Sign in to follow this  
Will Dunn

How big is the jump from the QW 757 to the PMDG 747?

So I just took the plunge... bought PMDG's 747. Got GSX recently and the Overland models really don't work at all well with it. Add that to already wanting the 747 and there's double incentive, haha.

So naturally I'm wondering how big a learning curve I'm facing. The most complex A/C I have that I actively use is the QW 757... sophisticated-ISH. How big a jump will it be from those systems to the 747?

Want to know what I've let myself in for :P

QW has great visuals. but basic systems. There are tutorials on YouTube, and of course PMDG's fantastic manual. Enjoy the huge systems leap!

LUIS LINARES

Processor: Intel Core i9 6700K 9900K (5.0 GHz Turbo) Eight Core; CPU Cooling: NXXT Kraken X62 280mm CPU Liquid Cooler; System Memory: 64GB Corsair DDR4 SDRAM @ 3200 MHz, RGB; Graphics Processor: 11GB Nvidia GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, GDDR6, Primary Drive: 2TB Samsung 850 Pro Solid State Drive (SSD)

PMDG is for extreme hardcore simmers. You are going to need to read the manuals, follow some Youtube videos or use the Angle of Attack training to really get the hang of the Queen of the Skies.

I don't think it's going to be too hard to setup a flight if you're familiar with QW 752, we're talking FS here, not real world. Cockpit sort of works the same, you're just a little havier and there's four engines. I don't think QW is that basic. You have to setup the FMC etc.

I don't think it's going to be too hard to setup a flight if you're familiar with QW 752, we're talking FS here, not real world. Cockpit sort of works the same, you're just a little havier and there's four engines. I don't think QW is that basic. You have to setup the FMC etc.

The 747 is similar to the 757. Once you learn the FMC then the rest is easy.

Thanks guys, bit scared :P

But I can't even install it now, I can't get past the validation process. I enter the right email, password and order number, yet it never validates. Firewall's turned off too.

<br />Want to know what I've let myself in for<br />

Transition from QW 757 to PMDG 747? No problem...Get the switchology down and learn the more detailed FMC, and you'll nail it.

Transition from the QW 757 to the PMDG 734 NGX, on the other hand, and I suggest you negotiate a deal with monks in a monastery in the Hindu Kush somewhere. Get yourself a carved stone room with stone bed and desk; ask only for gruel three meals a day to toughen you up, and study for a year in absolute silence.. When you can get into the cold and dark 737 NGX, bring her to life, and when you go to arm the VNAV, and your palms are not dripping with sweat, you will have spread enough karma to have paid for that visit to the monastery.

Will, are you using Internet Explorer when you try validation? I ask because I had a problem or two with validating A/C software, and their respective tech support people recommended using IE. Worked.

aputech

Transition from QW 757 to PMDG 747? No problem...Get the switchology down and learn the more detailed FMC, and you'll nail it.

Transition from the QW 757 to the PMDG 734 NGX, on the other hand, and I suggest you negotiate a deal with monks in a monastery in the Hindu Kush somewhere. Get yourself a carved stone room with stone bed and desk; ask only for gruel three meals a day to toughen you up, and study for a year in absolute silence.. When you can get into the cold and dark 737 NGX, bring her to life, and when you go to arm the VNAV, and your palms are not dripping with sweat, you will have spread enough karma to have paid for that visit to the monastery.

Oh you sir, you are a poet.

Will, are you using Internet Explorer when you try validation? I ask because I had a problem or two with validating A/C software, and their respective tech support people recommended using IE. Worked.

aputech

That's interesting. No... but what are you referring to? The purchase or the actual installation? I used Firefox to buy it, but obviously when installing there's no browser involved...

Basically I get to the validation page on the installer, I enter the same password, email and order number as I have on my PMDG account page, but it never works. Just comes up with "Your user information could not be validated"

When you can get into the cold and dark 737 NGX, bring her to life, and when you go to arm the VNAV, and your palms are not dripping with sweat, you will have spread enough karma to have paid for that visit to the monastery.

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

typed a long post, but the continuing forum double post glitch meant it went awry, so here's the short version - email PMDG or post in their forums, and don't sweat it about the 747, a quick read of the manuals will see you in the air in no time.

Al

Alan Bradbury

Check out my youtube flight sim videos: Here

typed a long post, but the continuing forum double post glitch meant it went awry, so here's the short version - email PMDG or post in their forums, and don't sweat it about the 747, a quick read of the manuals will see you in the air in no time.

Al

Haha, that's fine! Yus I sent a ticket to their support, so hopefully they'll get back soon. And that's good to hear! I'm a little daunted by putting a whole flightplan into the FMC, and by SIDS and STARS, but the rest that I've seen on tutorial vids so far seems similar enough.

Thanks for the advice :)

How many Microsoft software engineers does it take to change a light bulb? None....They just define darkness as the new industry standard.

:LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO: :LMAO:

So I just took the plunge... bought PMDG's 747.

I'm kind of surprise you bought it considering they are going to do the 747 v2. I held off for a long time on the Queen until I saw it at Fry's for $25, although since I only paid a few bucks for it I will certainly spend the $70 for v2 when it comes out since it will have more up to date graphics and any other improvements they will add from v1.

Open a support ticket on their site if you cant get it activated.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator