3D CPU@5ghz, Arctic AIO II 360 cooler, Nvidia RTX3090 GPU, 32gb DDR5@6000Mhz, SSD/2Tb+SSD/500Gb+OS, Corsair 1000W PSU, Philips BDM4350UC 43" 4K IPS, MFG Crosswinds, TQ6 Throttle, Fulcrum One Yoke
My FlightSim YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/@skyhigh776

DC-3 for sure...

I hope some day A2A will announce they are making a Accusim version of her..

Best regards, Fritz ESSONO

If you had to pick one, it's undoubtedly the DC-3. But if you are looking for others which might conceivably be described as Legendary, then it would be anything which has a somewhat mythical or almost magical aura around it.

History isn't always very fair where that kind of thing is concerned, for example, in the Battle of Britain, the Hawker Hurricane was there in far greater numbers than the Supermarine Spitfire, but it was the Spitfire which came away with the legendary status, and the Junkers Ju-87, which was often easily shot down during that battle (mostly by Hurricanes) also achieved a legendary status greater than the Messerschmitt bf-109 which did most of the fighting for the Germans. In WW1, the Fokker E.III Eindecker became a legend simply by virtue of having a forward-firing machine gun, the aircraft itself was a relatively mediocre affair. It's just as unfair where civilian flying is concerned too; the deHavilland Comet was the first jet airliner, but the later Boeing 707 is always considered the aircraft which ushered in the jet age.

Some potential candidates in no particular order (and from this list you can see that legends are often born of warfare and misfortune):

Cessna 172.

L-1011 Tristar (lagely because of the infamous Flight 401 ghost stories).

Supermarine Spitfire Mark II.

Junkers Ju-87B 'Stuka'.

Messerschmitt Me-262A Schwalbe.

North American P-51 Mustang D.

Boeing B-17F/G Flying Fortress.

deHavilland Mosquito Mark VI.

Mistubishi A6M 'Zero'.

Fieseler Fi-103 Vergeltungswaffe.

Boeing 707-320.

Curtiss JN-4 Jenny.

Fokker Dr1 Triplane.

Fokker E.III Eindecker.

SPAD XIII.

Avro Lancaster BI/BIII.

Wright Flyer.

LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin.

Gee Bee Model R Super Sportster.

deHavilland Tiger Moth.

Boeing Model 75 Stearman.

Boeing 747-100.

BAC/Aerospatiale Concorde.

Junkers Ju-52/3.

Ford 4-AT Trimotor.

Boeing 247D.

Lockheed Model 10 Electra.

Hawker-Siddeley Harrier.

McDonnell-Douglas F4D/E Phantom.

Gloster Gladiator.

Boeing B-29 Superfortress.

Hughes H-4 Hercules.

There are many more which probably should be on that list, but there's plenty to go at there - Al

Yea but why is that a lot of people look at the DC as aircraft that had a lot of failures , i always thought these DC series had to have something good about them. Because if they weren't that good why would companies be buying them for. So i try to get the positive out of the DC -10 an all the DC series. Even in FS Passanger sometime when you are about to buy an aircraft that is a DC series it tells you that this aircraft have a history of failures are you sure you want to buy it. So all am saying i just like to get the positve out of the DC i mean something had to be good.

Mr Leny

I hope some day A2A will announce they are making a Accusim version of her..

Oh heck yes!

That would make my year...

Yea but why is that a lot of people look at the DC as aircraft that had a lot of failures , i always thought these DC series had to have something good about them. Because if they weren't that good why would companies be buying them for. So i try to get the positive out of the DC -10 an all the DC series. Even in FS Passanger sometime when you are about to buy an aircraft that is a DC series it tells you that this aircraft have a history of failures are you sure you want to buy it. So all am saying i just like to get the positve out of the DC i mean something had to be good.
Well especially DC-10 had bad history with its cargo door problem that was actually known by Douglas but not fixed even after one severe accident (which thankfully didn't result in a crash because of luck, low payload and skillful pilots), and those criminals in Douglas waited until Turkish Airlines plane crashed and killed hundreds of innocent people. Only after that fix was made, but their hands were on blood already. And there was several other severe technical failure accidents involving DC-10 too.

Also if we think about their later aircrafts MD-11 hasn't had perfect history either, lots of landing accidents and hull loss rate many times worse than for example A340 and B777 that are mostly based on technology from about same age. That's mainly because of its horizontal stabilizer which was made smaller to somehow reduce fuel burn by allowing plane to cruise with less nose up position, but same time made plane less stable to fly on approach and landing.

Well especially DC-10 had bad history with its cargo door problem that was actually known by Douglas but not fixed even after one severe accident (which thankfully didn't result in a crash because of luck, low payload and skillful pilots), and those criminals in Douglas waited until Turkish Airlines plane crashed and killed hundreds of innocent people. Only after that fix was made, but their hands were on blood already. And there was several other severe technical failure accidents involving DC-10 too.

Also if we think about their later aircrafts MD-11 hasn't had perfect history either, lots of landing accidents and hull loss rate many times worse than for example A340 and B777 that are mostly based on technology from about same age. That's mainly because of its horizontal stabilizer which was made smaller to somehow reduce fuel burn by allowing plane to cruise with less nose up position, but same time made plane less stable to fly on approach and landing.

Yea i totally agree with you . I herd lot of people talking about success of these DC series aircraft . But every time i watch air crash investigation they always tell the story of the failures history of these aircraft . I mean every aircraft suffer problems onces in a while but come on every time i hear the Name DC someone always talk about a failure or a crash . An its sad because as a kid growing up once i saw that engine on the tail of there aircraft i used to say to myself wawo i want to pilot that some day . But now watching these video i would be afriad getting into one of those even dow they don't run anymore only as cargo planes .

Mr Leny